Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jawaiian' Music - Yay or Nay?
I'm into Jawaiian' Music 8 42.11%
Not so into Jawaiian' Music 7 36.84%
What's Jawaiian' Music? 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:43 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
Hey Tiger Beer, sorry! Didn't mean to change this to Haw'n music when you were asking about Jawaiian. That's what I get for trying to do 3 things at once.
Let the thread vary all over the place. More interesting, for sure!

Listening to all up above, I much prefer the Hawaiian sound. I did like the Peter Moon sound...

But, as it loses the slack-key guitar and ukulele, I don't care for that sound at all. I could see someone who likes R&B or hiphop liking it, but I don't. I'ver never liked r&b or hiphop though.

Personally, I just love the sound of any guitars, ukuleles, string instruments of any kinds.

Now that I'm hearing what Jawaiian Music has evolved to, I'm hoping it dies out as well....love that ukulele and slack-key guitar sounds...maybe it'll get back into it...or music will evolve another way again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 01:08 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Let the thread vary all over the place. More interesting, for sure!

Listening to all up above, I much prefer the Hawaiian sound. I did like the Peter Moon sound...

But, as it loses the slack-key guitar and ukulele, I don't care for that sound at all. I could see someone who likes R&B or hiphop liking it, but I don't. I'ver never liked r&b or hiphop though.

Personally, I just love the sound of any guitars, ukuleles, string instruments of any kinds.

Now that I'm hearing what Jawaiian Music has evolved to, I'm hoping it dies out as well....love that ukulele and slack-key guitar sounds...maybe it'll get back into it...or music will evolve another way again.
While the ukulele is vanishing from "Jawaiian" music, it's showing up in local "hip-hop" music. For instance, 2011 Hoku Award winner Kepa Kruse uses it...

Kepa Kruse-- Headers and Webbers (w/lyrics) - YouTube

And, performers from other countries are embracing the ukulele. For instance, Hirai Dai from Japan uses the ukulele in "hip-hop" music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbINa...55410F982A9F35

Music is always evolving. As the music of Hawai'i is influenced by reggae, hip-hop, and rap, Hawaiian music has influenced music elsewhere.

For instance, Ziggy Marley's 2006 "Beach in Hawai'i"...

Ziggy Marley - Beach in Hawaii - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii