Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,472 times

Advertisements

Take cards and credentials to all the real estate companies on the island. Get known. Then you can choose your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 PM

569 posts, read 780,077 times
Two more places to try condo associations and property management companies that rent out properties as vacation rentals on behalf of owners.
-

Old 12-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiKK View Post
Though we are flooded with handymen, I can count on one hand how many we actually use in the real estate industry. Bring your business card in, bring in references and drop your price to get established. Prove yourself with realtors and your business could thrive. I can't even get one of our favorites because he is so busy for weeks out.

If you are moving here anyway, it's worth a try.

Patti
We've been in real estate (including property management for homes and commercial) for 30 years and agree with Patti. Reliable, honest, and quality work from vendors is valuable..
Also agree with KH for a handyman (or contractor): "being good at what you do (if you are) and actually showing up (even when surf's up!)" I'd like to add that, in addition to surfing, "other" sports are not an exuse for being late or not showing. I know about "island time" and understand, but there are vendors on Hawaii that don't adhere to island time and are professional: those have our business.

We've been using a "handyman" with a Contractor license and we like him....as a friend too. In the past he hasn't been good about punctual arrival nor "remembering" the scope of work and we considered not using him, but he improved recently. The contractor we use for railing, fencing, etc. is very professional as is one of the home inspectors.

Due

Last edited by Due; 12-12-2013 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-13-2013, 11:46 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Another option might be high end woodworking to be sold at craft fairs. Dunno as if it would make as much and it can be semi-seasonal, but if you have your house and lot paid for and just need retirement income, it might work. A skilled high end furniture maker can stay busy and you don't have to lift as heavy of stuff as you do as a handyman. There are a lot of handy people, not so much really high end skilled folks. You can also sell stuff to galleries, but they take high commissions.

Or, if you could manage to live on only $20 an hour, there's always heavy house cleaning. Folks that will wash walls and windows are always in demand. Add in the ability to do small repairs and you may have something.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
You may want to consider S. Dakota, which ranks the highest for small business and entrepreneurship - Hawaii ranks 5th worst.

Article came out yesterday:

Hawaii fifth-worst for small business policy - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 12-13-2013, 11:57 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
I wonder how much of the poor ranking is from Hawaii's required employer health care provisions? We've had those in place forever while the rest of the country is playing catch up now. Will the rankings change once that effect is leveled?

Old 01-22-2016, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 636 times
Default From the customer's point of view..

It may be too late to be helpful to the original inquiry, but I'm a Hilo resident hunting for a good, reliable handyman with multiple abilities. In my experience it is true that there are lots of handymen out there but most of them are a waste of time and money. They often will schedule a time to do a job after coming to look at and giving an estimate, then not show up or call to cancel OR reschedule. Why?
The good ones are busy! And get work by word of mouth/the coconut wireless. I'm a good customer willing to pay well too! If you're looking to work part time and you're good, in time you can establish yourself here.
Also, forget Oahu, much higher cost of living. The big problem on the Big Island is access to health care...

Old 01-22-2016, 10:27 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
I use handypersons all the time and pay at least $45/hour here in Kona. I don't doubt you could quickly have a pretty successful business here just with realtors alone. When we find someone trustworthy and reliable they are gold to us.

Now, that said are you aware of the limitations on a handyman here? No jobs over $1000 or you have to be a licensed contractor. Nothing that requires a licensed contractor such as some plumbing and electrical work, and of course any carpentry that deals with structural issues. Of course you need a GE license and liability insurance, and submit a W9 to anyone who uses your services.

If you have several month's worth of savings for living expenses, moving expenses, new vehicle (ship your tools and your truck), housing, insurance etc go for it. Have a Plan B and an exit strategy before you buy that plane ticket.

You will also have to buy health insurance which will be very expensive here. Hopefully you do not have any serious medical concerns because for the most part, medical care here is practically 3rd world.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:30 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I wonder how much of the poor ranking is from Hawaii's required employer health care provisions? We've had those in place forever while the rest of the country is playing catch up now. Will the rankings change once that effect is leveled?
It's due to high taxes and extremely high commercial rental costs. And if you're self employed, no one is required to provide you with health insurance but if you have employees, you betcha that's a zinger. My employer pays the first $500 and I pay over $350 on top of that for my health coverage. That's almost $775/mo. for ONE PERSON no dependents.

GE tax is also a reason - services are often not taxable because they do not provide a tangible product but here everything from your doctor's exam to notary public services have to add on that damn 4.166%.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,454 times
Talking about the Kona side of the Big Island: $30 an hour and be good in what you do. And reliable. And friendly. And patient till you get a few absentee home and condo owners lined up.

Learn to deal with non-permitted buildings and get familiar with our specific building codes. Much work will be off the books and on cash base. Be discreet. Offer free consultations to realtors.

My 5 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii