Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,944 times

Advertisements

I also remember going to military circle as a kid. I remember they had the movie theater in the mall (before they made the new one). I remember a lot of othe visual things that I can't really put down that would make sense but just a lot of memories. The mall used to be really nice before the crime got worse there.

Janaf shopping center used to have the movie theater too I'd go to with my mom as a kid all the time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
The Peppermint Beach Club at the Oceanfront. I was in HS when I hung out there. Haha!

Also, The Boat House. I think that was mentioned before. Loved that venue.

The Duck-Inn, of course... That was a staple in the area for so long.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 PM

26 posts, read 68,639 times
HAH! Yeah the Abyss. I remember that place. I remember P-Eyes in DT Norfolk before it changed so many names.
I miss the Duck-Inn I was so sad they tore it down!
I remember from a child there was an actual drive in movie theater. My Parents took me a couple of times. I remember sitting in the back laying down watching Star Wars. Where was that??

Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,535 times
I remember:

-HQ Hardware Stores with the commercial where the "H" was the husband and the "Q" was the wife singing "We're HQ and we save ya dough, when there's fixin up ta do!"

-Big, massive neon rainbows in front of Giant Open Air Supermarkets

-Checking out the toy selection at Best right before Christmas and K&K Toy Castle

-Dutch Maid Donuts

-"Putt putt, putt, for the fun of it, Putt putt, putt, for the fun of it, Putt putt for the fun of it, Putt putt for the fun...FOR THE FUN OF IT!"

-Tracks Record Stores (especially the big one in Wards Corner)

-When there was absolutely no development whatsoever south of Chimney Hill Shopping Center

-When Harborfest was actually at the waterfront among old, rundown werehouses and there was no Waterside

-Tower Mall

-The incinerator in Portsmouth along I-264 that openly bellowed smoke from burning trash into the air

-Super Farm Fresh that sold clothes and hardware in the middle of the store

-Golden Skillet Fried Chicken and Shakey's Pizza

-Darryl's, Carlos Murphy's, and Chi-Chi's

-FX Electronics and Price Club

-Tidewater Fish House

-The Famous Department Store in downtown Portsmouth and the stand alone Sears just outside of downtown

-Rices Nachmanns, Miller & Rhoads, and Smith & Welton

-Newmarket North Mall and the Newmarket South Shopping Center across the street (the peninsula's version of JANAF shopping center)

-the smell of roasted peanuts from the Skippy Peanut Factory

-Club Lake Ahoy

-Coleman's Nursery and Plaza Theatres in Churchland

-Big Star Markets (grocery stores)

-Atlantic Beach Club (ABC), LeDen and LeDen II, Ebony Showcase, and the topless bar on Virginia Beach Blvd. after it splits from Laskin Rd. but before it becomes 17th Street (the name escapes me)

-Learning the dynamics of the access road along Virginia Beach Boulevard and Mercury Boulevard as a new driver

-Zayre's and Robert Hall Village

Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM

26 posts, read 67,696 times
Default Darryl's...

Was it located near the fork of Military HWY / E Little Creek RD? I went there on a very special date the night before my second deployment.

I also remember Carlos Murphy's and Chi-Chi's. My buddy and I had our drinks taken away at Chi-Chi's when the F&B manager discovered we weren't 21.

LOL!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 PM

4 posts, read 23,680 times
I remember when Rt.44 around Parks avenue didn't exist. I remember when the parking lot at Star of The Sea Catholic Church was part of a lake. (I think it was Lake Holly)

Old 07-21-2012, 05:19 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Many of these I remember, and lots are before my time. One thing I remember is when Red Mill/Strawbridge felt like the friggin' boonies. My dad moved to Red Mill back in the late 80s, and there was nothing there. Now Red Mill Commons has taken over the area.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 AM

7 posts, read 23,446 times
^^^Yes! The only thing down there was that 7-11 on Princess Anne and General Booth. It felt soooo far away and isolated back then. Va Beach has definitely changed! I also remember having my 4th birthday party at The Discovery Zone (a real cool place to be a kid!) and another birthday party at Funscape in Greenbrier. Anybody know why these places closed? They were so fun! Kids don't have anything like that anymore.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up2dwn View Post
I also remember having my 4th birthday party at The Discovery Zone (a real cool place to be a kid!) and another birthday party at Funscape in Greenbrier. Anybody know why these places closed? They were so fun! Kids don't have anything like that anymore.
I have good memories from both of those places. You're right, kids don't have things like that anymore. It's sad, man. I hate to sound like an old fogey, but I think it's gotta be the video games and internet. I have a nephew who I swear is literally addicted to his Xbox and iPhone. "Going outside" is just something he does to get to the bus stop.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
I remember going to the Bait Shack before Waterside seemed disjointed from the rest of downtown Norfolk with cheesy meat-market bars. It just became an odd place to hang out....obscure businesses all lumped together and a food court in the middle of it all.

Being on the water, adjacent access to the interstate and a parking garage connected, it seems like a prime location for flurishing businesses. It just didn't make sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area