Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jawaiian' Music - Yay or Nay?
I'm into Jawaiian' Music 8 42.11%
Not so into Jawaiian' Music 7 36.84%
What's Jawaiian' Music? 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times

Advertisements

Jawaiian' Music - Yay or Nay?

Something you like, or not so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 AM

12 posts, read 26,641 times
I enjoy it! Island-y enough without being overkill.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
Little reluctant to post this...as don't know if it qualifies as Jawaiian' or not...but it's certainly a beautiful song..

Imua - Hana Butta Days - YouTube

Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Little reluctant to post this...as don't know if it qualifies as Jawaiian' or not...but it's certainly a beautiful song..

Imua - Hana Butta Days - YouTube
That particular song by "Hana Butta Days" by Imua is more "Island Contemporary" than "Jawaiian." It has a "calypso" rhythm that's characteristic of Trinidad and Tobogo instead of the "rock steady", "ska", and "one drop" rhythms characteristic of Jamaica.

"Jawaiian" is a style of music that blends the music of Hawai'i with that of Jamaica. During the 1970s, musicians in Hawai'i heard music by Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff and other reggae pioneers and occasionally performed "covers" of their songs. However, by the early 1980s, they realized that they could write their own "reggae" songs that reflected things in their lives.

One of the first "Jawaiian" songs was "Cane Fire" by the Peter Moon Band that came out in 1982...

Peter Moon Band " Cane Fire " Cane Fire - YouTube

Slack-key guitars, ukulele, and the "one drop" rhythm characterized "early "Jawaiian" music.

Willie K's 1991 "North Shore Reggae Blues" is an example of "classic Jawaiian" music...

Willie K Video - YouTube

Slack-key guitars, bass guitars, synthesizers, and the "one drop" rhythm. The ukulele is noticeably absent as Jawaiian music evolved towards a more "reggae" sound.

Anuhea's 2011 "Higher Than the Clouds" is an example of current Jawaiian music...

Anuhea- Higher Than the Clouds - YouTube

It has "hip-hop", "rap", "dancehall", and R&B influences, synthesizers, and the "one drop" rhythm. However, the slack-key guitar has disappeared now in addition to the ukulele...

Old 11-25-2011, 02:13 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,060 times
I don't like most of it. They dilute the reggae rhythms too much.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:16 PM

I like that Hana Butta Days song. I shared it on Facebook, I want to see what Trinidadians think of it.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM

BTW, I think a lot of Jawaiian songs sound more like soca than reggae. I don't think those musicians were ever exposed to soca music though.

Here is an example of soca

SOCA , TRINIDAD , CARIBBEAN - DESIRE- SKHI - YouTube

Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,461,806 times
I'm okay with it but I don't love it. My boyfriend is really into old school or traditional Hawaiian music, so I end up listening to that more. He hates Jawaiian music and I think some of his hatred rubbed off on me because I am finding myself less into it than I was. I like old school C&K, Kalapana, Makaha Sons of Niihau, Hui Ohana, etc...we always listen to the AM Hawaiian stations...I swear I'm 75 at heart!

Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 PM

404 posts, read 1,246,635 times
Well, maybe it is a generational difference but for me, authentic (both traditional and contemporary) Hawaiian music is in a class by itself, and there's really no competition between the two…none, zero, nada. There’s no sound like it anywhere, it's definitely got its own style and requires no fusion with other island music. It's been around a long time and hopefully will survive long after the Jawaiian phase has had its day in the sun. So much of it is pure poetry and timeless. It's so fine how young artists can take songs from even the 1800's and breathe new life into them. I like the subject matter too - you might think you're listening to some hauntingly romantic song and when translated you learn it might instead be about the love of their land, the water, the importance of family, their history...that says a lot. I kind of consider it one of the world’s best-kept secrets.

Jawaiian: no staying power, too much of the same beat and not special at all (to me)…just sounds kind of copycat, wink, blink, miss it. (Yeah, I know we're all different, this is my personal opinion only!)

MAUNALEO Kealihi Reichel - YouTube
^ lyrics with translation.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM

404 posts, read 1,246,635 times
Hey Tiger Beer, sorry! Didn't mean to change this to Haw'n music when you were asking about Jawaiian. That's what I get for trying to do 3 things at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii