Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

210 posts, read 416,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonRDUfan View Post
Hampton Roads is a ghetto wasteland, people who think DT Norfolk is up and coming..think again...the one grocery store even went out of business and it is surrounded by housing projects and there's ABSOLUTELY nothing to do. It was so depressing living in Norfolk which is why i moved to Raleigh and couldn't be happier, I don't even want to go back to VB to visit family because it absolutely sucks in HR, just sayin
You put down HR but you live in boring Raleigh. That's hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM

56 posts, read 103,816 times
I don't know about most of HR but Portsmouth stinks. There's nothing to do, nothing to see, potholes aplenty and housing is awful.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 PM

22 posts, read 91,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
I don't know about most of HR but Portsmouth stinks. There's nothing to do, nothing to see, potholes aplenty and housing is awful.
Its still the only city Ive seen in the area out in the open honest to goodness hookers, although I do hear they frequent other areas.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM

18 posts, read 44,292 times
This is embarrassing to even admit but I am from HR (VB) and I have the right to put it down..I mean it just plain sucks..there's a reason that almost EVERYONE complains about it and is trying to get out of the area. There's also a reason why this thread was started "Does anyone actually like Hampton Roads?" and i'm not going to sit here and list why Raleigh is better and more fun, there's reason why it's one of the fastest growing cities and people are flocking to it.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 PM

53 posts, read 187,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
You put down HR but you live in boring Raleigh. That's hilarious.
i agree Raleigh is boring as hell ............. the only thing better is maybe cost of living .

Old 06-25-2011, 05:51 PM

18 posts, read 44,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundy0621 View Post
i agree Raleigh is boring as hell ............. the only thing better is maybe cost of living .
Raleigh is fun, the thread is also about how lame Hampton Roads is btw..I'm not the one that brought up RDU

Old 06-26-2011, 01:43 PM

109 posts, read 157,721 times
This thread is very irrelevant. If you hate an area you move, correct? HATE is EVERYWHERE I've met people from many states and metros that absolutely hate it. What would make Hampton Roads any different? Hampton Roads is a area, it isn't a magical fairies place where all your dreams come true. Where you live is as fun as you make it. Or as boring as you make it. Hampton Roads is a big area and every city has something different to offer, but i bet half the people up here only looks for fun in the city in which they live. I've lived in Hampton Roads for 20 years and still haven't seen it all, and if i feel as though i need a change of scenery i go on VACATION. You know VACATION, that thing you do to get away for a while.....YEAH. The lack of moving forward and bickering is the very reasoning why Hampton Roads can't reach its potential. Threads like these and people who comment negatively is exactly the reason why Hampton Roads hasn't progressed. If we could get as many people to get involved in what happening in HR, and how to better it this area would be totally different. San Francisco isn't fun because of the land it sits on, nor is Seattle. Two cities not great weather, a lot of rain and cool weather, not very ideal places to live. Those two cities progress because of the people who are willing to change it from the norm. Cities and Metros don't grow like tree, people grow cities and metros. Forward thinking and the ability to be involve changes metros. Small business are the very reason for thriving night life, we are all capable of opening a small business. Bringing something new a fresh idea to the area , but we all rather complain about nothing. So why don't you become more involved in your city and stop complaining about how boring it is.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 11,551 times
to be honest, Hampton Roads is the place people go when they have lived life and are now looking to settle down. But if you are someone who is just getting your feet wet and trying to experience life then this place will do nothing but kill your spirit.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 PM

77 posts, read 165,389 times
Been here since 08 before recently moving back to raleigh.

Pros:

Water and beaches everywhere literally at least 5 small beaches and 1 large one.

Inexpensive for those who disagree go 2 hours north and talk bout expensive.

Norfolk and va beach are pretty fun contrary to popular belief especially summertime. Zoo aquarium clubs the strip etc..

Cons:

Traffic and bad driving horrible roads no.public transportation. The worst thing about the area easily is this imo.

Lack of jobs outside of government.

Lots of rundown areas.

Winter it gets really dull. Summer and winter in the 757 is night and day.

Now in order of best to worst with just 7 cities.

Norfolk easily is best

Va beach is a distant 2nd without the strip it is even more distant.

The rest pretty much are the same with hampton being the worst

Old 02-22-2014, 07:37 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopi5 View Post
I have been living here for about a year now and I gotta say, I don't really care for it too much. I am in the Navy, and I think the main reason I dont really like it here is because EVERYONE is military and I cant get away from them. The traffic here is absolutely horrendous, and some of the drivers are the slowest on the planet. I've also met several people who have grown up here that hate this place. I dont want to completely bash Hampton Roads because there is a lot of things to do here, I just want to know how everyone else feels. Oh the court system sucks as well.
The traffic doesn't bother me. I have my days when I love it, and hate it, sometimes on the same day and sometimes at the same time. It has its moments, has untapped potential, but is large enough that I do not waste a lot of time thinking about what I do not like about it.

People that grew up here, that know nothing else, might actually hate it more, because they think that the grass is greener on the other side. That is how I felt about Ohio growing up. But now I realize it wasn't all bad. HR really isn't that much different from other cities. The urban nature of it is rather new across much of the area, so it gets a bad rep for being suburban, but outside of that it is no different than any other metro area. Could use more skyscrapers IMHO but it takes enormous amounts of money to get those types of projects done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area