Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 AM

63 posts, read 195,333 times

Advertisements

Get yourself a 12 gauge coach gun. Perfect for home protection. It is short and easy to handle. Looks great, and extremely practical and efficient. They're called coach guns because that whats the 1800s coachmen used for protection when driving their stage coaches. Easy to manipulate while handling your team of horses. Or so thats the theory!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
It is really hard to beat a good dog. Thiefs hate them.
Our dog patrols the house every hour at night. He does not sleep thru anything.

I keep a Glock 32 at hand as well. If you are not 100% sure of your weapon, a short barrel shotgun with a pistol grip would be safer.
Lol, yes the criminal element DESPISES a good canine. I was the victim of a home invasion once that was initially met by the dogs. They are a good , and cheap (mostly) alarm system with teeth and an attitude. I've said it before, but it bears repeating, that whatever weapon is chosen for home defense, the weapon itself is secondary to the person holding it. Don't just buy the thing and a box of ammo and stick it in a drawer to gather dust. Practice with it. Get some formal training or get involved in some competition. Competition is great because it forces you to function under pressure, and thats VERY important.

Last edited by NVplumber; 01-27-2009 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,814 times
You get what you pay for when it comes to almost anything!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I suggest the coach gun or the Taurus .410 Guage Judge. I like the idea of a stockless coach gun with a pistol grip. I wonder if it would be leagal?

Practice is vital to properly using any tool. learn to shoot before you have to use the thing.

Dracul is right but a coach gun only costs about $150 around here.

BTW - if you ever have to use one of these things in a house to defend yourself make certain you have a lot of paper towels on hand. When a human is hit with a 12 ga shot load at close range the blood and body parts go everywhere.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:06 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Allright boys, if going for a handgun, what is better? Revolver or Semi-Auto?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Apples and tomatoes.
I love a wheel gun but keep the Glock near the bed since it lays flater. Magazines are quicker to load, but autos can jam up. My Glock has the smallest profile of my handguns, well my Colt Mustang is smaller but it's only a .380 cal.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:40 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Totally depenent on how dedicated one is going to be in practice. If you are going to shoot regularly, and become TOTALLY familiar with the weapon, it's hard to beat a good .45 auto, if you aren't going to shoot much, and want simplicity, double action .38/.357 is the ticket. No frills with the latter, point and shoot. I , personally, LOVE my .45 Colt Anaconda. Big snake with a big bite. Colt no longer makes them though.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 PM

195 posts, read 741,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksinco View Post
I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to guns. I shot quite a bit as a kid....mostly shotguns. I live in Colorado now and would like to make a purchase for home protection. I'm leaning toward a shotgun, versus handgun/revolver.
I'd also like the added protection when I'm camping in the mountains, be it other humans or animals.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. It sounds like 12-guage is pretty standard. Is 16 or 20 too light?
For what it's worth, I have a 4-year old son who I'd like to teach about guns and responsibility as he grows, and a wife who is intimidated by them, so this will probably me for my use only.
Thanks.
For mountain and home protection!!
Shotgun is really the only choice!
I prefer the first shot to be a "rubber one" or warning shot then the 2nd one to be a "real one." Just in case, the "intruder" is actually a "friendly."
Shotgun user does not require marksmanship! Just point and shoot at the general direction; and you will hit the "jackpot."
...Of course, gun is gun; any gun can get jammed; and it is better to have the so called "sidearm." I prefer a 9 mm as a sidearm; and I still prefer the first shot to be a blank shot!
I am not a violent person; but I realize I cannot fight violence with my bare hands sometimes!!!!!!

Last edited by N.Y.Traveler; 01-27-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM

80 posts, read 258,237 times
My advise would be shoot to kill.No rubber bullets,No first round blanks or warning shots.
If the SOB is armed and in your house and you fear for your life don't take a chance on him taking you out before you can get that second shot off.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,814 times
...besides which, he'll probably be annoyed with a blank and infuriated with the rubber round and be more inclined to do you harm if he is a determined sort. The rubber round might inflict some injury, additionally, and result in bleeding heart lawyers being brought into the fray eventually filing suit against you! You might lose your house and assets to your intruder as I'm sure you are aware. Shoot to kill first time out and take your chances with the legal vicissitudes and mine fields later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting