Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 PM

46 posts, read 162,055 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a car that was in storage for a year and of course registration was expired. I'm shipping it here and have some questions

As I understand I need to have safety first before registration, is that correct? Can I do safety with expired registration from out of state? How safety to drive for a day without valid registration? How police look on this? Did anybody has same situation here in Honolulu?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 PM

52 posts, read 159,422 times
You can do the safety check but the station that does the check isn't authorized to give you proof of the safety check until your car is registered either in your mainland state or in Hawaii. The police would probably give you a ticket don't you think?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
You can get a safety check with expired registration. The important document is proof of valid Hawaii insurance for the vehicle - you must have that for the safety check.

Driving without valid registration is like anywhere else on the mainland. You can get away with it until the police notice it - considering 2011 registration was a white tag and 2012 is a black tag - it is fairly easy for them to notice. From there expect a ticket if pulled over.

Last edited by whtviper1; 11-08-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: added, need Hawaii insurance

Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM

52 posts, read 159,422 times
Also, I have USAA insurance and for Hawaii you need this special proof of insurance that has this gold-like background on it. I'm not sure if cops are really sticklers for this but I had to go into town to pick up my copy.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit808 View Post
Also, I have USAA insurance and for Hawaii you need this special proof of insurance that has this gold-like background on it. I'm not sure if cops are really sticklers for this but I had to go into town to pick up my copy.
All insurance cards in Hawaii have to be sent by the insurance company - you cannot print your own card they send via email. Sometimes that takes a long time in the mail but you can visit the office of your agent to have one printed.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Mainland insurance usually isn't valid in Hawaii, so check to make sure the insurance for it is valid in this state. Then go get it safety checked and they will give you the safety check papers with the notation on it that the registration is expired. Then go get it registered and go back to the safety inspection station and they will put the sticker on the car.

I suppose, if one is being perfectly legal, one has the car towed to the safety inspection station. Then one takes the bus or a cab or a friend's car to the registration office and back to the safety inspection station. If you are being a perfect person in a perfect world, of course.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM

I have valid Hawaii insurance as I have another car here and I was thinking to tow it to safety station as well as I think chance to get ticket here is very high, too much cops for small number of roads...

Thanks for great advices, will use that tow method, not that I'm perfect just don't want to get another ticket

Old 11-09-2011, 03:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Mainland auto insurance is valid in Hawaii so long as you are a transient visitor. Its the same as if you drive a car insured in Nevada to Utah, the insurance is good. The insurance is void once you are no longer considered a transient visitor or register the car in that other state. Just like on the mainalnd you can;t register a car in NY with a Oregon insurance card. You would required to change to a Hawaii insured policy.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks for info, I know that and since I live here for a year now and this car is just my car that was in storage in mainland and now I decided to take it here. I added it to my HI policy so I'm fine here.

Now I just need AAA to pay me back for my dues and tow it for free from port to safety station.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Have you looked into just getting a temporary transit plate from the state where it is now? That will make it legal on all roads for that time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii