Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times

Advertisements

I have been making a huge mistake! I've been using dandruff shampoo( Head and Shoulders) by itself for several months now! During this time period i been washing my hair every single day or every other day(which i shouldnt and will not). I just realized dandruff shampoo is more agressive than regular shampoo and can dry out hair. My hair gets very greasy the day after i skip washing it.

I have also noticed thinning and hairloss ever since dandruff started to appear and when i started using of the dandruff shampoo.

This is all starting to make sense now. I thought it was a case of Male Pattern Baldness, but i have always had good strong hair in my adolesense. My brother does have a receding hairline, but he has always had a high forehead. My dad and my paternal grandfather have perfect hair. All my paternal cousins and uncles have perfect hair. My maternal grandfather was the one that did become semi bald. Only two out of my eleven older cousins have a receding hairline.

I do suspect this is the problem. There is no way my hair loss has been this agressive because of MPB. Not even my brother has lost this amount of hair in a short period of time.

It does not bother me, this is the first online post i have written. I just thought about this lol.

Please Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
How much hair are you losing?? See a dermatologist so he can examine the scalp and determine if there's an unusual condition causing the dandruff, and talk to him about the hair loss. It could be MPD, you never know. It can start as early as 18.

Do you have any other health symptoms? Unusual tiredness? Headaches? Constipation? I'm wondering if there would be any reason to request a thyroid test. Probably not. Just a thought.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How much hair are you losing?? See a dermatologist so he can examine the scalp and determine if there's an unusual condition causing the dandruff, and talk to him about the hair loss. It could be MPD, you never know. It can start as early as 18.

Do you have any other health symptoms? Unusual tiredness? Headaches? Constipation? I'm wondering if there would be any reason to request a thyroid test. Probably not. Just a thought.

Mainly the upper corners of my hairline, i think they're called the Parietal Ridge? The upper corners of the hairline, front and top of my head is where i mainly applied the dandruff shampoo because that's where dandruff appeared.

No not even close.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:54 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
This is all starting to make sense now. I thought it was a case of Male Pattern Baldness, but i have always had good strong hair in my adolesense. My brother does have a receding hairline, but he has always had a high forehead. My dad and my paternal grandfather have perfect hair. All my paternal cousins and uncles have perfect hair. My maternal grandfather was the one that did become semi bald. Only two out of my eleven older cousins have a receding hairline.

Please Help
MPD passes through the maternal line. You need to look at your mother's male relations to see the likelihood of MPD for you.

As for the rest, it sounds like you're already on track using gentler shampoos,etc. It might be worth checking out Rogaine to slow hair loss if you do have MPD.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,089 times
For some reason, I have always suspected that male hair care products cause baldness.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I have been making a huge mistake! I've been using dandruff shampoo( Head and Shoulders) by itself for several months now! During this time period i been washing my hair every single day or every other day(which i shouldnt and will not). I just realized dandruff shampoo is more agressive than regular shampoo and can dry out hair. My hair gets very greasy the day after i skip washing it.

I have also noticed thinning and hairloss ever since dandruff started to appear and when i started using of the dandruff shampoo.

I do suspect this is the problem. There is no way my hair loss has been this agressive because of MPB. Not even my brother has lost this amount of hair in a short period of time.

It does not bother me, this is the first online post i have written. I just thought about this lol.

Please Help
Look, if your hair start getting greasy after a day you skip washing it ( I assume it was not always like that, before you started using Head and Shoulder, right?) then there is something more than MPB that you suspect might be going on for you. I tell you what - try to switch shampoo, try to go with something safe like what's the name... Baby Johnson shampoo, start washing your hair not more often than once in three days and see how it goes. Skip the conditioners by the way - they too can do a trick on you, unless you find the perfect one for your hair type.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:54 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
There can be any number of factors at the root of your dandruff & hair loss issues.

When was the last time you had a physical? Like somebody already mentioned, the hair loss could be thyroid/hormone related. How are your stress levels? Are you taking medication that is known to cause increased hair shedding (e.g. antidepressants)? Do you lead a reasonably healthy lifestyle (get enough sleep, get enough quality calories, don't drink regularly)? Personally, I'm female, but I was losing scary handfuls of hair in the shower last year when I had a lot of family/money related stress, was sleeping 2 hours a night or not at all, and wasn't eating anything. It's almost back to normal now that I'm taking better care of myself.

The dandruff part...it could be anything from plain old, run of the mill dandruff, for which you might simply need to switch to a different formulation of dandruff shampoo*, you might have psoriasis, you might have developed an allergy/sensitivity to SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate) and need to switch to a more natural, chemical-free shampoo. It could even be the change in seasons (I get dry flaky scalp when it starts to get really cold, or oily flaky scalp when it starts to get really warm out).

*There are different categories of dandruff shampoo with different mechanisms of action:

• zinc pyrithione--an antibacterial and antifungal; (for example, what you are using now, HEAD & SHOULDERS)
  • salycylic acid--a keratolytic agent that exfoliates the scalp; (for example, DENOREX)
  • selenium sulfide--a different kind of antifungal and anti-infective (for example, SELSUN BLUE)
  • ketoconazole--an antifungal & antiandrogenic (for example, NIZORAL)
  • coal tar--a different type of keratolytic/exfoliating agent (for example, Neutrogena T/Gel)
  • tea tree oil--an essential oil that has antifungal and antibacterial properties (for example, everyone from PAUL MITCHELL to TRADER JOE'S makes a tea tree shampoo)
(Note: The brands I listed above sometimes offer a couple of different formulas, so read the labels to see what the active ingredient is.)

Again, though, you might benefit simply by switching to an all natural, chemical free shampoo. FYI, I have read that ketaconazole shampoo (NIZORAL), in particular, is good for men that are worried about MPB.

There is also a brand of shampoo called NIOXIN which is not a dandruff shampoo, but it claims to reduce hair loss by washing DHT (dihydrotestosterone) off the scalp. (Personally, I thought this stuff was over priced and all hype, but I'm putting it here to include all info.)

Worse comes to worst--you inherited MPB from your maternal grandfather. There are worse things. Like FEMALE pattern baldness. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with bald guys, or guys with receding hairlines. This guy is sexier than a whole slew of guys in Hollywood with thick heads of hair:

Old 11-29-2013, 03:03 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
.......Worse comes to worst--you inherited MPB from your maternal grandfather. There are worse things. Like FEMALE pattern baldness. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with bald guys, or guys with receding hairlines. This guy is sexier than a whole slew of guys in Hollywood with thick heads of hair:
Personally, the guy in the picture is VERY attractive!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:06 AM

466 posts, read 581,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Personally, the guy in the picture is VERY attractive!
I agree with you. My husband has a bald patch in the middle but because he is so tall and he keeps his hair in a very similar style as this actor I think he looks great!

We use Pro Naturals, a hair repair system for 1 week and Optima Tea Tree shampoo & conditioner for 5 weeks. Works great for us, no dandruff and hair is soft (what there is of it).

Last edited by Lin1313; 12-17-2015 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: forgot to tell you what we use!

Old 01-27-2016, 09:16 AM

466 posts, read 581,232 times
I have been drinking artemisia annua tea (home grown) because I had breast cancer and it is what I take my Artemisinin tablet with twice a day. My husband has also been drinking the tea mainly for his aches and pains but I have noticed that his bald patch is now half the size it used to be, will keep you updated. He started drinking it a year ago, give or take a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care