Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In the past three years, at least eight robbery or burglary suspects have been shot or stabbed after they broke into valley businesses and homes. All but one of those shootings by home or business owners have been ruled justified by authorities.

Las Vegas Homeowner shoots intruder to death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM

665 posts, read 1,728,305 times
I've made it clear from my posts in this thread that even if you have a licence to carry a gun you are still VERY vulnerable and even more-so when you are paranoid.

Tiger and Chuck obviously don't read very well ...or.... have a problem understanding....... things.

Carrying a gun for self defence is not a "hobby".

Why are so many people so proud of their guns and their amazing shooting abilities.

All this bravado about "you can't touch me cause I have a gun" blah, blah, blah....... pathetic

Grow some muscles of your own.

PS. There should be manditory psych. tests for EVERY CCW permit holder in the country.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Good advise.
Let the robber kill you so you wont be sued.
Would you expect anything less from a sheep?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
I've made it clear from my posts in this thread that even if you have a licence to carry a gun you are still VERY vulnerable and even more-so when you are paranoid.

Tiger and Chuck obviously don't read very well ...or.... have a problem understanding....... things.

Carrying a gun for self defence is not a "hobby".

Why are so many people so proud of their guns and their amazing shooting abilities.

All this bravado about "you can't touch me cause I have a gun" blah, blah, blah....... pathetic

Grow some muscles of your own.

PS. There should be manditory psych. tests for EVERY CCW permit holder in the country.
Damn, I knew it....you are Chuck Norris....

And the muscle thing does not always work...I'm 5'10" 215 and arond 15 - 20% Body Fat...and I still carry...

So anyway..you cannot provide any information except your opinion...

You have not provided any legit argument that "we who carry" need a physc eval...just your opinion....(Still waitng on the 99% link)

You have not provided any legit argument that "if you shot someone" you will be in court for years and years....

Ahhhh, but one QUICK google search I proved you wrong...and I stand behind that...

BTW this is the Hobbies and Recreation thread....If I want to carry my pistiol while I'm out "recreating" that is my choice.

I read and comprehend very well, thank you. I know when a TROLL is trying to get peoples blood pressure up...sorry not working....

If you want to bash us law abiding people, start a thread of your own...and have at...be prepared to back it up...oh wait....you don't have anything to back up what you say....

Old 04-14-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
where did you pull this idea of sheep from?

typical gun nut ............. big mouth no balls
Typical anti-gun nut....no balls, huge mouth hiding behind the screen....

Old 04-14-2011, 01:08 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My personal favorite is my Walther PPK/S. It gets poo-pooed for the .380 ACP round, but I can hit with it. I am confident of it. That's very important.
I think I've seen the design in 9mm somewhere. I used to have a Bersa knock-off of the PPK (in .380). Sig Sauer makes a lovely version, too.

If it's good enough for James Bond...

Old 04-14-2011, 01:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
And doesn't Glock make a very compact 45 caliber pistol???
Kahr makes an even better one, IMO.

To return to the original question, I think the best CCW for a first-time gun owner is the one on page 12 of this diatribe, the one shown by ScoPro. I want one for myself, in fact.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
They're great for cover fire while running away. Or even to intimidate a would-be robber. I just don't think they're practical in a gun fight.

If they were (practical) they would be issued to soldiers.
Everything that's issued to military members is not necessarily the best example of the art. Many many GIs in Viet Nam would have gladly kept their M-14s rather than the issued M-16s. Hard to fight when your rifle is in pieces, getting some stoppage-inducing gunk out.
The 9mm was adopted for essentially PC reasons, ammo commonality with NATO. I don't recall the last time I got re-ammo'd by a NATO ally, but...oh wait, it was NEVER!

I believe the majority of military types who've had range time and instruction with the 1911 .45 and the Beretta 9mm would choose the .45.

Many police departments who re-armed with the "sexy" 9mm in the 1990s eventually rejected it and moved to the .40 cal. The difference is, in real life-or-death experience the 9 does not have the horsepower of the .45, the .40, or .357.

The 9mm has proven frustrating in the sand boxes, to many troops. I'd prefer an 8-round .357 to a 16-round 9mm were I in that situation.
Reliable knock-down, more reliable action in a sandy environment, speaks with greater authority so those downrange can understand the seriousness of their situation, can use as a hammer in hand-to-hand situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No guys, I'm not saying any pistol/revolver/semi auto (what ever you call it) is more accurate than the other.

I carry 1 magazine with me and no more, yea it holds 15 but.... Just be accurate and you should not have to re-load...that is just my opinion...

Now if you do have to re-load, you are in the wrong place anyway...and in my own opinion, no matter how many bullets you have, your not gonna win...My opinion only...

Kinda like I tell my son....

This is just an analogy...

Driving a 4 wheel drive, you keep it in 2 wheel drive, drive the heck out of it, then when you feel you about to get stuck...put it in 4 wheel drive and get out...
Your accuracy message was clear as a bell, it would take a serious misread to think you were saying one is more accurate than the other.
It's ultimately the shooter who determines accuracy.

Quote:
Why do you feel the need to question this poster?

Do you suspect that the robbers were actually white or latino, and that the poster lied about their race for his own evil ends?

Or

Do you expect the poster to sugar coat the truth of what ever happened in the name of political correctness?
PC is the most important thing in the world.

Quote:
I think that 99 percent of civilians who feel that they need to carry a gun are paranoid and need psychological assistance.

I have never met a civilian gun "enthusiast" that didn't have a story about when they "had to use their weapon"

Hey, I have an idea ! Join the Army, then you can have some real stories and advice.
I've met numerous CC and to a man or woman they are not the braggarts you describe. Read John Lott's More Guns, Less Crime 3rd. edition for detailed data and discussion on the concealed carry issue.

Perhaps you run with the wrong crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
So, the comparatively small number of individuals you've had contact with somehow qualifies you to pronounce a blanket judgment of 99% of civilian concealed carry practicioners.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion about those that choose to carry concealed but based on your post an opinion is all you've got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
To quote from another post, what do we have to be paranoid about? We have a gun
Indeed. And there is no such thing as a crime free zone.

Oh, except where CC is illegal, of course. Churches. Universities. Day Cares. Schools. Military bases. We all know the Bad Guys respect all laws. Who would suspect different?

Quote:
Good advise.
Let the robber kill you so you wont be sued.
Sooner or later in these discussions, the horrific Connecticut home invasion case creeps into my mind.
Wife and daughters raped, daughters' bedroom doused with gasoline, girls tied to their beds, husband/father beaten, cops on hold for hours until all three women were long dead by horrible methods.

For want of a gun... I never heard how the punks gained entry, but that situation could have turned out differently.
As it did turn out, it sickens me.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 04-14-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,305 times
Here is a perfect theme song for all you would-be heros with your secret hidden gun "just in case something happens"

YouTube - Theme Song to Mighty Mouse

Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
I think that 99 percent of civilians who feel that they need to carry a gun are paranoid and need psychological assistance.

I have never met a civilian gun "enthusiast" that didn't have a story about when they "had to use their weapon"

Hey, I have an idea ! Join the Army, then you can have some real stories and advice.
A lot of gun enthusiasts are military veterans.

I am a gun enthusiast, and thankfully I don't have any stories to tell about using one of my weapons in a self-defense situation, but then again I do live in a very Pro-gun state, Arizona, where many citizens do carry weapons.

The one self-defense situation that I can tell you about was with a former girlfriend of mine back in December of 1994. She had just gotten done with her Christmas shopping at was then a new mall in the northwest part of the Phoenix area that opened only a couple of months earlier, and the place was somewhat isolated back then. According to her, she was walking out to her car carrying a couple of bags, and it was around dusk, when she realized that somebody was following her. She kept walking until she got to her car, and the guy kept walking towards her, she said that there were not too many other vehicles parked close to hers. She got to her car, set the bags down and drew her .357 magnum out of her purse to let the guy know that she is armed and ready to defend herself. As soon as he saw the weapon, he stopped, turned around and ran in a different direction. That right there was the best indication that he had sinister motives and he was not collecting for any charaties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting