Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2877 View Post
HI (sp?) sounds rough. Not the paradise we hear about..
Back in the early 1990s, one of my professors at the William S. Richardson School of Law edited a two-volume series of essays entitled "The Price of Paradise." Nearly 20 years later, Hawai'i is still facing many of the problems that the contributors wrote about (as well as a few new ones). Below are links to the PDFs of the "Price of Paradise" for those who are interesting in reading it....
The Price of Paradise, Volume I
The Price of Paradise, Volume II
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomistick View Post
We can also see that massage is becoming even more widely accepted by young adults, which means that there will be a greater demand for it in the future as more and more young adults enter the consumer markets.
Lomo, its clear you already made you mind up. You do not want to hear anything but that your right and come over and all will be well. As i read your responses, you could be saying you want to come here and raise penguins on Waikiki Beach and no matter what anyone says, you will find something t o make what you want to be correct. You do not want to discuss anything if it does not agree with your idea of moving to Hawaii.

On that, I say:
Move and come to Hawaii. If your sucessful you can throw it all in everyones face. You can climb to the tiop of the mountain and scream how right you are.

Move and come to Hawaii. If you fail and the fauilure is because you didn;t even want to think or discuss anything that did not meet your fantasy of being a MT on Hawaii, hopefully nobody will give a sheet about you or care about your failure and won;t throw it back in your face.

You can come to Hawaii and you can make it as a MT, but if you do not know the roadblocks or the pitfalls, you will not be prepared to sucessed because you won;t have any idea of what to really expect. From what I read of your post, you will come with only one idea in your head. If that idea falls flat, you will just be another homeless mainlander begging for food and money while sleeping under the overpass. We have seen your kind many times and those telling you to do real research are doing it because they don;t need more homelss and would rather you plan and suceed than what your doing now, plan for failure. Aloha (hard).

Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,780 times
It's not a joke as you seem to imply with your remark. Life on an island can be rough at times even with a home and job. If you have neither it is extremely hard.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:57 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
... My whole life has been a beautiful dream...
obviously so

Old 01-06-2011, 01:15 AM

64 posts, read 173,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Lomo, its clear you already made you mind up. You do not want to hear anything but that your right and come over and all will be well. As i read your responses, you could be saying you want to come here and raise penguins on Waikiki Beach and no matter what anyone says, you will find something t o make what you want to be correct. You do not want to discuss anything if it does not agree with your idea of moving to Hawaii.
The same exact thing could be said about all of you. You have all made up your mind about me. I could say anything and you would come back with the same negativity. You do not want to discuss anything if it is not in line with your perspective of reality.

You have spoken with so many failures that sounded like me, that you automatically assume I must be one of them. If it quacks like a duck, it MUST be a duck right?

Quote:
On that, I say:
Move and come to Hawaii. If your sucessful you can throw it all in everyones face. You can climb to the tiop of the mountain and scream how right you are.

Move and come to Hawaii. If you fail and the fauilure is because you didn;t even want to think or discuss anything that did not meet your fantasy of being a MT on Hawaii, hopefully nobody will give a sheet about you or care about your failure and won;t throw it back in your face.
Not if, but when I am successful, I will not throw it in anyone's face because I am not a vengeful person. I will just enjoy my beautiful life in peace with the people that love me.

Regardless of whether or not I succeed or fail, nobody on this board will care. None of you know anything about me and none of you have my best interests in mind. None of you will even remember me in a year's time. It's a joke that you would even pretend to care.

In essence, nobody cares.

Quote:

You can come to Hawaii and you can make it as a MT, but if you do not know the roadblocks or the pitfalls, you will not be prepared to sucessed because you won;t have any idea of what to really expect. From what I read of your post, you will come with only one idea in your head. If that idea falls flat, you will just be another homeless mainlander begging for food and money while sleeping under the overpass. We have seen your kind many times and those telling you to do real research are doing it because they don;t need more homelss and would rather you plan and suceed than what your doing now, plan for failure. Aloha (hard).
"My kind"? Holy cow man, that's kind of disgusting. You don't even know what "my kind" is. Your words are so disappointing.

Homeless? Ok, now this is getting ridiculous.

You are a fool to judge a stranger on the internet that you have never met as an ignorant buffoon without a backup plan.

Someday you should learn about the power of positive thinking. Do not confused positive thinking with being naive, dreamy, or not based in reality. When you are positive, intelligent, well-thought out, well planned, motivated, hard-working, and have heart, there is almost nothing that can stop you.

It was my dream to work and live in Japan, and learn the Japanese language. I planned it out for over 3 and a half years, moved here, lived here for 4 years, dealt with cultural differences, language barriers, my company going bankrupt, the worst racism you have ever seen in your life, and I have become fluent in one of the most difficult languages one can learn. What makes you think for a second that life in my home country in a place I have ALREADY lived in for 2 years is even going to be anywhere near half as challenging as Japan?

Golly gee, I wonder what foreign language is the most useful and helpful for getting a job on Oahu... *lightbulb*

The challenges I have already undergone in my life would put most all of you to shame.

All of your forebodings of perilous misery are laughable to me.

A lot of you should stop getting on the internet and judging complete strangers as if you know ANYTHING about them. It is abysmally ignorant.

I am not on of "these kind" you speak of, so you can take all of your horrible judgments, negative assumptions, hurtful comments, and keep them to yourself.

You also might want to think about spelling lessons. If you can't even spell "success" than how can you know anything about it?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 AM

91 posts, read 419,608 times
Quote:
The same exact thing could be said about all of you. You have all made up your mind about me. I could say anything and you would come back with the same negativity. You do not want to discuss anything if it is not in line with your perspective of reality.

You have spoken with so many failures that sounded like me, that you automatically assume I must be one of them. If it quacks like a duck, it MUST be a duck right?

Not if, but when I am successful, I will not throw it in anyone's face because I am not a vengeful person. I will just enjoy my beautiful life in peace with the people that love me.

Regardless of whether or not I succeed or fail, nobody on this board will care. None of you know anything about me and none of you have my best interests in mind. None of you will even remember me in a year's time. It's a joke that you would even pretend to care.

In essence, nobody cares.

"My kind"? Holy cow man, that's kind of disgusting. You don't even know what "my kind" is. Your words are so disappointing.

Homeless? Ok, now this is getting ridiculous.

You are a fool to judge a stranger on the internet that you have never met as an ignorant buffoon without a backup plan.

Someday you should learn about the power of positive thinking. Do not confused positive thinking with being naive, dreamy, or not based in reality. When you are positive, intelligent, well-thought out, well planned, motivated, hard-working, and have heart, there is almost nothing that can stop you.

It was my dream to work and live in Japan, and learn the Japanese language. I planned it out for over 3 and a half years, moved here, lived here for 4 years, dealt with cultural differences, language barriers, my company going bankrupt, the worst racism you have ever seen in your life, and I have become fluent in one of the most difficult languages one can learn. What makes you think for a second that life in my home country in a place I have ALREADY lived in for 2 years is even going to be anywhere near half as challenging as Japan?

Golly gee, I wonder what foreign language is the most useful and helpful for getting a job on Oahu... *lightbulb*

The challenges I have already undergone in my life would put most all of you to shame.

All of your forebodings of perilous misery are laughable to me.

A lot of you should stop getting on the internet and judging complete strangers as if you know ANYTHING about them. It is abysmally ignorant.

I am not on of "these kind" you speak of, so you can take all of your horrible judgments, negative assumptions, hurtful comments, and keep them to yourself.

You also might want to think about spelling lessons. If you can't even spell "success" than how can you know anything about it?

Sounds like a troll. Please end up on Oahu and not Maui :-)

-V

Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post

-V
Calls to mind the quote: "Methinks he doth protest too much!"

Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 AM

674 posts, read 1,458,693 times
Someone read "The Secret" a bit too literally.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 PM

64 posts, read 173,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post

-V
Thank you for coming into this thread, sharing a hurtful negative remark with no helpful
or substantial information in a pitiful attempt to upset me.

Seems to me that you are in fact the one guilty of your own accusation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Calls to mind the quote: "Methinks he doth protest too much!"
"I feel stupid because Lomistick showed everyone how wrong I was. I think I will keep my posts short from now
on or I might look like an even bigger fool. I will just harrass people now with irritating remarks because
I am upset." - Nullgeo

I won't address your pointless negativity anymore unless you have something substantial to say.
We all know that won't happent though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Someone read "The Secret" a bit too literally.
Or perhaps you are letting fear run your life and your jealous that I don't?

You can see that these 3 people have nothing positive to offer.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM

206 posts, read 466,166 times
Lomstick, your self-righteous rants and personal attacks on other people are a real downer; I would not classify you as a person having a good, peaceful attitude or outlook on life. It is the reality that the way you think neither entitles nor guarantees that you will make it somewhere new. But if you think that all of those people who lost their jobs and are struggling because of the downturn are righteously punished for holding negative vibes, then I think that you definitely should come to Hawaii and pursue the most outlandish professions possible; but I guess you wouldn't even learn from a mistake because everything is turned into something "positive." Your posts give a new meaning to the title of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: