Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times

Advertisements

Oh here's something I wish I had known... Car registration doesn't last a year, it lasts 11 months. The safety inspection lasts a year though. I was overdue on my registration but thankfully I didn't get a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
The registration thing is a new one on me. I thought if it expired on say December 31, and you renewed by December 31, it was then good until the end of the following December. Is that twelve months? Guess not, what would I know, been here almost 2 months now.. Maybe I'll make it two years, or 24 months, or would that be 23 months?

It's SOOOOO confusing

Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
I registered my Jeep in April and it expired the next March. So technically if you register on the 1st of the month, I guess you get 12 months...

Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I registered my Jeep in April and it expired the next March. So technically if you register on the 1st of the month, I guess you get 12 months...
But that's only the first year. After that renewals are 12 months.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 11,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I wish I had known how expensive it is working for local government here... Between union dues, health insurance, pension.
Ugh, can't believe the union dues keep increasing each year while jobs are being furloughed with pay cuts.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM

124 posts, read 431,892 times
I wish I had known how much of a small town Hawai'i..even densely populated Oahu...is compared to the mainland. It is all about relationships: family, school, church, clubs, evenings playing b-ball at the local park with the rest of the old, shaky kneed men, fishing, or any possible combination of the preceeding. I seem to constantly see the same folks, although I don't know who are or their pedigree. I'm careful to watch what I say and how my behavior may reflect on those with whom I associate. It is not about the individual. It is about
your relationship as an individual with the group.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammasubi View Post
It is about
Yes, ohana... the extended family... is more important in Hawai'i than anywhere else I can think of.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 AM

270 posts, read 506,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammasubi View Post
I wish I had known how much of a small town Hawai'i..even densely populated Oahu...is compared to the mainland. It is all about relationships: family, school, church, clubs, evenings playing b-ball at the local park with the rest of the old, shaky kneed men, fishing, or any possible combination of the preceeding. I seem to constantly see the same folks, although I don't know who are or their pedigree. I'm careful to watch what I say and how my behavior may reflect on those with whom I associate. It is not about the individual. It is about

Southern small town mentality.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 AM

29 posts, read 75,456 times
Are systems analyst's jobs a lot there I see some in state gov but are they hard to get in. I have over 10 yrs exp here working as a senior programmer analyst 4 with the state. I wonder what are my chances. Background is like everyone else... MBA background and undergrad with dual Finance and Mgt Sci. suggestions?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM

257 posts, read 491,591 times
I see alot of people with quadriple masters degrees asking about jobs. With that kind of education, aren't you able to secure a good job on "mainland" that you are able to work from "remotely"? or demand that you work "remotely"? and just move to hawaii as home base?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii