Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times

Advertisements

Are you sure about the mainland insurance being valid in Hawaii, PacificFlights? I've always thought it didn't transfer at all? I'm guessing the safety inspection station won't accept it? If I were the OP, I'd probably check with my insurance agent to make sure it was valid for use in Hawaii. Just to be certain sure, one would hate to have to need it and it not be valid.

Our state is really different than the rest of them when it comes to transferring anything to the state, whether it is bank accounts, insurance, licenses, pets, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Are you sure about the mainland insurance being valid in Hawaii, PacificFlights? I've always thought it didn't transfer at all? I'm guessing the safety inspection station won't accept it? If I were the OP, I'd probably check with my insurance agent to make sure it was valid for use in Hawaii. Just to be certain sure, one would hate to have to need it and it not be valid.

Our state is really different than the rest of them when it comes to transferring anything to the state, whether it is bank accounts, insurance, licenses, pets, etc. etc.
I think his point was, mainland insurance is valid in Hawaii (for instance a tourist) - but it is not valid to register a car in Hawaii. You have to present Hawaii insurance for a safety check.

When you move, regardless if to Hawaii or Maine - you are technically getting a new policy, not transferring.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM

46 posts, read 162,122 times
In respond to transit plates option:

Yep, I've checked that option and was told that I have no such option (Nebraska).
They can give transit plates only if you just bought it and that's it, no other way around... I've spent almost an hour in DMV there, no way to get it. Only one way to make it fully legal - register it but it was $450 out of pocket just for a month as my registration was up to December 2010 and that amount extend it till December 2011. I bet ticket will cost me less here

Old 11-09-2011, 05:56 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Ouch! Cars sure can be expensive. Well, if you get a ticket, keep it from being a moving violation since those will jack up your insurance rates for years afterwards.

Frequently, if you tell the nice officer that you are on your way to get a safety inspection and get all the paperwork done and you already have valid insurance, they will just give you a warning to get it fixed within a certain amount of time. You get it fixed and show the court you've gotten it fixed and that's usually the end of it. I'm not sure how much of what to write is at the police officer's discretion. Not having insurance is a big no-no, though, so make sure you have that.

Do you have to pay the back registration in Nebraska before you can register the car in Hawaii? If the car had been sitting in Hawaii all this time, you'd have to pay the back registration to get it back on the road. If you leave the car in storage in Hawaii, turn the plates in, then the registration goes dormant and doesn't rack up a big back registration fee.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM

I was asked the same and i was told that as long as it was not used during that period and it will be registered in another state therafter I don't need to pay registration up to now. If I want to register in Nebraska - yes, I need to pay $450 to register it up to December 2011. But since I'm moving it here and will register it right away I don't need to pay back registration there.

Will call to DMV here, who know what they have in mind about this situation.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetaldj View Post
In respond to transit plates option:

Yep, I've checked that option and was told that I have no such option (Nebraska).
They can give transit plates only if you just bought it and that's it, no other way around... I've spent almost an hour in DMV there, no way to get it. Only one way to make it fully legal - register it but it was $450 out of pocket just for a month as my registration was up to December 2010 and that amount extend it till December 2011. I bet ticket will cost me less here

Shucks, they limit it to just purchase.

Do you have a family member (spouse) moving with you? have them buy it from you. (so long as not already in both names) so they get the transit plates in their name. On hawaii you regoster it like normal in both names.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I think his point was, mainland insurance is valid in Hawaii (for instance a tourist) - but it is not valid to register a car in Hawaii. You have to present Hawaii insurance for a safety check.

When you move, regardless if to Hawaii or Maine - you are technically getting a new policy, not transferring.
Yeah thats what i meant. The insurance is valid just like if you drove to any other state to visit, but to register you need to get a Hawaii policy. That why your not considered uninsured when you drive off the dock cause the other insurance carries over until you register in the state.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

Shucks, they limit it to just purchase.

Do you have a family member (spouse) moving with you? have them buy it from you. (so long as not already in both names) so they get the transit plates in their name. On hawaii you regoster it like normal in both names.
Oh well, only one person who can buy it it's our 2 year old daughter as we both listed as owners, so this is not our case...

Well, I've got an idea what to do so I will get back here as soon as I register that car. It's ready to swim here so I should get some updates in a week or so. I found a place near the port for safety and will use my other car to go to DMV to register it.

Thanks all!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 PM

7 posts, read 13,274 times
Default Safety Check

I plan on shipping my car to Hilo next year. What is a safety check & what do they check & how much do they charge. Thanks for any info.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Well, I did one safety check till now and it seems to me that it more like 'because we need to do it' then real check. Maybe because of location (I did it at gas station). But, based on slip they give to you they suppose to check bunch of safety things like breaks, tires, lights, wipers etc. It costs around $15 and usualy done very quickly. like 15 min or so.

I repeat, it was in my situation, maybe other places more thourogh in this kind of check and it takes longer. But main thing, if your car is stock and everythings sonds there you will not have any problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii