Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,348,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
If Hampton Roads ever wants to steal jobs from Northern VA and compete nationally it needs to get its traffic together.
Exactly. How in the heck are we supopsed to grow our economy if we can't even get from the southside to the peninsula at rush hour except by helicopter? Imagine how much worse the traffic will be when Craney Island is complete and 54,000 new jobs are created? We are supposed to top 2 million residents by 2020-2025. We need LRT. So stop being selfish and embrace the trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:21 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,028,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I find it funny that you don't think this thing will be extended to Town Center and the Oceanfront in a couple years.

The DRPT, HRT, and the TPO are in the process of finalizing the HRTVP (Hampton Roads Transit Vision Plan) with 300 miles of higher speed/ rapid transit.

You are right I don't think it will, Va Bch has already stated it will be at least 6 years before any decision is made to go forward or not with light rail.

As I have stated before Va Bch or any of the other surrounding cities will not do anything until they see what kind of numbers the starter line produces in Norfolk......now Norfolk is the smallest city in the nation to start a light rail project and is betting on ridership numbers that just will not be reached. ...that was Norfolk's first mistake by padding the ridership numbers to try to make their city look better then what it really is.......Now in doing so, they have screwed the surrounding cities when it comes time for the other local city leaders to try and sell this project to their residents because of what will be lower then expected ridership numbers....... If Norfolk would of used much lower ridership numbers and then could of shown in a few years that the numbers matched or were higher then expected then you might of seen other local cities jump on board faster...but as usual one Hampton Roads city in looking out just of it's self and not the Hampton Roads area as a whole has messed it up for the rest of the area again.....nothing new as it has been this way for many years.......

Sure, who the cities leaders are in 6 plus years and how the economy is doing will play a major part in the final decision but it is my guess that any expansion of light rail will be put on the back burner for at least a number of years..... because based on what most "experts" believe when they talk about future global, national and local economic trends I would guess that Va Bch is at least 10-15 years away from the start of any light rail project "if" it is approved.....So the bottom line is anyone still in the area in 2030-2040 and beyond might get to ride a multi city light rail system in Hampton Roads.....

So yes....it does make me laugh when people like cityboi talks like it is going to happen over night....so sure enjoy your 7 mile starter line because that is all there is going to be for at least the next decade ....if not much, much longer

Last edited by rtandc; 11-02-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 AM

Your misinformed. That's all I can say.

The aa/eis will be complete in one year.
After that we can apply for new starts federal funding.
The va beach extension will be complete in 4-6 years.

Inform yourself. You have no idea what your talking about.

Norfolk didn't inflate any numbers. The projections weren't even done by the city.
The numbers are actually underestimated because they weren't allowed to use harbor park in the projections.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Your misinformed. That's all I can say.

The aa/eis will be complete in one year.
After that we can apply for new starts federal funding.
The va beach extension will be complete in 4-6 years.

Inform yourself. You have no idea what your talking about.

Norfolk didn't inflate any numbers. The projections weren't even done by the city.
The numbers are actually underestimated because they weren't allowed to use harbor park in the projections.

Please you crack me up, please take some time and learn about the local government.....One the study is pretty much done..... But it can not be reported until at least Dec of this year because the Virginia Beach City Council back in 1999 passed a 10-year resolution declaring that the city would no longer have any future involvement in the proposed light rail line. But they will wait until next year this time before declaring the study in an attempt to slow any possible law suits

Now back to the point, the city leaders of Va Bch has already stated they will explore the feasibility of light rail once they look at the numbers after the starter line has been in place and up and running for 5 years.......So that gets us right back to the 6 year window again before anything is decide to go forward or not with light rail.......any other questions you need answered?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Please you crack me up, please take some time and learn about the local government.....One the study is pretty much done..... But it can not be reported until at least Dec of this year because the Virginia Beach City Council back in 1999 passed a 10-year resolution declaring that the city would no longer have any future involvement in the proposed light rail line. But they will wait until next year this time before declaring the study in an attempt to slow any possible law suits

Now back to the point, the city leaders of Va Bch has already stated they will explore the feasibility of light rail once they look at the numbers after the starter line has been in place and up and running for 5 years.......So that gets us right back to the 6 year window again before anything is decide to go forward or not with light rail.......any other questions you need answered?
Everything you said is patently false. Find me a source document where the city says "we shall wait five years after the opening of Norfolk's 7 mile starter line until we even consider expanding light rail into our fair city." I'm positive you can't find it. Light rail should be under construction in Va Beach in less than three years.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:14 PM

87 posts, read 334,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Now back to the point, the city leaders of Va Bch has already stated they will explore the feasibility of light rail once they look at the numbers after the starter line has been in place and up and running for 5 years.......
I'm not cityboi's fanboy, but this is an incorrect statement. The 10 year window closes in a few months. The Navy supports an extension. Obama spends money with the best of them, and our mayor supports light rail. The city has made several overtures that clearly indicates an interest (study, Circuit City, and purchasing the line from NS) in rail. Your prediction might be correct if everything goes wrong, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbehson View Post
I'm not cityboi's fanboy, but this is an incorrect statement. The 10 year window closes in a few months. The Navy supports an extension. Obama spends money with the best of them, and our mayor supports light rail. The city has made several overtures that clearly indicates an interest (study, Circuit City, and purchasing the line from NS) in rail. Your prediction might be correct if everything goes wrong, but I wouldn't count on it.
Oh yeah, I didn't even mention that there could be potential Department of Defense funding for a spur to Oceana and NOB.

But according to rtandc, the city paid $40m for the abandoned ROW and Circuit City lot, just to wait 5 years and watch Norfolk's LR line.

Rtandc, you don't make sense

Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 PM

Get the light rail gear. Bumper stickers, t shirts, cups, etc. SUPPORT LIGHT RAIL!

757 Hampton Roads

Old 11-03-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Everything you said is patently false. Find me a source document where the city says "we shall wait five years after the opening of Norfolk's 7 mile starter line until we even consider expanding light rail into our fair city." I'm positive you can't find it. Light rail should be under construction in Va Beach in less than three years.

This is what the mayor has said at several local meeting, including at my local civic league.....sorry no links........

But since you are so sure you are right and I am wrong....lets play this game.......Show me links that show where light rail will be under construction in Va Bch in less then 3 years...........I'll wait...*****crickets.......****** still waiting........

Edit*****While I wait I did a quick search....it took all of 0.11 seconds and was the first link....here is that link that talks about the project at least 6 years away.....

http://www.gohrt.com/pressroom/?p=464 (broken link)

Now I am sure you wont be satisfied with just that ....so here is a thought.......why don't you get your question answered straight from the mayor himself and then you can report back here on what he stated....his number is 385-4581

Last edited by rtandc; 11-03-2009 at 05:35 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 AM

http://www.gohrt.com/vbtes/documents/VB%20CC%20Presentation_090519.pdf (broken link)

The EIS will be done this summer,then a ROD (Record of Decision)/ LPA (Locally Preferred Alternative) will be signed. After that, we apply for federal/state funds. We conduct Prelim. Engineering/FEIS. Recieve FFGA (Full Funding Grant Agreement), start consturction. Timeline=3 years.

Your lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area