Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 AM

13 posts, read 27,553 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My wife and I have been here for a couple years and have decided that we do not intend to remain here, buy a house, settle down, etc. In a nutshell, it's just not a good fit between us, and Hampton Roads. I could list reasons but I don't think it would be beneficial; sure we'd feel better for a few minutes but that's about it; i.e. it would not get us out of here.

But what I think would help is a constructive discussion on relocation efforts. Are you focusing on relocating? Do you have a plan of action in place? Are you preparing for a move (throwing out junk, house hunting, job hunting, etc.)? If you are relocating or planning to do so, do you have any tips to simplify the process?

Many thanks in advance,

coffeemaker (2 e's, not 1 )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,852 times
I'm planning to relocate too. I'm leaving to go to San Francisco for school this January. I was supposed to leave a few months ago, but got held back for various reasons. Right now, my plan is saving money. Save, save, save. I've been looking on craigslist to see what the apartment prices are like, which helps me to determine where in the city I'll end up. I'm also looking on craigslist for job listings to see what kind of jobs are available. There seems to be a lot charity organizations looking for help out there, which would be pretty sweet to work for. I don't know if I really have any tips since this is my first move out of Hampton Roads, but researching SF as much as possible has helped tremendously. I know what areas to avoid and which to visit, what type of people live in each neighborhood, how long my commute to school would be if I lived in a given part of the city, what buses and trains to take to get to school, how much the average rent is, the crime stats, the demographics, the main roads, the neighborhood borders, the climate, and so on. Most of which I knew before I ever stepped foot in California. My advice is if you know where you plan on going, research the crap out of it. I mean really get to know the city as much as possible. I've practically memorized a map of San Francisco, so it would be really hard for me to get lost there. In fact, I actually was able to tell a cabbie my preferred route to get from one side of the city to the other my first trip there. Which reminds me, try to visit the place as much as possible before moving (seems obvious, I know) because, even though research can get you pretty far, real-life experience is always a better way to learn. I've already been to SF twice this year (both times for a week) and I'm planning on going once more before I move.

So, where do you think you're headed?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:21 PM

13 posts, read 27,553 times
Hi xGrendelx. Best of luck with college in San Fran. Study and stay focused!

Let's see... where are we going? We have a considerable amount of thinking to do (and research of course). We're not getting any younger so we can't pick up and go where the wind blows anymore. We'd prefer to go to DFW (YeeHah!) and stay there for awhile; been there before, it was fun. But our journey may not yet be complete. Heck, maybe Colorado. We have to narrow down our list and document it.

But that's the easy part. The hard part is the job-search-and-acquisition process. Esp. in this global economy. But that's for another thread I suppose. Even the networking approach to job searching can be a challenge.

Thanks!

coffeemaker

Old 08-11-2009, 03:42 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffemaker View Post
Hi xGrendelx. Best of luck with college in San Fran. Study and stay focused!
Haha, thanks. I'll try.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 PM

148 posts, read 290,891 times
Hi xGrendelx. Just curious; which major are you pursuing?

Before I was 6, I lived off and on in CA for about 2 years, and passed through San Fran with my parents. My mom remembers CA pretty well, and found it to be a much warmer climate. She saw race horses exercising / warming up on the beaches. That must've been a novel site. People were more open minded. It seems there would be a lot more freedom there. My mom found the Pacific more enjoyable. We lived in Arcadia, Pasadena, and Englewood, and for a short time, Palm Springs. My husband and I would consider CA except for the higher cost of living (for us). SF certainly has lots of scenic sites, and also a great opera house!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
In the future I am planning to move out from here. OMG these people does not know how to drive for anything. I was in Norfolk, there were a couple of floods. I am behind them and they did sudden stops, I almost hit them on the back. It's ridiculous. I was WHoah these people here needs more practice in driving because it was nuts.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I'm planning to relocate too. I'm leaving to go to San Francisco for school this January. I was supposed to leave a few months ago, but got held back for various reasons. Right now, my plan is saving money. Save, save, save. I've been looking on craigslist to see what the apartment prices are like, which helps me to determine where in the city I'll end up. I'm also looking on craigslist for job listings to see what kind of jobs are available. There seems to be a lot charity organizations looking for help out there, which would be pretty sweet to work for. I don't know if I really have any tips since this is my first move out of Hampton Roads, but researching SF as much as possible has helped tremendously. I know what areas to avoid and which to visit, what type of people live in each neighborhood, how long my commute to school would be if I lived in a given part of the city, what buses and trains to take to get to school, how much the average rent is, the crime stats, the demographics, the main roads, the neighborhood borders, the climate, and so on. Most of which I knew before I ever stepped foot in California. My advice is if you know where you plan on going, research the crap out of it. I mean really get to know the city as much as possible. I've practically memorized a map of San Francisco, so it would be really hard for me to get lost there. In fact, I actually was able to tell a cabbie my preferred route to get from one side of the city to the other my first trip there. Which reminds me, try to visit the place as much as possible before moving (seems obvious, I know) because, even though research can get you pretty far, real-life experience is always a better way to learn. I've already been to SF twice this year (both times for a week) and I'm planning on going once more before I move.

So, where do you think you're headed?

good luck on the move, cool city and you should enjoy it there ...just be prepared for a big difference in weather compared to Hampton Roads...

Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 AM

I don't hate Hampton Roads but I am looking forward to my next move, I will soon retire ( 2-3 years) and the wife and I plan to build our retirement home along the shoreline of either NC or SC but before we do that we plan on spending 1-3 years as full time RV'ers just traveling the country....Have had sometype of RV for 20+ years so that is nothing new but trying to learn everything there is to know about doing it full time has been a fun and exciting experence for us.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM

520 posts, read 1,627,149 times
My parents are planning to do that. They retired to Florida, but plan to sell the house in the retirement community they bought after leaving Chesapeake. They dig the RV thing. Father tends to frequent some forums on it.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
My parents are planning to do that. They retired to Florida, but plan to sell the house in the retirement community they bought after leaving Chesapeake. They dig the RV thing. Father tends to frequent some forums on it.
We enjoy it, the longest we have ever traveled away from home without returning is about 4 months but we still had to deal with all of the home ownership responsibilities while away........Looking forward to not having to deal with those when we go full time, but also kind of scary at the same time knowing you don't have a place to return to whenever you want...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area