Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 01:37 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,731 times

Advertisements

Maybe , maybe not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And center mass will usually result in death of the subject
Got some sources , links , whatever , to provide more details ?

There are a lot of factors that could influence survival rates.
Inquiring minds want to know , not just accept anything they see on the error-net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
Maybe , maybe not:

Got some sources , links , whatever , to provide more details ?

There are a lot of factors that could influence survival rates.
Inquiring minds want to know , not just accept anything they see on the error-net.
Please! A 9mm or a .44 cal handgun - center mass, into the lungs or heart or other vital organs, will, in many (not all) cases, result in death.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:28 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And center mass will usually result in death of the subject

True, but its how its percieved in court that matters.
If you tell a jury you shot him in the chest trying for his vitals to kill him they're going to look at it like you were trying to kill him.
If you say you shot center of mass to stop the threat because its how you were trained they may look at it differently.
I think its a matter of leaving yourself deniability.
Either way the guy is dead, but one way you tried to kill him & suceeded & the other you tried to stop him & suceeded, but died as a consequence.

I'm not sure of the perticulars in your case but I'm sure you know that in most cases things can become convoluted after the fact.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:30 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
True, but its how its percieved in court that matters.
If you tell a jury you shot him in the chest trying for his vitals to kill him they're going to look at it like you were trying to kill him.
If you say you shot center of mass to stop the threat because its how you were trained they may look at it differently.
I think its a matter of leaving yourself deniability.
Either way the guy is dead, but one way you tried to kill him & suceeded & the other you tried to stop him & suceeded, but died as a consequence.

I'm not sure of the perticulars in your case but I'm sure you know that in most cases things can become convoluted after the fact.
Things can become VERY convuluted after he fact and if you must defend yourself in court after a defensive shooting be prpared for the worst. A lot depends on the court having jurisdiction (CA SUCKS for sure as would NYC or MA). We are fortunate here in that the law favors self defense. Shooting a Goblin will not usually end up with the victim being prosecuted, and taking apart the mechanics of the shooting is rare. Not every place is so well off.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Kind of makes you wonder if its even worth it. Catch 22- Perp kills you or you kill or wound the perp and the establishment hangs you.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 PM

60 posts, read 203,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Kind of makes you wonder if its even worth it. Catch 22- Perp kills you or you kill or wound the perp and the establishment hangs you.
Not at all. If I kill or stop the bad guy my loved ones live. If I do nothing fearing prosecution we all die. Only in the ridiculously liberal states would you be prosecuted if the shooting was self defense. I choose not to live in those states.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace_Maker View Post
Not at all. If I kill or stop the bad guy my loved ones live. If I do nothing fearing prosecution we all die. Only in the ridiculously liberal states would you be prosecuted if the shooting was self defense. I choose not to live in those states.
Good point, but some of us have good reasons to live in a ridiculously liberal state.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 PM

113 posts, read 155,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't want to kill anyone, even an attacker.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a legitimate permit to carry holding citizen that has the bloodlust that the PSH crowd seems to think we all have simply because we take a common sense step to defend ourselves.

True, the mentioned scenario isn't about people with a permit to carry but people making a stand in their home. The PTC issue just seems relevant because most of us in the carry community are portrayed as bloodthirsty sociopaths.

Quote:
I just want to stop the attack.
I think that's something anyone under attack can agree with. It's just that the methods of ending an attack and by the virtue of those methods, the end results vary widely both in effectiveness and permanence.

Quote:
If I can accomplish that by running away, driving away, crossing the street, etc. that's what I am going to do.
I'm with you on the driving away all the way (even if it includes up and over the potential attacker).

I'm with you on the crossing the street thing---provisionally. If I'm with my family or my girlfriend and I see a person pull a weapon on one of us, the first thing I'm gonna do is put myself between the threat and my family. Then, I will take whatever steps possible to eliminate the threat.

On my property the onus is on the intruder to justify their presence. If they refuse to leave, the burden on them is heavier.

In my house, all bets are off. If you break a window, kick in a door, climb down a chimney, whatever-without a very good reason-I will percieve you and whatever associates you have with you as a threat to my life and the lives of my loved ones and you will be dealt with as such.

I will be D***ED if I run away from my home on the whims of some thug or burglar.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:01 AM

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Things can become VERY convuluted after he fact and if you must defend yourself in court after a defensive shooting be prpared for the worst. A lot depends on the court having jurisdiction (CA SUCKS for sure as would NYC or MA). We are fortunate here in that the law favors self defense. Shooting a Goblin will not usually end up with the victim being prosecuted, and taking apart the mechanics of the shooting is rare. Not every place is so well off.
It seems that progress is being made , more and more states have reformed their self defense laws:

Wikipedia

Type in: Castle doctrine in the United States .

Concealed carry in the United States.

Wiki isn't perfect , but it has some quality control standards in place
to resist the usual error-net drivel.

The gun-grabbers like to make it seem as if only a few places have CCW or other modern self defense laws.
That's just not true.

For info on the aftermath of a self defense incident:
www.armedcitizensnetwork.net

Check out the network e-journal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting