Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times

Advertisements

Wahl, ah might add that REAL MEN use 650 Dillon's, not them lightweight, wanna-be 550's.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Wahl, ah might add that REAL MEN use 650 Dillon's, not them lightweight, wanna-be 550's.....

It depends on how many different calibers you load for. The 550B will do 160 different calibers. Changing over is a snap and only takes minutes. 400-600 per hour vs 500-800 per hour. In a few hours, I can load up more than many people shoot in a year with either press. I'd go one up even more if I added another one, and make it a Super 1050. I'd set it up for either 9mm or 45 ACP and leave it that way. Switch over with the others on the 550B. That baby will do 1,000-1,200 per hour. That's a lot of ammo for one man to shoot, even for me. You also lose the lifetime NO BS warranty with it. It's only one year on the Super 1050, as it's considered commercial equipment. Stick with the 550B or XL650 if you like the Snap-On, Craftsman like warranty. "I dropped that powder measure and it broke". Dillon... "A new one is already in the UPS truck, like it was yesterday, free of charge."

Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
I only load for .380, .38, .357, .44 mag an' .45. Set it up, run 3-5k rounds, an' ready for the next caliber. I usually load during the winter, an' then again in midsummer. Just like the auto case feeder the 650 has....an' the fact that I picked it up used for $300 didn't hurt none.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM

23 posts, read 26,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksinco View Post
I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to guns. I shot quite a bit as a kid....mostly shotguns. I live in Colorado now and would like to make a purchase for home protection. I'm leaning toward a shotgun, versus handgun/revolver.
I'd also like the added protection when I'm camping in the mountains, be it other humans or animals.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. It sounds like 12-guage is pretty standard. Is 16 or 20 too light?
For what it's worth, I have a 4-year old son who I'd like to teach about guns and responsibility as he grows, and a wife who is intimidated by them, so this will probably me for my use only.
Thanks.
I use a short barrel 12 gauge pump gun loaded with #6 birdshot. Other considerations would be non-lethal choices, long range pepper spray, combat light, (surefire is a good one, get your wife one to carry) or a handheld laser, here is a link,
Blue Laser Pointer 1 Watt | S3 Arctic | Spyder III | Wicked Lasers, http://www.surefire.com/
The combat light is a great choice to carry on your person or in the vehicle as survival gear as well as self protection as is the laser. I think it's a good idea to back these lights up with the 12 gauge in case an intruder doesn't"see the light."

Many like the .410/.45 revolver but I have fired one and found the recoil substantial, I would rather have something somewhere near enjoyable to shoot at the range or hunting.
If a pump gun is not your cup of tea, Stoger offers a nifty little double barrel called the "coach gun". They have 18 and a quarter inch barrels(quarter inch legal) and come in several gauges. Cool little shotgun.

On another topic, where the heck is the fishing forum here????

Last edited by aloft52; 02-14-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 01:46 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Home defense. That's a hard choice. No matter what you decide, remember to

1. Become proficient with your weapon of choice.

a. A shotgun probably requires less work to be able to hit your target, but still requires practice. Learn about the differing shot types also.

b. A handgun, whew... Many differing types and styles, large small, revolver, automatic, Lots of choices. I have a 9mm and a 45, the 45 being my primary, the 9, a backup. Practice, practice, practice. Learn about the different types of loads. I have 3 clips for the 45, 1 loaded with glaser rounds only, the other, 3 round groups, a Federal Hydra shok, a Glaser silver, and a hornady critical defense. Just remember, everyone has a different opinion, but it's based on what works best for them, be willing to ask around, but don't take for gospel any single answer. What works for me, may not work for the person trained to double tap, and not 3 round group. Find out what works for you.

2. NEVER EVER go for your gun, unless you intend to shoot someone. My 6906 was given to me by an retired Secret Service agent, who said, "I would not have given you this, unless I was sure that if you pull it, someone was going to be shot". If you plan on using a gun as a threat, then don't get a gun.

3. Don't buy a weapon based on looks. Don't be afraid to ask about test firing your choices. You need to feel comfortable with the weapon, the way it fits in your hand, and how it feels, and how it fires. You want it to protect your family and/or your home, and if you are not comfortable in all ways with the weapon, you will never be able to do your best with it.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
Unless you are a qualified expert, or police-trained in handling small arms, it is a mistake to think you will be safe in you home with a loaded pistol. (You are more likely to shoot yourself than ward-off anyone intent on doing you harm.) If you must have a gun, then get a 12 gauge, double-barrel shotgun, load it with medium bird-shot (so you won’t destroy your home as well as your would-be attacker, and keep it ready to hand. For most people, you are probably better protected with a cell phone.

Last edited by Wendell Phillips; 02-14-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 03:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Unless you are a qualified expert, or police-trained in handling small arms, it is a mistake to think you will be safe in you home with a loaded pistol. (You are more likely to shoot yourself than ward-off anyone intent on doing you harm.) If you must have a gun, then get a 12 gauge, double-barrel shotgun, load it with medium bird-shot (so you won’t destroy your home as well as your would-be attacker, and keep it ready to hand. For most people, you are probably better protected with a cell phone.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:59 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
I am not sure this is the truth. I know many people who shoot well, and could be relied upon to pop someone in the greatest body mass fairly quickly, and they are not experts, or police trained.

I will agree that a 12 gauge with medium bird shot is a good all round weapon for a novice, but it's not the end all/be all.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
That's a lie, just antigun garbage. But antigunners don't care to prove anything.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,196 times
How about a new Smith & Wesson M&P?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting