Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:03 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times

Advertisements

I think it also depends on how old your face looks. If you have a face/skin that looks 70 and you dye out all your grey you will look ridiculous. As for covering up balding, if you don't have the face for a "shaved head", do something that will not be detectable and not look ridiculous; and even with "good" hair replacement do something that will look "age appropriate", i.e. someone whose face looks "60" that sports the hair color/style/hairline of someone who's 20 will only look worse than they did before.

On the other hand, if you have a very young looking face/skin for your age, but have very early gray and/or severe early balding, having your hair "fixed" in a way that looks natural could help a lot to "look your age" in the job market, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
People are used to seeing monochromatic color on women. On men it looks ridiculous.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
Why can a 50 year old woman dye her gray hair brown and no one will comment but if a man dyes his hair then people will laugh or talk about him behind his back and act like he is being silly and vain?

I think my husband looks nice with his gray hair gone and 10 years younger (it did look kind of strange the first few days being all one color). He got it done at Haircuttery and they say it is just temporary so he will be gray again in a few months.

So is it more of a stigma for a middle aged man to dye his gray hair brown than a woman?

(He dyed it because he is going to look for a new job and wanted to look younger so he would be able to fight age discrimination)
Are you for real? Those who hire your husband will never know his age otherwise??

Is it like they're gonna give him his job coz he dyed his hair now?

Does he have a resume which mentions his hair dye?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Are you British? In the US we use "coloring" as the proper spelling. We don't use the "u". Same with "favorite". We don't spell it "favourite".

Oh - and we spell it "theater" not "theatre".
Apparently your parents forgot to teach YOU manners

Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Are you for real? Those who hire your husband will never know his age otherwise??

Havent you seen the Hair Color For Men commercials? Of course they're gonna give him the job....and a piece on the side, too!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Apparently your parents forgot to teach YOU manners
Why would you say that?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I wouldnt say men age more gracefully then women. I have seen some middle aged men that look like they belong in a nursing home.

Women have the upper hand cause they live longer.
I would say that, in general, men do age more gracefully than women. They don't go through menopause, they don't normally get things like hot flashes, are less likely to get osteoporosis and broken bones, don't lose their muscle mass to fat, among other things.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I would say that, in general, men do age more gracefully than women. They don't go through menopause, they don't normally get things like hot flashes, are less likely to get osteoporosis and broken bones, don't lose their muscle mass to fat, among other things.
Women age faster because they have to deal with men..............case closed

Old 10-07-2010, 06:19 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

well...

Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM

157 posts, read 475,224 times
A man at my work, I think he's in his fifties, just did what the OP's husband did. He looked ok with almost totally white hair, then he dyed it jet black! It's just way too dark and drastic, especially since he has thin hair in the first place. I know people are talking about him because we have a gossipy workplace, and I kind of feel bad for the guy, even if he's not the nicest guy around. (One of his biggest haters is a slightly younger man who always tries to comb over his balding/thinning parts in his hair! Hilarious!). If he and the wifey think his hair looks good like that, then that's all that should matter. I'm impressed that he would do something that bold, really. Besides a lot of women look ridiculous with the various ways they dye their hair, but we're not allowed to say a word about that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care