Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you ride rail in hampton roads?
Yes, I'll ride 59 62.77%
No, I'd never ride. 14 14.89%
I'll ride once or twice 21 22.34%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2009, 11:14 AM

43 posts, read 126,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I can already see the news reports of harassments and robberies on the trains. There are lots and lots of vagrant people in this area, mostly around the Norfolk area. It has gotten really worse since the 60`s too. As the trains will have ac and heat, lots will just ride to get in out of the weather. Who will police this? I can see lots of people board the train, look around and see if it is safe to ride. LR is nothing more than an above ground subway. I think it will be a huge failure that we will be stuck with having to pay for. What better way to give thugs a way to move around than to build them a train to ride on. Another **** poor Hampton Roads idea to waste money on.

I guess you're the only other person on here that realize the potential problems that could result from going into areas around Norfolk.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Thinkblue82, downtown is a great place to be and has many things for a family to do! The train does not go through the hoood, and even if it did who would commit a crime using LR as a getaway vehicle? The police wuld be at the next statio waiting for them to disembark. Be for real. I'm tired of that "norfolk is dangerous, dont let it spread to VB" total crap.
You're tired of that talk? Maybe if Norfolk would clean there **** up it wouldn't be so much talk. Most of Norfolk is the ghetto. If you don't see it you're blind or just immune to the ghetto. I can't think of many areas at all in Norfolk that I would go to after dark. In Virginia Beach and Chesapeake I still feel safe in plenty areas after dark. Granted Virginia Beach is having more problems these days than 10 years ago but still much better than Norfolk.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue82 View Post
You're missing the point. I guess you've never been in the projects around Tidewater Drive. You don't think people who live there will jump on the train to come out to Town Center? I guarantee you they will.

It has nothing to do stealing tv's and computers so why don't you think before you type crap like that.

It's about bringing a bunch of thugs from Norfolk to a nice area like Town Center and cause problems. Just wait to you see a bunch of thugs jump on the train so they can go to Red Star and Keagans and try and cause a bunch of trouble. Or when they hang out around Town Center on benchs trying to harrash women. Or the people who want to stalk women walking by themselves in the parking garages at night alone.

If you don't see this as a possible reality I feel sorry for you because you'll be one of the victims from one of these thugs who just happeend to hop on a train to get to a nice prestigous area because they live in the ghetto.

I'm all for being aware of your surroundings and making sure you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time, but this just seems a little silly to me. It sounds to me like you don't actually know many people who live in rough areas of Norfolk. If you did, you'd know many of them could care less about Town Center.

If they're in the pj's already, they have Downtown Norfolk within walking distance, for one. The Oceanfront has more appeal than Town Center does as well. You make it seem like everyone in the projects are troublemakers just biding their time until the train arrives so they can ruin Town Center. The point is, if someone wants to cause trouble in Town Center they don't need a train to do it. If any problems do arise they'll probably be from VB's own thugs anyway - we've got 'em too.

My guess is the bigger Town Center grows, the more opportunities there will be for Virginia Beach's own "homegrown" troublemakers to harass women and stalk people in parking garages. Right now, there's no reason for people of that mind set who live in Norfolk to hang around TC since Downtown satisfies all their needs - train or no train. There's reasons why certain areas attract the people you describe. Proximity to their home is a big one, as well as the layout of the streets, sidewalk usage, types of shops and businesses, etc. They're the same reasons you see more homeless Downtown than in TC: Downtown has what they need. TC is full of yuppie shops and restaurants. Some thug or crazy guy would stick out like a sore thumb! Thinking they're gonna go to TC because it's nice and they're from the hood is like thinking only Mercedes and BMWs get broken into and stolen by poor thugs, but that's not the case. Most burglaries don't take place in super rich neighborhoods either. I'm not sure why you think poor people are going to want to get on a train and hang out in TC simply because it's an affluent area and they come from the ghetto. It doesn't make sense.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I'm all for being aware of your surroundings and making sure you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time, but this just seems a little silly to me. It sounds to me like you don't actually know many people who live in rough areas of Norfolk. If you did, you'd know many of them could care less about Town Center.

If they're in the pj's already, they have Downtown Norfolk within walking distance, for one. The Oceanfront has more appeal than Town Center does as well. You make it seem like everyone in the projects are troublemakers just biding their time until the train arrives so they can ruin Town Center. The point is, if someone wants to cause trouble in Town Center they don't need a train to do it. If any problems do arise they'll probably be from VB's own thugs anyway - we've got 'em too.

My guess is the bigger Town Center grows, the more opportunities there will be for Virginia Beach's own "homegrown" troublemakers to harass women and stalk people in parking garages. Right now, there's no reason for people of that mind set who live in Norfolk to hang around TC since Downtown satisfies all their needs - train or no train. There's reasons why certain areas attract the people you describe. Proximity to their home is a big one, as well as the layout of the streets, sidewalk usage, types of shops and businesses, etc. They're the same reasons you see more homeless Downtown than in TC: Downtown has what they need. TC is full of yuppie shops and restaurants. Some thug or crazy guy would stick out like a sore thumb! Thinking they're gonna go to TC because it's nice and they're from the hood is like thinking only Mercedes and BMWs get broken into and stolen by poor thugs, but that's not the case. Most burglaries don't take place in super rich neighborhoods either. I'm not sure why you think poor people are going to want to get on a train and hang out in TC simply because it's an affluent area and they come from the ghetto. It doesn't make sense.

I don't know why people keep bringing up "poor people".

You make some good points but I don't buy it. Several reasons. I am friends with several people who grew up in NYC and they said it's common in NYC to see people from rough neighborhoods to come to different areas that can be more enjoyable. Now, you're right about Town Centers rests and shops. As long as Town Center keeps up it's dress code they can probably keep the thugs out.

However, don't think for a second that some Norfolk trash will never come to an area like Town Center or the other parts of VB that the LR goes by.

My other reasoning is as I stated before. A good friend of mine is a cop and he's told me that one worry that the cops have is dealing with the wave of people coming from Norfolk to VB because of the light rail. Specifically the trouble makers. Maybe they will come to Town Center. Maybe not. But the ligth rail will bring trouble makers into Virginia Beach that otherwise might never had came.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:15 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,777 times
I think it will balance out. Yes, there will be more 'trouble makers' if LR comes to the Beach but it will also just bring more people period - the good and the bad. The more eyes that are in an area the safer it will be.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM

Wait a second..is the light rail even coming to Town Center or VB? I think it's stoping at the border.

http://www.24sevencities.com/wp-cont..._map_large.jpg

View map unless it's old.

I was reading up on some things and talked to others about this issue. They said VB has been putting this off as long as they could/can because of the trouble the light rail will bring. The city won't publicly come out and say it but they know nothing great will come from having a light rail system connect Norfolk and VB. Look at the stops on that map. Those areas are just super safe

Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,138 times
All I can do is shake my head at you ThinkBlue82.

You seeem a little ignorant in my opinion.

What's wrong with Eastern Virginia Medial School, Freemason, downtown, Harbor Park, Norfolk State, Ballentine Blvd, Ingelside, Military Hwy, and Newtown Rd.? You really think those are dangerous? SMH.

And what you said about the city of VB "wont publicly come out and say it" is crap too. Why on earth would they purchase a 40M ROW for LRT, a 5M lot for a station, and allowed HRT to study the process? Your not too bright.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times
Quote:
I don't know why people keep bringing up "poor people".

You make some good points but I don't buy it. Several reasons. I am friends with several people who grew up in NYC and they said it's common in NYC to see people from rough neighborhoods to come to different areas that can be more enjoyable. Now, you're right about Town Centers rests and shops. As long as Town Center keeps up it's dress code they can probably keep the thugs out.

However, don't think for a second that some Norfolk trash will never come to an area like Town Center or the other parts of VB that the LR goes by.

My other reasoning is as I stated before. A good friend of mine is a cop and he's told me that one worry that the cops have is dealing with the wave of people coming from Norfolk to VB because of the light rail. Specifically the trouble makers. Maybe they will come to Town Center. Maybe not. But the ligth rail will bring trouble makers into Virginia Beach that otherwise might never had came.

Well if you have your sources, you have your sources. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

I will say this though: we keep bringing up poor people because you were referencing the ghetto and the projects, where poor people live. That's only logical.

Also, NYC is completely different than HR. It's hard to take what you know there and apply it here. NYC is set up in a way that encourages travel throughout every borough, and every borough has areas that attract all types of people, from the rich to the panhandler. Cities like New York have millions of people living on top of each other, so it's impossible to find areas that appeal to one specific type of person you like while avoiding the areas that appeal to those you don't. Here, not so much.

And I agree with citydweller in that light rail is going to move a lot of regular people between VB and Norfolk too, not just the bad. Just keep your wits about you, there's not really a whole lot else you can do.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
All I can do is shake my head at you ThinkBlue82.

You seeem a little ignorant in my opinion.

What's wrong with Eastern Virginia Medial School, Freemason, downtown, Harbor Park, Norfolk State, Ballentine Blvd, Ingelside, Military Hwy, and Newtown Rd.? You really think those are dangerous? SMH.

And what you said about the city of VB "wont publicly come out and say it" is crap too. Why on earth would they purchase a 40M ROW for LRT, a 5M lot for a station, and allowed HRT to study the process? Your not too bright.

Cut the guy a break.....talk about not being to bright...you are the only one walking the face of the earth that still thinks Va Bch will have light rail running in 3-5 years........So I think the same could be said about you....We all know you have a man love for light rail, but not everyone see's light rail though the rose colored glasses you seem to wear......Bottom line is yes many people at the beach do not want light rail and one of those reasons is the crime it could bring to the beach.......is it a real issue? who knows but you see people dont have to be right about an opinion, they just have to have one and it enough people have the same concern or opinion about an increase of crime then that is something the mayor and city council will have to address because to any politican all an opinion is, is a vote and they want to be on the side that controls the largest number of the same opinions...........and facts will prove that crime goes to where the people are at.....

Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM

136 posts, read 443,587 times
Quote:
You're missing the point. I guess you've never been in the projects around Tidewater Drive. You don't think people who live there will jump on the train to come out to Town Center? I guarantee you they will.

It has nothing to do stealing tv's and computers so why don't you think before you type crap like that.

It's about bringing a bunch of thugs from Norfolk to a nice area like Town Center and cause problems. Just wait to you see a bunch of thugs jump on the train so they can go to Red Star and Keagans and try and cause a bunch of trouble. Or when they hang out around Town Center on benchs trying to harrash women. Or the people who want to stalk women walking by themselves in the parking garages at night alone.

If you don't see this as a possible reality I feel sorry for you because you'll be one of the victims from one of these thugs who just happeend to hop on a train to get to a nice prestigous area because they live in the ghetto.
But wait! There is already a MAX bus that is an express route to the VB oceanfront. It takes troublemakers to the oceanfront in less than an hour! And it begins right next to the dreaded Norfolk ghetto! OH NOES! The Virginia Beach oceanfront must be filled with non-driving ghetto thugs causing trouble!

Logic, it is your friend. Use it instead of baseless fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area