Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times

Advertisements

and did this happen to you?

A year ago, I decided to bite the bullet and dye my hair red (I'm a natural light blonde). I thought it looked really cool, here's a pix:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...oyz4me/red.jpg

Anyway, within 2 weeks it practically ALL washed out. So, back to the hairstylist I go. This time she used permanant color (she used semi the first time). Again, maybe *3* weeks later it really washed out. The root area was still red, but the ends were blonde. While it didn't look *that* bad (it wasn't as bad as my description would lead you to believe), I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to keep the color. My stylist said my hair was extremely porous, and red was a very hard color to maintain (something about a chemical in red dye that was cancerous, and was the same chemical that made it "stick" to your hair). As she said, "when it sticks, it really sticks, and when it doesn't, there isn't much you can do".

So, slowly over the past 12 months I've been getting back to my natural color, but it's funny, I have these completely STUBBORN red streaks that won't go away! LOL It's like some strands really clung to the color and others wanted no part of it.

So, any sympathy?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
you've got it! I colored my hair red for about a year, had to re-do it every three weeks to keep the color, i gave up after a year.....

Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
you've got it! I colored my hair red for about a year, had to re-do it every three weeks to keep the color, i gave up after a year.....
Yep - labor intensive, but I have had it for years . . . my hair is naturally somewhat red . . . but I have it very very red . . . sometimes add blonde streaks and it is very high maintenance. Touch up every 3.5 or so weeks for color . . . going 4 weeks is stretching it and at 5 weeks, the color is horrible and roots are showing badly.

If you want to straighten out your color, a good colorist should be able to get it all back to your natural shade . . .Good luck!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Red hair fades faster than any shade, and is hard to keep looking fresh. But I think your hair in the picture looks great, looks like you have great hair.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:48 PM

775 posts, read 579,313 times
Actually, red is in everyone's hair naturally. My natural hair color is brown. My problem, and my hair stylist tells me this is typical, is that even though I color my hair dark brown, red always appears four-five weeks later. Completely unavoidable. There is nothing I can do until I color it again. It's there.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I had a similar problem when I first dyed my hair red. I use a strong color now. From what I am told, red is the hardest color to dye. You can make it work if you really want it.

I use Ferrier now and it works REALLY well although it looks a little intense in the beginning.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I had a similar problem when I first dyed my hair red. I use a strong color now. From what I am told, red is the hardest color to dye. You can make it work if you really want it.

I use Ferrier now and it works REALLY well although it looks a little intense in the beginning.
Lindsey, how funny - I had pictured you as a fellow red head, just from reading your posts! LOL!!!!

Ferrier is a great product.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-25-2008 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,452,289 times
In my next life, I'll have red hair.

When I first went grey, and had quite a bit in my hair -- almost overnight it seemed, due to surgery -- I thought I wanted to color it. My sweet husband said, "Well, you have always wanted red hair. Why don't you go for it?"

So, I picked up a good, quality hair color in a shade of red (auburn) I thought I could wear. OMG, but where it went over the dark, it was lovely, but on the grey, it turned a shade of bright pink. I drove over to my sister's, a hairdresser, in a hat and in tears, hoping for a quick-fix -- strong mixed drink and a hairdresser's remedy.

My brother-in-law says, "You can wear that color." WHICH one? But I knew I was an absolute goner when my nephew walks in, eyes me, and says, "Hey, cool, Aunt B!"

Old 02-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
In my next life, I'll have red hair.

When I first went grey, and had quite a bit in my hair -- almost overnight it seemed, due to surgery -- I thought I wanted to color it. My sweet husband said, "Well, you have always wanted red hair. Why don't you go for it?"

So, I picked up a good, quality hair color in a shade of red (auburn) I thought I could wear. OMG, but where it went over the dark, it was lovely, but on the grey, it turned a shade of bright pink. I drove over to my sister's, a hairdresser, in a hat and in tears, hoping for a quick-fix -- strong mixed drink and a hairdresser's remedy.

My brother-in-law says, "You can wear that color." WHICH one? But I knew I was an absolute goner when my nephew walks in, eyes me, and says, "Hey, cool, Aunt B!"
Oh dear, the perils of grey hair. I started going grey at 28, I am now 40. This is another reason why its so important to use a good strong color, I highly recommend Ferrier. It shows up on the grey a littler lighter but NOT pink. I can't afford having my hair done professionally at the moment but when I can, I am looking forward to it.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Lindsey, how funny - I had pictured you as a fellow red head, just from reading your posts! LOL!!!!

Ferrier is a great product.
Thats why I choose the color year ago, I felt it matched my personality better then the natural color.

My hair got darker as I got older. It turned into a muddy dishwater color, then got streaks of grey. In the beginning I just put blond streaks in it but as the grey spread like a disease I finally decided to bite the bullet. I have LOVED having red hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care