Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
If I'm going to let someone have a free reign of my home/family/possessions while I huddle in a corner in fear of my life, then I'll forgo the firearm and just have a safe room. I understand that this may be the safest for a lone person, but if you have a two-story house and bedrooms (with kids in them) on both levels, I'm CQB'ing with a handgun. Even if I didn't have kids, I will not just let them make off with possessions. If you deem that your possessions aren't worth doing this - then again - the saferoom with a sturdy door that locks from the inside is all you would need.
Police officers don't clear houses by themselves. They send in teams. There's a reason for that. Also think about missing with your handgun, which is very easy to do in a stressful situation at night, and putting a round through the wall into one of those kid's bedrooms. In my state it's unlawful to use deadly force to defend property and there's nothing that I own that's worth risking my life in a gun battle. If you take some training you'll find that there's not a class out there that will tell you to go into close quarter combat with a handgun in attempting to clear the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Police officers don't clear houses by themselves. They send in teams. There's a reason for that. Also think about missing with your handgun, which is very easy to do in a stressful situation at night, and putting a round through the wall into one of those kid's bedrooms. In my state it's unlawful to use deadly force to defend property and there's nothing that I own that's worth risking my life in a gun battle. If you take some training you'll find that there's not a class out there that will tell you to go into close quarter combat with a handgun in attempting to clear the house.
Again. You don't need a firearm then - just a saferoom. I've had plenty of firearm training (especially in the military) and I understand the risk you take when you proceed to protect your home/family and possessions. But, if you aren't willing to risk life and the holes in the wall (if it even came down to that), then you don't really need a gun for anything (other than sport). You can wait for the police to come do the burglary report. In Illinois we can defend ourselves and shoot an intruder if we fear for our safety. Now, rest assured I would not pounce upon an intruder. I would announce my presence and the fact that I have a firearm. I would also give them every opportunity to quickly exit my home (as long as they don't take anything with them). I imagine that would do the trick, but if not, then they will contend with, not only my .357, but also my son's Mossberg 500 Persuader. Can something go wrong? Yep. Something can go very wrong when driving too. Can't let "what if's" make you live a life of fear and intimidation.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Again. You don't need a firearm then - just a saferoom. I've had plenty of firearm training (especially in the military) and I understand the risk you take when you proceed to protect your home/family and possessions. But, if you aren't willing to risk life and the holes in the wall (if it even came down to that), then you don't really need a gun for anything (other than sport). You can wait for the police to come do the burglary report. In Illinois we can defend ourselves and shoot an intruder if we fear for our safety. Now, rest assured I would not pounce upon an intruder. I would announce my presence and the fact that I have a firearm. I would also give them every opportunity to quickly exit my home (as long as they don't take anything with them). I imagine that would do the trick, but if not, then they will contend with, not only my .357, but also my son's Mossberg 500 Persuader. Can something go wrong? Yep. Something can go very wrong when driving too. Can't let "what if's" make you live a life of fear and intimidation.
Quote:
Now, rest assured I would not pounce upon an intruder. I would announce my presence and the fact that I have a firearm.
Pretty much the same thing I'm talking about. I'd announce, take up a position in a secure/tactical location, and call 911. So you'd shoot someone if they had your DVD player in hand? Is a civil suit and possible criminal liability really worth it? Did they teach you that you should clear a house alone in the military? I didn't think so. I find that military guys perform extremely poor in our classes on the simulator. Funny how they don't really teach Marines that deploy to Afghanistan that the guy robbing the bank you're in almost always has an accomplice. They shoot BG #1, who poses no immediate threat to them, and BG #2 opens fire killing them as well as the innocent bystanders in the bank.....

Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Pretty much the same thing I'm talking about. I'd announce, take up a position in a secure/tactical location, and call 911. So you'd shoot someone if they had your DVD player in hand? Is a civil suit and possible criminal liability really worth it? Did they teach you that you should clear a house alone in the military? I didn't think so. I find that military guys perform extremely poor in our classes on the simulator. Funny how they don't really teach Marines that deploy to Afghanistan that the guy robbing the bank you're in almost always has an accomplice. They shoot BG #1, who poses no immediate threat to them, and BG #2 opens fire killing them as well as the innocent bystanders in the bank.....
I wouldn't seek to clear my home by myself. I wouldn't even proceed to announce my presence (and the presence of my firearm) until 911 has been called. I don't think the scenario of someone getting shot with a DVD player in hand would be very likely after I announced that 911 has been called, that I have a firearm, and they better leave empty handed. In Illinois, I would not face a civil suit or criminal liability (which I find pretty outrageous that some states would do that). Again, you have to fear for your safety is the caveat. That, in of itself, is a pretty silly stipulation as if a person who broke into your home would make anyone feel anything other than "fear for your safety". We always cleared out a home as a team (that is true). But, sometimes the situation dictates the procedure. I can't imagine an armed person/s would come into my home wanting to have a gun fight (and would probably just assume pass on a house that has a known gun owner). But, if it came down to it - I have the advantage and I would use it. I know my home and it's lay out - the intruder will not. With the lights off, they are at a major disadvantage. The second to last thing I want is to have the police at my front door and me and my kids on the inside with intruders between us (cornered animals/humans are really unpredictable). I will not acquiesce or give ground in my home to an intruder unless they had the advantage.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,681 times
PA is a state/commonwealth that allows a person to defend their home/possessions, as long as IT'S INSIDE THE HOME.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM

72 posts, read 205,382 times
I've been taught that a handgun is good to use to get to your long gun.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 AM

6 posts, read 14,476 times
I live alone. If some one breaks into my home, I will shoot them. I have no feelings for those who would harm innocent people.I was trained in the USMC to shoot to kill my enemy.You break into my home you are my enemy.I am 77 years old and I will not let anyone harm me . I am always aware of every thing that is going around me.
Watch and be safe.
jeepjockey

Old 10-19-2013, 11:31 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I live in Arizona. I can shoot anyone who breaks into my home.

Now, I am a pretty good shot. But Rambo I am not. The purpose of my gun is to protect my life and that of my wife. The DVD or the TV I can replace. So I will call 911 and stay put in my bedroom where I can cover the door and wait for the police. If the bad guy(s) come into the bedroom then I will shoot. But I am not going to go looking for them.

ps. I alarm the perimeter at night anyway so the bad guys are also dealing with the alarm going off. As the house is smart wired, I can also control the lights and the alarm from my bedroom.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:44 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
So what if the burglar sets your house on fire while you are waiting....and waiting...and waiting for the cavalry to arrive?

Or what if he gets away while you are sitting in your bedroom, then he goes to another house and rapes/kills some unfortunate female?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:12 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I agree with taking up a defensive position and calling the cops. I am not being paid to do their job. However if someone advances on me or my wife they will be shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting