Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM

69 posts, read 268,787 times

Advertisements

Do you think it would be best to contact a realtor to assist me to find a condo to live?

Also, would anyone pick a place to live without having seen it in person? Is that crazy? Based on pictures there is somewhere I really like.... but would be too difficult to do without seeing it, right?

I guess my fear is once I get there and have the 3-4 weeks to look (my company pays for a hotel) that there will be nothing fitting my criteria.

My criteria is:
Condo on a floor between 8-15. I want a view but don't want to be too high.
Prefer unit to have own washer and dryer.
Under $1800 (prefer more $1200-1600 range)
Commute to Kunia by 8AM maybe sooner, so looking in Honolulu, Pearl City, or Aiea
1 bedroom
Parking stall
Unfurnished or partially furnished (I have my own bed )

Last edited by relocater2HI78; 02-09-2012 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocater2HI78 View Post
Do you think it would be best to contact a realtor to assist me to find a condo to live?
I don't think realtors here in Hawaii deal with rentals - I could be wrong.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
In three or four weeks while your new employer foots the hotel bill, you'll be able to find a lovely place. One which fits everything you will find out once you get on island, too.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM

69 posts, read 268,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
In three or four weeks while your new employer foots the hotel bill, you'll be able to find a lovely place. One which fits everything you will find out once you get on island, too.

Thanks!

I was also hoping to find a place before my stuff arrives to avoid the storage... if possible of course.

Now I have to decide if I want a Lanai or not... Here where I live half the year it rains or is cold so I don't care...

Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The place you will be able to find when you are on island and able to go look at it will be so much better than one found without seeing it that it's worth the possibility of paying for several weeks' worth of storage, IMHO.

It's gonna take a couple weeks for your stuff to migrate, so if you have a list of the condos you are considering, you'll be able to go view them as soon as you land. Then you'll be able to see how they fit into the paths you'll be making on the island and you'll get a place that will suit your new lifestyle.

How long will the shipping company hold your stuff and how much would it cost? Self-storage units aren't that expensive, are they? I mean, if you had to store your stuff, how much would it cost and how much of a hassle would it be? Then you'll be able to figure out how important getting a spot right away would be.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I was also hoping to find a place before my stuff arrives to avoid the storage... if possible of course.

Now I have to decide if I want a Lanai or not... Here where I live half the year it rains or is cold so I don't care...
I can't imagine not having a lanai - just got off of mine, sunset with a glass of wine. In shorts - a perfect 70 degrees (although, that's kinda of chilly lately)

With no pets, finding an apartment shouldn't be that difficult.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Plenty of realtors "deal with rentals". We called property management companies.

Do not ever rent anything sight unseen.

Check the local paper, realtor websites, google "property management in Oahu" etc.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 AM

137 posts, read 352,199 times
Just go on Craigslist Honolulu in the Apts section. That's where most people find rental units, I believe. One rule though, only communicate by telephone.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Quote:

Also, would anyone pick a place to live without having seen it in person? Is that crazy? Based on pictures there is somewhere I really like.... but would be too difficult to do without seeing it, right?

I guess my fear is once I get there and have the 3-4 weeks to look (my company pays for a hotel) that there will be nothing fitting my criteria.

My criteria is:
Condo on a floor between 8-15. I want a view but don't want to be too high.
Prefer unit to have own washer and dryer.
Under $1800 (prefer more $1200-1600 range)
Commute to Kunia by 8AM maybe sooner, so looking in Honolulu, Pearl City, or Aiea
1 bedroom
Parking stall
Unfurnished or partially furnished (I have my own bed )
I'm a Realtor and was one on island. I am no longer there, but do know several very ethical and reliable Agents. If you want, PM me and I'll pass along their contact info. And yes, both Property Management Companies and Realtors not associated with PM Companies can assist you.
I've done the getting properties that I've seen only via pictures on the internet, but I was familiar with the area and had a friend go by and take a look. It worked out for me, but, it is not the best policy - you really should see it for yourself.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
I too have a couple property mgmt companies I can PM you if interested.

When I found the place we are in now it was from 2 weeks of craigslist "watching". Before the showing of the place I downloaded their forms and had the check in hand. Good thing, there were 3 other couples there also viewing the place. Because we have pets, the competition is much higher than regular places. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii