Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
<SNIP> But even someone who came 10-15 years ago is going to have half the mortgage cost of your rent. <SNIP>
Until this current downturn, it was roughly a seven year peak to peak on the housing market. It would be at one level, just about double in price, then go down to about ten to fifteen percent above where it started and then do it all over again. It would start going up on Oahu first and finally make it all the way out to the edges of the outer islands. Then when it started going down, it would start out at the outer edges of the outer islands and work it's way back in to Oahu again. Kinda like big slow ripples on a pond. It had been consistent, but this last downturn hasn't followed the pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 AM

270 posts, read 506,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Where's whtviper1 when I need him/her?!!!

That would be different for each person or family. But what I think people need to do before they move to Hawai'i or anyplace, is do the research to find out the real costs of living there. Then see if your income after taxes and insurance, will cover those costs. Also, don't forget to include any debt you currently have as well as be able to set some aside for things like retirement and a rainy day fund. I also think that when a person makes such a huge move, that no mater how much research you do, things will pop up that you did not know about. For this reason I think it would be good to figure out how much it would cost for you to go back home or move somewhere else and get established. Have that much saved up and set aside untouched, incase you need it.

These are just my opinions and the way I choose to live my life. Clearly this is not going to be right for everyone. However, if you do not do these things before making such a big move, should you really complain about how things turn out?
One place to determine cost comparison data is :
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Be sure to read over the site and use offered match criteria for specific cities too; housing etc. It also has population breakouts and much more.

Electrical---http://www.hawaii247.com/2012/02/13/hawaiian-electric-industries-earns-138-2m-in-2011/
http://sunetric.com/blog/post/electr...and-up-and-up/

Electric rates pull back slightly in January after setting record

Despite a 2.5-cent decline from December, HECO warns that high fuel prices will prevent a continual drop
By Alan Yonan Jr.

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jan 11, 2012

Residential electric rates fell on Oahu in January for the first time in four months, but Hawaiian Electric Co. cautioned customers that high fuel prices will keep upward pressure on electric rates in the near term.
The residential rate charged by HECO fell to 32.6 cents per kilowatt-hour from a record-high 35.1 cents per kilowatt-hour in December. That translates into a drop to $204.17 from $219.03 in the typical bill for customers using 600 kilowatt-hours of electricity a month. LIGHTER LOAD Hawaiian Electric's residential rates fell in January after rising for three consecutive months: Month Typical bill* Rate per kilowatt hour October $207.40 33.1 cents November $215.81 34.6 cents December $219.03 35.1 cents January $204.17 32.6 cents *Household using 600 kilowatt-hours a month.

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 04:47 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
just check my SoCal Edison electric bill for the past 12 months, the highest was aug at 300 kwh where we had to use a few weeks of ac. so at .34, that would put me at around $100. does HI use a tier system? my past two months were only at 170 kwh or so. Just trying to imagine what my ele. bill would be , that's all.
Electric rates pull back slightly in January after setting record

Despite a 2.5-cent decline from December, HECO warns that high fuel prices will prevent a continual drop
By Alan Yonan Jr.

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jan 11, 2012

Residential electric rates fell on Oahu in January for the first time in four months, but Hawaiian Electric Co. cautioned customers that high fuel prices will keep upward pressure on electric rates in the near term.
The residential rate charged by HECO fell to 32.6 cents per kilowatt-hour from a record-high 35.1 cents per kilowatt-hour in December. That translates into a drop to $204.17 from $219.03 in the typical bill for customers using 600 kilowatt-hours of electricity a month. LIGHTER LOAD Hawaiian Electric's residential rates fell in January after rising for three consecutive months: Month Typical bill* Rate per kilowatt hour October $207.40 33.1 cents November $215.81 34.6 cents December $219.03 35.1 cents January $204.17 32.6 cents *Household using 600 kilowatt-hours a month

Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
just check my SoCal Edison electric bill for the past 12 months, the highest was aug at 300 kwh where we had to use a few weeks of ac. so at .34, that would put me at around $100. does HI use a tier system? my past two months were only at 170 kwh or so. Just trying to imagine what my ele. bill would be , that's all.
I suggest you use .45 instead for your calculations. It's closer to what your actual bill will be once all the extra charges are added.

There are several factors which can greatly effect your electric use. First, there is no natural gas in Hawai'i, and propane is expensive and requires a tank, etc. so for convenience a lot of people wind up using electric water heaters, clothes dryer, heat, and stove, all of which are heavy power users. Second, many Hawaiian homes require pumps for water pressure. Third, it gets dark earlier, therefore lights are on longer. Fourth, although many Hawaiians forego AC, almost everyone has fans running much of the time.

All of these factors are open to conservation efforts, of course. Energy star rated appliances help, as does being conscious of things like running full loads, etc. From an energy standpoint, don't even consider a refrigerator more than 7 years old. Replace incandescent bulbs with CFLs, or better yet, LEDs, and turn off what you are not actually using. Lifestyle affects your bill a lot!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM

176 posts, read 234,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

There are several factors which can greatly effect your electric use. First, there is no natural gas in Hawai'i, and propane is expensive and requires a tank, etc. so for convenience a lot of people wind up using electric water heaters, clothes dryer, heat, and stove, all of which are heavy power users. Second, many Hawaiian homes require pumps for water pressure. Third, it gets dark earlier, therefore lights are on longer. Fourth, although many Hawaiians forego AC, almost everyone has fans running much of the time.
as for stove - how much is a tank of propane in HI? here in LA, I think it's around $25 for 20 lb?

we've a gas dryer but hang dry most of the time.

ele water heater - haven't used those yet. I assume it's on-demand. you turn on the heater a few min. before u use the hot water.

heater - we've gas heater but never use it. can't stand the dry heat. we just put on our sweaters or turn on the ele. heater for a couple hrs when we go to bed. But my sister runs her gas heater most of the time and wears a t-shirt,

Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I suggest you use .45 instead for your calculations. It's closer to what your actual bill will be once all the extra charges are added.

All of these factors are open to conservation efforts, of course. Energy star rated appliances help, as does being conscious of things like running full loads, etc. From an energy standpoint, don't even consider a refrigerator more than 7 years old. Replace incandescent bulbs with CFLs, or better yet, LEDs, and turn off what you are not actually using. Lifestyle affects your bill a lot!

One suggestion to those with children and saving electricity at night. Buy "night vision goggles" and turn off all interior/exterior lighting. Paint the foreheads of all kids with thermal imaging paint and teach them how to grow mushrooms. It is eco friendly, cheap, and keeps them busy. Hey. it may help pay for those "night vision googles" too !!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM

176 posts, read 234,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
One suggestion to those with children and saving electricity at night. Buy "night vision goggles" and turn off all interior/exterior lighting. Paint the foreheads of all kids with thermal imaging paint and teach them how to grow mushrooms. It is eco friendly, cheap, and keeps them busy. Hey. it may help pay for those "night vision googles" too !!
night vision goggles ?! where's the ROI on those. you'd be lucky to break even. Let me suggest the all new innovative, UL-approved, NASA-tested Personal Illumination Device(PID). The illumination follows whereever you go by using sophisticated GPS, consumes very little resources(two AA will last 1000 hr), generates very little carbon footprint, super eco-friendly. It's on sale now at Harbor Freight for $2.99. Just look under Head Lamp.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
as for stove - how much is a tank of propane in HI? here in LA, I think it's around $25 for 20 lb?

we've a gas dryer but hang dry most of the time.

ele water heater - haven't used those yet. I assume it's on-demand. you turn on the heater a few min. before u use the hot water.

heater - we've gas heater but never use it. can't stand the dry heat. we just put on our sweaters or turn on the ele. heater for a couple hrs when we go to bed. But my sister runs her gas heater most of the time and wears a t-shirt,
OK, I think you've got a good start on it. Yeah, a small tank is about $25, but I was thinking about large tank prices, where there is a big differential. And instant-on tankless water heaters are catching on.

Clothes drying can be problematic. Because the humidity is high you often can't get clothes really dry, and then they mildew.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
winkosmosis, I would guess that the people you are seeing are locals, and they are living with family. But even someone who came 10-15 years ago is going to have half the mortgage cost of your rent.
I don't think that's possible. My rent is $850. BTW rents have gone way up over the past year with tourism picking up. Now, single rooms are $600-700!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Where's whtviper1 when I need him/her?!!!

That would be different for each person or family. But what I think people need to do before they move to Hawai'i or anyplace, is do the research to find out the real costs of living there. Then see if your income after taxes and insurance, will cover those costs. Also, don't forget to include any debt you currently have as well as be able to set some aside for things like retirement and a rainy day fund. I also think that when a person makes such a huge move, that no mater how much research you do, things will pop up that you did not know about. For this reason I think it would be good to figure out how much it would cost for you to go back home or move somewhere else and get established. Have that much saved up and set aside untouched, incase you need it.

These are just my opinions and the way I choose to live my life. Clearly this is not going to be right for everyone. However, if you do not do these things before making such a big move, should you really complain about how things turn out?
I'm in Vegas at the HIMMS conference in the land of cheap goods and services - already loaded an extra 2 suitcases of clothes, shoes, and everything but the kitchen sink to take back home Sunday. (And it's a him).

Back to the question - what type of salary - what should a good job pay in Hawaii. Obviously, there are a lot of dynamics to that.

Obviously Wink and his sub $40K salary isn't enough - we've all read the trapped in Maui posts.

Every situation is different - but I can't suggest a single person come to Oahu with less than a $50K salary - many posters have chimed in that wasn't enough for them (a federal worker recently chimed in he didn't find his $65K enough). Most, not all mainland transplants will still find that $50K doesn't go far - they will likely have to downsize their living situation, sometime quite a lot. And just because milk is expensive in Tuscon doesn't make it comparable to Hawaii - it is the total cost of living that really adds up.

A couple should really plan on $80K in income - have kids, it goes up from there. With kids, you'll be shocked at monthly living expenses for an apt or home.

Obviously people in Hawaii do and can live on less - but they grew up here and it is a different situation. And, some move here from the mainland and make less and make it - I just see that as the minority.

I think the hardest thing for people who move isn't so much the prices of goods and services - you expect that. It is making 20-50% less for a comparable job from the mainland to Hawaii. Programmers who make $90K in the San Francisco bay area will make $50K here - that's a huge cut with the increase of other day to day items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii