Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 AM
DBF DBF started this thread

78 posts, read 186,414 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband is considering a job in the Portsmouth area and I would love to get a little feedback. We currently live in the Charlotte area and like it here but unfortunately the job he relocated for was eliminated due to a merger...ugh. I can work from home so no location issues for me. We currently have a 5 BR/5BA home with a walkout finished basement, 3 car garage, nice wooded lot, wood floors, great kitchen, tons of storage, etc. and would be looking for something similar that is newer (our house is 2 years old) Our boys are out of school so that is not as great of a concern. We love to boat so being near the water would be good too. Any inputs with pros and cons of areas or recommendations would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
You don't mention price. Price is key.

I wouldn't move to Portsmouth. Lived there before and I loathe the city. Probably the most miserable city in HR.

Your best bet is to look at the Riverfront in Suffolk. (Not Harbor View as a whole, the first neighborhood they built in there is nothing but vinyl boxes, but the Riverfront at Harbor View)

Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
For a newer house that big near the water, Virginia Beach would be the first place I'd look. However, although I'm not familiar with Charlotte, I have a feeling it will be more expensive in VB. Chesapeake and Suffolk have a lot of new construction going on, but water access is not as good. Have you searched trulia? You should be able to search all three cities at the same time and narrow it down to only houses with 5BD/5BA, etc.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
For a newer house that big near the water, Virginia Beach would be the first place I'd look. However, although I'm not familiar with Charlotte, I have a feeling it will be more expensive in VB. Chesapeake and Suffolk have a lot of new construction going on, but water access is not as good. Have you searched trulia? You should be able to search all three cities at the same time and narrow it down to only houses with 5BD/5BA, etc.
See, I have to disagree with that. There's plenty of waterfront property in North Suffolk and most of it is far superior to VA Beach, IMO.

One of the best things about North Suffolk, especially Harbor View, is the location.

You're right at the MMBT which gives you quick and easy access to Hampton, NN, and Williamsburg (and it's never usually backed up like the HRBT is)

I-164 gives you quick access to Portsmouth (and Norfolk via the Midtown Tunnel) and it also is right at Harbor View

664 gets you down to Chesapeake Square or to 64 to take the High Rise over to Greenbrier (and 664 is also at Harbor View)

The only place that's a royal pain to get to is VA Beach

Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
See, I have to disagree with that. There's plenty of waterfront property in North Suffolk and most of it is far superior to VA Beach, IMO.
I'll take your word for it! I'll be the first to admit I'm not much of an expert on Suffolk. I'll have to check out this Harbor View place you're talking about.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM

Just go where 164 ends and 664 passes through/where the MMBT Suffolk entrance is. From there you can get any place! LOL!

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...ed=0CAMQkwMwAw

Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 PM

You are right Coconut 1....i did forget price. In Charlotte (across the state line in SC actually) we paid around $500,000. Would be willing to go up a bit from that and could cut down on some square feet but must have at least a 3 car garage and be newer or newly remodeled. How about shopping in those areas? Love CostCo, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, TArget, Walmart, etc. also would you say people are generally friendly there?

Thanks and Happy 4th of July!

Last edited by DBF; 07-04-2012 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Hmm, well, around $500K for a 5/5 and 3 car in the Riverfront will be hard, if not impossible. Actually many places you're going to have a hard time finding the 3 car garage.

There's a Sam's Club and BJ's at Chesapeake Square, as is a Target (just down 664 if you're at the Riverfront) Trader Joe's is in Newport News which is the opposite way on 664 and right by it is a Costco and Fresh Market.

Wal-Mart is right at the Riverfront, maybe a mile if you're far back in the neighborhood. There's also a movie theater, two grocery stores (Harris Teeter and Food Lion) restaurants, Dick's Sporting Goods, Kohls, Office Max, GNC, Radio Shack, Panera, and some other stores right in there.

The only Whole Foods will be in VA Beach, I'm not sure if they're even done building it yet- I don't think they are. It's the only one in the region.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 6,033 times
Don't move to Portsmouth....there are a few good neighborhoods left, but they are few and far between! Check out the Virginia Beach or Chesapeake area :-)

Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM

Thanks for info all!

I did see a few in Riverfront....seems like Suffolk and Chesapeake the most compatible...but no houses have wowed me yet. You are right...very few 3 car garage homes. We had a 4 car in TX and felt like we downsized already. Like to have a second fridge and other stuff in the garage plus we have 2 SUVs so hard and lots of sports equip. Anyone know something about Sleepy Point Estates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area