Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:34 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Its not a "black" issue. Its a class issue. People of a lower economic bracket tend to spend more money on materialistic items in order to make feel good about themselves and also to appear as if they arent poor. Its like the girl who makes $8/hr, lives in the projects, yet spends a months pay on a Louis Vuitton bag.
Great generalization, because you like know every poor person who makes $8 an hour, lives in the project and has a Louis Vuitton Bag. I have ties to the inner city community(a couple of friends and family members) and that is simply not the case.

But the important question for the OP is why do you care what black women do with their hair? Is it hurting you that black women are choosing to spend $100 every two weeks to get their hair done? Why are black people so fascinating on City Data? I never in my life can understand why people are so fixated on what blacks are doing with THEIR money. Even if it seems wasteless to you, it's not your hair so it shouldn't be your concern. Even if they chose to spend THEIR money on endless amount of "stupid" things, you need to mind your own business and worry about YOUR situation.

And what a huge leap that you make to believe that from watching Judge Joe Brown, and listening to your wife's experiences(which seem minimal) that minimum wage black women spend that much money going to the salon to get their hair done.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 07-11-2012 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Then ones I saw weren't like what you described. Some were long braids of multiple colors, some were swirled up into a beehive type style with lots of gold coloring, and some were big hair. At work, we do have some nurses and other higher level position women who have hair like what you described and I agree it does look more professional. There are a few nurses who've gone the short natural look to save time and money and they look fine like that. What I've noticed is the styles I was asking about which also cost the most are usually done by the poorest groups. To get their hair like this requires exposing themselves to some very toxic chemicals for hours at a time.
And you know this how? So let me guess your spending time researching what SOME black women do to their hair. I mean seriously is it that important to you? Really?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Its not a "black" issue. Its a class issue. People of a lower economic bracket tend to spend more money on materialistic items in order to make feel good about themselves and also to appear as if they arent poor. Its like the girl who makes $8/hr, lives in the projects, yet spends a months pay on a Louis Vuitton bag.
LOL! Those LV bags are most likely knockoffs.

Man some of you are gullible.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,717,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
when white girls dye their hair pink, blue, green and purple they are just being artistic and expressing themselves.

black girls who do the same thing are just categorized as ghetto and lower class

i hate those double standards imposed by white people

Depends on the white person. They can also be called ugly freaks. So....

There are so many things you can do with hair white or not. Some look nicer/more professional and some do look ghetto or trashy. (whatever your preferred description is for looking daft)

Actually an incident at a private school:

White friend dyed her hair green and got sent home. Black girl dyed hers that purple that was popular in the 90s and she got away with it because everyone was too afraid to say anything as she was 1 of the three black kids in a 12 grade school. LOL
Friend brought it up to the principle and they removed the "un-natural hair color" clause from the dresscode.

I thought it was funny as a kid. And as an adult...even funnier.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM

114 posts, read 245,050 times
Look what the OP started. SMH

He needs a good old cup of "mind your business" tea.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,738,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
when white girls dye their hair pink, blue, green and purple they are just being artistic and expressing themselves.

black girls who do the same thing are just categorized as ghetto and lower class

i hate those double standards imposed by white people

you are 100% dead on with that hair comment. 9 times out of 10 this is exactly how it is perceived.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
This is a huge issue, and one that few white folks understand. Treatments to have black hair fixed, straightened, can be very costly. And the products used to maintain that look...but, it is their hair...and their money.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is a huge issue, and one that few white folks understand. Treatments to have black hair fixed, straightened, can be very costly. And the products used to maintain that look...but, it is their hair...and their money.
No, in general it is NOT costly. I am really offended how other people (nonblacks) keep reiterating how expensive it is to upkeep black hair when they themselves know VERY little about it. Especially after a few black posters chimed in and said that it isn't expensive nor troublesome to do our own hair.

If you are high maintenance and want to spend hundreds of dollars on hair coloring and extensions than yeah...it's going to be very expensive. Those black women may spend a lot of money on their hair. The expenses are the same for white women who spend $500 just for a dye job and to get their ends trimmed ::rolls eyes:

However there are just as many black women who simply relax their hair and do nothing else to it but wear it in a ponytail or flat iron it. It is not expensive nor is it hard to upkeep. Just wash, condition, and make sure your hair gets protein and that's it. I care for my hair every week just like any other race of woman. I am not spending hundreds of dollars every month on my hair either. Nor am I spending hours styling it. I know it probably makes other groups feel superior to think that black women are miserable and burning holes in their pocket because of their hair but no, it is not the case for every black woman. sorry to disappoint you

Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
OP, about the toxic chemicals, why arent you whining about white women and the brazilian blowout, which is much more expensive than the braids, and usually involves formaldehyde?
Brazilian hair straightening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Probably because I never heard of this.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
"These are women who barely make over minimum wage and work part time schedules."

So all black women who are getting their hair done are barely making minimum wage and working part time schedules then? OR would that just apply to the women that your wife knows?

I regularly get my hair braided at those same costs about $100 and it's every maybe 2 or 3 months, not weeks.

Does your wife make mention of the non black women who spend tons of money on getting their hair dyed, cut, etc. at these top of the line salons? I live in the NJ/NYC area and they will scrape together every penny to go to these highly rated places. Since the economy is so hard, you and your wife should probably spend more time worried about your own finances.
Most of the women my wife knows are former co-workers at Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care