Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:05 AM

142 posts, read 478,503 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am particular interested in Williamsburg, but I wanted to post the same question about the Hampton Roads areas in general - in case someone could direct us to an area that would fit.

I have visited the area (Williamsburg) several times on trips and think it is beautiful.

I like the climate - not so cold as NY in the winter, minimal snow. Not so hot and humid as say Florida in the summer. Not as many critters as Florida. (Family located in both of those states) Also like that from VA Hampton Roads area to visit family should only be a one day drive.

I also liked what I a read on these forums about Williamsburg, that is basically a quiet area, not much night life and low crime.

Aside from a nice dinner out we are not really night people.

Instead, we prefer outdoors activities, hiking, fishing at lakes, dog sports, etc.,
My husband will be opening his own business, so work and traffic is not an issue.

What I was wondering:

What are the safest areas in Hampton Roads and surrounding areas?

We are looking for an area that is diverse and friendly. I am not trying to offend in how I ask this. For example, where I live right now - the house across from us is filled with illegal immigrants from Mexico - who are very nice. The home next to us is bi-racial. The home caddy corner to us is a white family. We are very happy with our current area and everyone gets along well. I don't want to live in an area that is too much of any one race and not welcoming to others.

Which are the good school districts?

Are there areas where you can find a small starter or vacation home under 200,000? We are not fussy on size, but don't want a home that is falling into the ground either. We will not consider a condo due to two large dogs and a few cats.

Do most of the areas allow fencing on the properties?

Which areas are dog friendly with parks and stuff to take the dogs?

Thank you for any help / direction you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:13 PM

290 posts, read 1,154,803 times
Dont know about "diversity" in Williamsburg, there's not much of that. But everything else you stated basically points to Williamsburg, I think you should go with that.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 AM

Thank you for your reply. From my post directly about Williamsburg it seems finding a home under 200 might be difficult. Are there other affordable areas in the Hampton Roads area?

Also, even if Williamsburg is not as diverse - are the people generally welcoming if you move into an area where you would be considered the outsider or would that be a bad idea?

Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM

290 posts, read 1,154,803 times
No Williamsburg is a generally welcoming area, there are more affordable places in HR, but they are much different then Williamsburg or too far from Williamsburg..I know of some houses in Newport News that are cheaper than 200k but im not sure you want to live there? It is the closest city to williamsburg though..

Old 03-25-2009, 04:00 PM

520 posts, read 1,619,450 times
It's quite a hike from Williamsburg to the population / job centers (Norfolk/Virginia Beach). I don't think it's the most diverse area in the region, my perception of it is that those are the people that would prefer not to have immigrants or poor people around. It's a tourist area.

All of Hampton Roads is overpriced, but that will change. Still lots of foreclosures to go (from Alt-A and prime loan resets), and without lax lending standards the jobs here don't pay enough to justify the huge amount of housing that is $400K to $2 million.

Williamsburg is cool if you're rich enough to not have to work.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 10,925 times
If you have kids and are thinking about buying you will pay a PREMIUM to be in the decent school districts. My wife and I just moved here in November and were shocked at the prices. The problem is that there really isn't any middle ground in the area for schools. there are really really good schools all in York County or up Willaimsburg. Then there are the "ghettos" of Newport News, Portsmouth and Hampton which have horrible schools. You might be able to get a run down townhome in the bad areas for less than 200K but you can't even touch a condo in the better school districts. Rentals are very plentiful though because people got in over their heads, can't sell and have to rent the homes out.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM

520 posts, read 1,619,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno1991 View Post
If you have kids and are thinking about buying you will pay a PREMIUM to be in the decent school districts. My wife and I just moved here in November and were shocked at the prices. The problem is that there really isn't any middle ground in the area for schools. there are really really good schools all in York County or up Willaimsburg. Then there are the "ghettos" of Newport News, Portsmouth and Hampton which have horrible schools. You might be able to get a run down townhome in the bad areas for less than 200K but you can't even touch a condo in the better school districts. Rentals are very plentiful though because people got in over their heads, can't sell and have to rent the homes out.
Right but many of the same people can't afford to rent their tyvek wrapped pressboard boxes for a price that enables them to cover the mortgage. So beware of renting a house from someone who bought during the mania, that will still default.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM

thanks for all of the replies.

I am also going to look into the Roanoke area. It might be a more affordable option compared to what I am reading about Hampton Roads.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:02 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
NEEDSMORESPACE2 wrote:
Not so hot and humid as say Florida in the summer.
Based on my 16 years of living in Virginia Beach, I'd say that is not true. It's every bit as hot ( with sometimes higher temperatures ) and humid as FLorida, but the hot season is not as long as it is in Florida. The only differnece is the length of the hot season.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM

I did not realize that. Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area