Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 22,655 times

Advertisements

I'm doing research on school districts in the Va Beach Chesapeake area. My kids are not quite school age yet and I'd like to know which city has the better school system - and What schools are the best in both cities - -Any candid information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 22,750 times
Default For Chesapeake

Hello. We just recently moved to Chesapeake and we were hunting down the best schools in the area. From all the research and information we got, Hickory, Great Bridge and then the new Grassfield schools are the best in the town. The highschools in both Hickory and GreatBridge have had issues with being too full, but the new Grassfield Highschool is about to open and that will be resolving that some. A lot of people are excited about the Grassfield area and believe that it will quickly rival Hickory and Great Bridge. This is just what I have seen and heard. By the way, the elementary school in Grassfield is pretty much new and Great Bridge also has a newer school on Cedar Rd(both in the last few years). I have heard both schools have a lot of parent involvement which makes for a more positive school environment usually.
Sorry. I don't now anything much about Virginia Beach. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Alirea; 07-19-2007 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 22,655 times
Thanks for the info! Yes, that does help.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 PM

16 posts, read 86,755 times
Default I don't like any of them

Personally, I don't like any of the public schools down here. That's why I pulled my kids out and home-schooled them. If you think that was easy - think again! Thank goodness none of mine are school aged anymore, so I don't have to worry about that ever again.

They have this test called the SOL (Standard of Learning (http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/Assessment/home.shtml - broken link)) that the children have to take in certain grades - fifth, eighth and twelfth I believe. During the year that the child is in the grade they're taking this "SOL" test, that is all they are learning - how to pass this test - and very little else. I think it's appalling.

However, when given a choice, I found that Virginia Beach schools were better than Chesapeake schools. Since it's been awhile since my children have attended grade school, I can't recommend any to you, and since your children will not be in the higher grades for some time, any middle or high school I recommend will have changed by the time they reach those grades.

Personally, I'd check out private schooling (if you can afford it) or co-op with someone to home school. But, that's my opinion, and I'm sure others will differ.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 PM

76 posts, read 408,295 times
I come from the other side. I believe Va Beach schools are better.

Virginia Beach has several academies where they specialize in certain fields.

ie) legal academy, technology etc. So when you graduate you have college credits and field experience.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:08 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,168 times
Default virginia beach schools

Virginia Beach Public Schools are fine as long as you don't have a child with any kind of disability. Disabled children are usually put on the back burner there.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 10,719 times
Did you find anything out? I am moving to VA and would like any info you can reply to [email]joydar9@aol.com[/email]

Old 07-24-2008, 01:39 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Lindo View Post
Virginia Beach Public Schools are fine as long as you don't have a child with any kind of disability. Disabled children are usually put on the back burner there.
Are we talking about a physical disability (like a walking problem) or a mental disability (like Down Syndrome)? I ask this because I know for a fact that parents of mentally handicapped kids can request their child be in Princess Anne High School's "West Wing" - which is an excellent program filled with teachers and nurses who are specifically trained to deal with the children.

Not to mention, regular students assist there everyday - some of them planning on going into that field! I, myself, helped teach a few lessons about drawing over there.

As far as Chesapeake vs. Virginia Beach, both have excellent schools with excellent opportunities. Both cities have IB schools, both have specialty schools, both cities are very similar in terms of what is offered. So, just pick which city you like the most and go with the flow!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:46 PM

162 posts, read 801,503 times
I cannot say anything about Chesapeake schools b/c I do not live there, but I am very happy so far with the VA Beach School system. We've lived in VB for 3 years now. For an area this huge, they do a terrific job, IMO. Yes, it's a bureaucracy with its own share of red tape, but they do a good job listening to parents' concerns and trying to resolve them.

The best thing about the schools here are the tons of choices you have to educate your child in the VB system. I am a huge proponent of school choice so this made me very happy. There seems to be something for everyone in the public school system. We ourselves pulled our son out of a traditional schedule elementary school (Ocean Lakes) and put him into the year-round school nearby (Corporate Landing) b/c we felt it was what was best for him. It turned out that we were right and the change was exactly what he needed (for various reasons)and we simply love that school.

VB Schools give you many options for educating your child. And outside of public schooling, I am not sure what the homeschool laws are like here, but I do have a friend who homeschools and have not heard her complain about red-tape. (each state is different on what they require of HS-ers) I also know there are a fair share of secular and non-secular private schools as well.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:58 PM
tbt

1 posts, read 10,401 times
I have worked for both systems - VB is better - by far. Chesapeake is run by good old boy superintendent, who needs to be replaced. They do everything the OLD way and refuse to consider new ideas. If I had it all to do over again, I and others would NOT place our kids in Chesapeake Schools - they are lagging behind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area