Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Do any of you guys have a CZ pistol? They look pretty slick and it seems a lot of dealers have been getting surplus shipments of these. Just curious if anyone has experience with one and what your opinion was.
I don't recall where, but I think at one point I did a search for "best carry pistol" and found a list, and CZ was right up there if I remember. I don't personally know anything about them, though.

In our search for a carry pistol, hubby wound up choosing the Springfield XD 9mm subcompact and we have been just thrilled with it (in fact, I'll be buying a second one for me in spite of the temptation to buy something different to avoid having two of the same gun...I'll be getting it in the pretty two-tone model and hubby has the black one). It shoots comfortably (I can't believe that even with the standard magazine, it's comfortable to grip, and less recoil and more accurate than my full-size Glock 17)

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:10 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I don't recall where, but I think at one point I did a search for "best carry pistol" and found a list, and CZ was right up there if I remember. I don't personally know anything about them, though.

In our search for a carry pistol, hubby wound up choosing the Springfield XD 9mm subcompact and we have been just thrilled with it (in fact, I'll be buying a second one for me in spite of the temptation to buy something different to avoid having two of the same gun...I'll be getting it in the pretty two-tone model and hubby has the black one). It shoots comfortably (I can't believe that even with the standard magazine, it's comfortable to grip, and less recoil and more accurate than my full-size Glock 17)

Good luck!
I wouldn't mind having a Springfield, but they are a bit out of my price range. We don't have any ranges here to try before you buy so to say so I'm going for broke. I've seen some of the CZ models online for 200$+/-.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
If you're looking for a super-subcompact that's inexpensive, I've heard very good things about the kel-tec and Bersa (danged if I can remember the models). They're considered "pocket pistols" and have a bite to them when you shoot them since they're so small. They run around $250 also.

So it's a balance. recoil vs. convenience (if it hurts too much to practice with, you're not gonna hit what you're shooting at...but if the gun's good to shoot but too cumbersome to carry, you'll leave it home).

Good luck!

p.s. try gunbroker.com, or gundeals.com, might help for price comparisons.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
If you're looking for a super-subcompact that's inexpensive, I've heard very good things about the kel-tec and Bersa (danged if I can remember the models). They're considered "pocket pistols" and have a bite to them when you shoot them since they're so small. They run around $250 also.

So it's a balance. recoil vs. convenience (if it hurts too much to practice with, you're not gonna hit what you're shooting at...but if the gun's good to shoot but too cumbersome to carry, you'll leave it home).

Good luck!

p.s. try gunbroker.com, or gundeals.com, might help for price comparisons.
Yeah I have a Beretta .40 and I like it quite a bit, but it is just a little too big to work for CCW...especially in the summer. I'll see if the local shops have any Kel-Tecs or Bersas, thanks.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:56 AM

4,688 posts, read 4,038,319 times
J Arp:

If you are referring to the CZ 82 pistol, then yes I do own one. It is a great weapon, compact, easy to conceal, and packs a punch. Also, one of the most accurate pistols I have ever fired. They have a painted finish as opposed to being blued so some you run across might have a few chips. But most look like brand new and have not seen much firing. And the price isn't bad either. The one I picked up cost me $204 out the door. I actually like this gun so much that I'm going to get another one.

You can't go wrong with a CZ 82. Be the best money you ever spent.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
J Arp:

If you are referring to the CZ 82 pistol, then yes I do own one. It is a great weapon, compact, easy to conceal, and packs a punch. Also, one of the most accurate pistols I have ever fired. They have a painted finish as opposed to being blued so some you run across might have a few chips. But most look like brand new and have not seen much firing. And the price isn't bad either. The one I picked up cost me $204 out the door. I actually like this gun so much that I'm going to get another one.

You can't go wrong with a CZ 82. Be the best money you ever spent.

Yup I was looking at that one and the 83. Is the Makarov ammo much more expensive compared to .32 or .380, or harder to come by? I'm pretty sure they don't sell that at Wally-World.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Do any of you guys have a CZ pistol?
I have two CZ's. a 75B and a 75D PCR. I also have the .22 LR Kadet Kit conversion that fits on both.

The surplus CZ's you are probably talking about are the CZ-82's in 9MM Makarov caliber (9x18) which are currently being imported.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:38 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Is the Makarov ammo much more expensive compared to .32 or .380, or harder to come by? I'm pretty sure they don't sell that at Wally-World.
You can get 9MM Mak ammo easily and relatively cheaply from many on-line sources. Most Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas and others also sell it along with many local gun shops.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Other than being a purely defensive pocket carry pistol, the kel-tec has to be one of the worst pistols I've ever handled. It doesn't fit anybody's hand well, and it's got a horrific bite to it ... I put 30 rounds through one at a range on a "pre-buy" test, and my hand was very sore. The counterman laughed when I told him why I didn't like it and said that they used the kel-tec's as part of their CCW course to teach people what not to buy in a pocket pistol. Also, out of 30 rounds, I had 2 short cycle/misfeeds.

I'd take a larger, more comfortable to shoot, more accurate and reliable pistol from many other manufacturers before I'd ever spend any money on a kel-tec.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,142 times
CZ has always made fine firearms(and motorcycles, and refrigerators, and electric drills...).

The CZ 75 series is one of the best sidearms ever made, ecipsed only by the Glock, which is perhaps the finest holster gun on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting