Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
You gotta be careful. After firing a few thousand rounds through them the cocking spring sear gets worn and will allow the hammer to fall when cocking.

GL2
Oh, I don't know. I saw quite a few .50 cal ammo cans full of 12 GA reloads and stacks of cases of clays to form a good opinion on a less than $200 pump. No one ever said it was a $1000+ Benelli. It was much better quality than a Mavrick. I know a guy who owns a Benelli M2, M3, and a Remington 870 Police. He still likes his just fine even stacked up to those. That's saying a lot. I based my opinion on a Remington 11-87, Benelli M3, H&R single shot and a Mossberg 590 Military Police. That's the shotguns I own. If I find another, I'm buying it. I won't be buying it for the good old days prices though. They have really went up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Oh, I don't know. I saw quite a few .50 cal ammo cans full of 12 GA reloads and stacks of cases of clays to form a good opinion on a less than $200 pump. No one ever said it was a $1000+ Benelli. It was much better quality than a Mavrick. I know a guy who owns a Benelli M2, M3, and a Remington 870 Police. He still likes his just fine even stacked up to those. That's saying a lot. I based my opinion on a Remington 11-87, Benelli M3, H&R single shot and a Mossberg 590 Military Police. That's the shotguns I own. If I find another, I'm buying it. I won't be buying it for the good old days prices though. They have really went up!
SamTM I goofed. I goofed. I apologize. I meant the single shot shotgun shown underneath the PUMP. I didn't make my post clear. I had a single shot 12 gauge ina model similar to that shown in the picture ( probably manufactured by Harrington & Richardson?). After firing several thousand rounds the hammer would not stay cocked safely and would fall even when the trigger was NOT pulled. If proper GUN SAFETY was followed it should not be an issue. But it can scare the hell out of you when you are coming up on target and the weapons fires without pulling the trigger.

I don't think I have ever owned a Mavrick but I used an 870 for years and in my opinion it is one of the finest shotguns made.

GL2

Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
SamTM I goofed. I goofed. I apologize. I meant the single shot shotgun shown underneath the PUMP. I didn't make my post clear. I had a single shot 12 gauge ina model similar to that shown in the picture ( probably manufactured by Harrington & Richardson?). After firing several thousand rounds the hammer would not stay cocked safely and would fall even when the trigger was NOT pulled. If proper GUN SAFETY was followed it should not be an issue. But it can scare the hell out of you when you are coming up on target and the weapons fires without pulling the trigger.

I don't think I have ever owned a Mavrick but I used an 870 for years and in my opinion it is one of the finest shotguns made.

GL2
I love them all and miss the good old days of the cheap discount chains sales. I wish they ran sales like that today. They would put great firearms into the hands of people not working with much money. Some of them have became collector items. Remember those special Ruger 10/22s and Mini-14s that WAL-MART used to have made special for them? All stainless with a gray and green laminated stock. The sling was black and had "Ruger" in red embroidered on it. I wish I had one today! They sold them for a song on sale!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I love them all and miss the good old days of the cheap discount chains sales. I wish they ran sales like that today. They would put great firearms into the hands of people not working with much money. Some of them have became collector items. Remember those special Ruger 10/22s and Mini-14s that WAL-MART used to have made special for them? All stainless with a gray and green laminated stock. The sling was black and had "Ruger" in red embroidered on it. I wish I had one today! They sold them for a song on sale!
I heard that WalMart is going to start selling handguns again at selected stores. I don't know if it is true or not but it makes a good rumor. I do buy a lot of ammo at WalMart. I can get loaded ammo for about the same price as unfired brass at the local gun shops. So far they don't sell reloading supplies though.

I buy all of my guns through private sales or Gun Shows. I don't really want the government knowing how many or what I own. My only concern in doing that is the fact that I might inadvertently purchase a stolen firearm. I have a good friend that is a LEO in a state far far away that runs the numbers for me when I make a buy but technically he is not ALLOWED to do that. I have been writing letters to my elected officials for years to introduce legislation to set up a database of stolen firearms that the General Public could access to check out numbers. No luck so far.

GL2

Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I heard that WalMart is going to start selling handguns again at selected stores. I don't know if it is true or not but it makes a good rumor. I do buy a lot of ammo at WalMart. I can get loaded ammo for about the same price as unfired brass at the local gun shops. So far they don't sell reloading supplies though.

I buy all of my guns through private sales or Gun Shows. I don't really want the government knowing how many or what I own. My only concern in doing that is the fact that I might inadvertently purchase a stolen firearm. I have a good friend that is a LEO in a state far far away that runs the numbers for me when I make a buy but technically he is not ALLOWED to do that. I have been writing letters to my elected officials for years to introduce legislation to set up a database of stolen firearms that the General Public could access to check out numbers. No luck so far.

GL2
I buy most of mine new from FFLs at gun shows. The same dealer is usually cheaper at the show for the same gun. Same dealer, same gun, less money! They have to keep it low to compete. I only buy used on discontinued models and makes. Yeah, I know what you mean about ammo. I reload all my own practice ammo. If I need a box or two of factory, I buy it at Walmart. Why would I pay a gun shop $18 a box for 9mm when I can get it at Walmart for $12? Some people think that's wrong. Hey, it's $6! My self defense stuff comes from the gun shop and online. Walmart isn't too eager to sell it, and don't! It hurts their image! Oh well, I'll get it somewhere else!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I buy most of mine new from FFLs at gun shows. The same dealer is usually cheaper at the show for the same gun. Same dealer, same gun, less money! They have to keep it low to compete. I only buy used on discontinued models and makes. Yeah, I know what you mean about ammo. I reload all my own practice ammo. If I need a box or two of factory, I buy it at Walmart. Why would I pay a gun shop $18 a box for 9mm when I can get it at Walmart for $12? Some people think that's wrong. Hey, it's $6! My self defense stuff comes from the gun shop and online. Walmart isn't too eager to sell it, and don't! It hurts their image! Oh well, I'll get it somewhere else!
Some of the Gun Shows I have attended have police officers at the door and when you bring in a gun to trade or sell they will do a FREE check with NCIC(?) to see IF it has been reported stolen. The downside to this is that they are required to confiscate the weapon on the spot if it is stolen. I have only seen that at one or two Gun Shows and if I remember correctly they were in Oklahoma City and Dallas. They don't offer that service at any of the Gun Shows I have attended here in Nebraska. I like the idea. This assures me that a weapon I buy at a Gun Show is legal AND even more important there will be NO PAPER trail for a rogue government official to track down any weapons I buy at a Guns Show.

GL2

Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Some of the Gun Shows I have attended have police officers at the door and when you bring in a gun to trade or sell they will do a FREE check with NCIC(?) to see IF it has been reported stolen. The downside to this is that they are required to confiscate the weapon on the spot if it is stolen. I have only seen that at one or two Gun Shows and if I remember correctly they were in Oklahoma City and Dallas. They don't offer that service at any of the Gun Shows I have attended here in Nebraska. I like the idea. This assures me that a weapon I buy at a Gun Show is legal AND even more important there will be NO PAPER trail for a rogue government official to track down any weapons I buy at a Guns Show.

GL2
In my years of experience, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If say, someone has a Colt Python and they are asking $300 for it with no box???? Mmmm...I think I would pass on that one myself. If it has a box, all the paperwork, and is near market price, it's usually clean. Most thefts they don't bother to steal the box and paperwork with it too. That's just a general guideline for not buying a hot gun. Just because it doesn't have a box and paperwork doesn't mean it's hot though. Just watch the guy selling it and see if he acts nervious or shook-up. With some basic common sense, a homeowner can find great deals out there for their HD gun.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
What brand/caliber of handgun would you recommend - for this type of situation?
I bought a Bersa Firestorm .380 and am happy with it. Of course I don't have any kids around so I can keep it "hidden" where it's easy to get to if I need to.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Home Protection Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Taurus Judge.... .410 shotgun round or a colt 45 round...5 chambers on cylinder and you could alternate the ammo...410, 45, 410 etc..
Sorry, guys. I have a Judge, the Ultra Lite with 2.5" chambers. I don't think much of it for home defense, a good 12 gauge pump shotgun with an extended magazine tube would be much better IMO. At over 10 yards the shot from the 410 shell is almost to wide to penetrate effectively. Recoil from these guns isn't as much as you might expect, but it is a gun most women and kids wouldn't want to shoot and do any practice with. Most of the women shooters in our cowboy club shoot either side by side coach guns or Winchester 97 (and clones) shotguns, but they are always 12 gauge, rarely will you see shooters using a 20 gauge side by side. A 20 gauge would be the last shotgun I would recommend. Ammo of various kinds are readily available for a 12 gauge, and that is not the case with a 20 gauge. The 20 gauge does recoil a bit less than a 12 gauge, but a good recoil pad can fix that. The difference is not worth the disadvantage. Guns are a personal thing, we all have our likes and dislikes and I'm sure the OP will get all kinds of info, some of it good, and some of it not so good.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksinco View Post
I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to guns. I shot quite a bit as a kid....mostly shotguns. I live in Colorado now and would like to make a purchase for home protection. I'm leaning toward a shotgun, versus handgun/revolver.
I'd also like the added protection when I'm camping in the mountains, be it other humans or animals.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. It sounds like 12-guage is pretty standard. Is 16 or 20 too light?
For what it's worth, I have a 4-year old son who I'd like to teach about guns and responsibility as he grows, and a wife who is intimidated by them, so this will probably me for my use only.
Thanks.
Hands down a Shotgun is the better choice for home defense. However, it requires more training regarding handling loads, accuracy and markmanship. It is a fallacy that you just point and shoot. Each gun is different and loads vary upon dispersion by distance. You are responsible for every single projectile that comes out of it. If you're shooting slugs, your main concern is overpenetration. The length of the gun limits your mobility and it's a "Safe Room" gun. What I mean is that you are all huddled in a room with everyone and when that door busts open and it's not a cop, well, you know the rest. Bear in mind, it is not prudent to be trying to clear a house with a shotgun, either. Unless you're trained, it's best to leave that to cops and the Navy SEALS.

Handguns are more versatile however, I still don't recommend trying to clear the house. Totally unwise.

Then there's the debate between semiautos and revolvers. Semiautos required more TLC. Revolvers go bang (assuming the ammo is not a squib round). Semiautos have a faster reload capability. Revolvers shoot on contact - semiautos do not. Semiautos can have high capacity. Revolvers, like my Smith and Wesson Model 627 357 has 8 shots, but most have 5-6.

Lastly, caliber choice is a big and heated debate. Let's just say that rifles trump handguns. Shotguns are very effective if the bad guy is not wearing body armor. Rifles have a degree of overpenetration, depending upon the caliber.

My suggestion:

Rent some guns.
Get some education and training.
Read the laws in your respective jurisdiction.
Get the proper mindset.
Read Massad Ayoob's books:
In the Gravest Extreme and Stressfire (1 and 2)
Look into the LAWS BEFORE YOU CONSIDER EVEN USING THE GUN FOR SELF DEFENSE:

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.

Unfortunately, naivete doesn't get you an out of jail card, as someone in Florida is realizing, right now.

Gun ownership takes a lot of responsibility. The person, not the gun, is the main object of concern. Educate yourself and get some training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting