Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:39 PM

8 posts, read 17,088 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if Norfolk is a safe place to live in,and is it affordable? They dont really pay much,im relocating from Las Vegas,how does the cost of living compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 06:45 PM

134 posts, read 545,555 times
The cost of living should be fairly similar except the housing here hasn't dived as much as in Vegas. Vegas built 100x more houses/condos during the boom. Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com The whole idea on what is socially acceptable is completely different here... Be prepared for that one. Lots of law involving alcohol that you may not be used to. Norfolk has good and bad areas. Checkout Ghent for an affordable apartment in a nice area that is close to work.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 17,088 times
thanks you much! I hate las vegas and im so ready to leave,im here because of a ****ty situation,anyway. I'll check Ghent out,i hope i can get other Peta employees as roomates

Old 12-25-2009, 07:15 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,086,171 times
pugtales, the taxes here are killers and the food and entertainment much much more expensive. but we have adapated after 9 years in vegas, but we loved it there

Old 12-25-2009, 07:39 PM

6,741 posts, read 4,433,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugtales View Post
I would like to know if Norfolk is a safe place to live in,and is it affordable? They dont really pay much,im relocating from Las Vegas,how does the cost of living compare?
You are right they dont pay much. You also can not wear leather or fur, or eat meat if you work there. The one thing I have read that best describes them is, They are more interested in making a political statement than they are in helping animals. Read some other posts here on Peta before you apply to work there.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:12 PM

486 posts, read 1,950,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
You are right they dont pay much. You also can not wear leather or fur, or eat meat if you work there.
Not true. Peta has many different jobs. Some positions do require you to be vegetarian or vegan (e.g., all PETA’s campaign and media spokesperson positions, and all FSAP’s fundraising and development positions). However, many positions do not require this.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 PM

90 posts, read 288,609 times
We moved from Denver to Norfolk about 6 months ago. BIG culture shock for us, so brace yourself.

I've found living expenses are about the same as Colorado & in some areas are even cheaper.

There are some areas in Norfolk you want to stay away from, let me know if you need some advice in regards to that.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:13 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,027,482 times
FYI....check out the PETA job real good before you take it.......Even though PETA's goal is to keep their head quarters in Norfolk they are down sizing and moving much of their operations to the west coast...you might get out here and find yourself without a job in a few months if you are not careful

Old 12-28-2009, 08:03 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,617,374 times
Yeah I heard they are moving some of their people to CA because the views in CA are more in line with theirs. Can't say I'll be sad to see them go.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:30 PM

134 posts, read 545,555 times
From what I understand they are only moving about a quarter of their people to LA. The marketing and public relations type jobs that require a community with a large creative class which is something Hampton Roads and Virginia are lagging behind on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area