Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people don't do enough research and ask enough questions before packing up and moving to Hawai'i. They also don't know what they really want and move anyways. Maybe there is no other way to find out what you really want unless you actually make the move. If so, how about sitting aside 50% of your savings just incase you find out that living in Hawai'i is not for you? That way, at least you will have something to get you going again where ever you choose to go next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
I wish I had known how expensive it is working for local government here... Between union dues, health insurance, pension.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,115,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I think a lot of people don't do enough research and ask enough questions before packing up and moving to Hawai'i. They also don't know what they really want and move anyways. Maybe there is no other way to find out what you really want unless you actually make the move. If so, how about sitting aside 50% of your savings just incase you find out that living in Hawai'i is not for you? That way, at least you will have something to get you going again where ever you choose to go next.
Sometimes, you have to make a trial run.

My mom wanted to move back to Hawaii. We had lived there for 3 years in the early '70s, and all of us missed it. Her husband stayed in New Mexico while she ventured over to Hawaii, to see if she could make a go of it. She spent a few months working on the Big Island, but she was unable to convince her husband that Hawaii would be a good idea, so she returned to New Mexico. I know she would love to go back to Hawaii.

Although I've thought of returning to live in Hawaii, there are a few reasons that I haven't. One is financial; I don't know that I could make a good living there, financially.

Another is isolation. I have family state-side, and I also want to visit my nation's heritage. When I flew back to Hawaii for a visit a few years ago, it impressed on me just how isolated the islands are. It took half a day in the air just to get there from California, never mind the wait at the airports and the commute to those airports.

Many of the things that I take for granted state-side are non-existent in Hawaii. I noticed that even as a little boy of 6 years of age. I wanted to grow a garden, but the things I wanted to grow did not necessarily belong in Hawaii.

I think that living in Hawaii requires more commitment than living in most other places in the U.S. The islands are so beautiful, but living that is a significant commitment.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
The biggest advice to give anyone wanting to move to Hawaii?

Bring money. Bring lots of money.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
So many people mention the high cost of living and I agree. Whenever I go mainland, I cannot get over the cost of things- groceries, utilities and gas is SO much cheaper and it really adds up.

My grandmother lives in AZ and her electric bill for her 3 bedroom house in the summer is about $40 cheaper for the studio that my boyfriend and I live in without AC. We also work whereas my grandmother is pretty much home 24/7.

Sometimes shipping can be a PITA too...free shipping may exclude HI or shipping costs may be a lot higher to HI.

I also never realized how horrible leather purses hold up in the hawaiian humidity!!!

i personally love all the quirks in hawaii but there can be a lot of culture shock for sure..

Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
My grandmother lives in AZ and her electric bill for her 3 bedroom house in the summer is about $40 cheaper for the studio that my boyfriend and I live in without AC. We also work whereas my grandmother is pretty much home 24/7.
Yes, this is a biggie. According to a news report last week, the cost of electricity in Hawai'i is 2 1/2 times the national average.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:21 PM

270 posts, read 506,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, this is a biggie. According to a news report last week, the cost of electricity in Hawai'i is 2 1/2 times the national average.

Many places use oil fuels for making electricity and shipping adds to the expense of that use. As examples, in S.C. the kwh cost for the first 600 kwh is @ $0.11 (rounded up) per kwh and in Hawaii (Oahu) last look, was $0. 34 per kwh, or triple. Same conversion cost applies in the US Virgin Islands, almost the same as Hawaii. Most potable water is collected in cisterns and/or direct purchase from water trucks at high cost. WAPA utility (water and power) may also go out during any significant storm(s) and a backup generator is commonplace if you desire power as a backup. Like Hawaii, any islands have higher common costs for consumer items due to shipping and lesser quantities deplete amounts rapidly on specific items. Choices are not always there, so much semi hoarding occurs for routine items that MAY be out of store stocks. Clearly, islands are what they are, separate land areas that are sustained via shipping. If land exists, some local produce may be available and /or livestock. Hawaiian beef for example, may be purchased. Items on islands frequented by tourists are in competition with local residents purchase, due to simply economics, as resorts and hotels etc buy and sell to tourist driven dollars, and raises prices overall. Not a criticism, just fact. Adding shipping costs makes it higher inherently.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:09 PM

431 posts, read 940,037 times
Honestly, I don't subscribe to delusional thinking. I truly took to heart the advice on forums and the advice of friends who lived (and thrived) in Hawaii, in addition to those who had answered their "Hawaii is calling me!" beckonings and had ended up tossing Hawaii and returning to the mainland.
I didn't don rose-colored glasses and fully accepted the "you're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy" admonishments.
And I accepted that moving here is a trade-off.
What anyone moving here has to decide is if the trade-offs are worth it the them, personally. That's really all that matters.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,486 times
Our July 2011 power bill(in CT) if we used the same in Hawaii(Oahu) would have been $1000.00+ guess I'll have to go back to my off the grid skills.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
The acceptance of the status quo.

No one gets upset that the schools suck, the politicians & cops are (mostly) corrupt. The only place the state spends any money to maintain is Waikiki. Most parks look like abandoned lots. No equipment, dead grass, no bathrooms etc. School kids have to pay to ride a bus to school. Where does all the tax money that Hawaii extorts from the hapless tourists go?

There just seems to be a passive acceptance that these things happen and we just have to deal with it, instead of trying to change or improve things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii