Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
I see alot of people with quadriple masters degrees asking about jobs. With that kind of education, aren't you able to secure a good job on "mainland" that you are able to work from "remotely"? or demand that you work "remotely"? and just move to hawaii as home base?
Most remote jobs still require some measure of face time. I once worked for a company that was a pioneer in remote work, and an industry leader because it was able to recruit the "best of the best" by allowing them to live wherever they wanted to live. And they had cutting edge technology for virtual meetings, etc. But they still had to foster relationships between people who would work together on teams. Through experimentation they decided the minimum requirement for work in the office was 3 days a month. Otherwise people just got out of touch. And we all came together 4 times a year for company-wide meetings.

It was an ideal working atmosphere, and the company was phenomenally successful. I might still be with them if they had not been acquired by a much bigger company, flush with IPO bucks, which subsequently did a big belly flop.

Anyway, subsequent remote work for other companies showed that the old maxim "out of sight, out of mind" applies to remote workers over time unless they are outstanding producers. And that's why I think the average company is skeptical about having employees work as remotely as Hawai'i (or Alaska) unless they were also providing some local value as well.

Or in short, there aren't a lot of those opportunities around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 02:44 AM

236 posts, read 648,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
winkosmosis, I would guess that the people you are seeing are locals, and they are living with family. But even someone who came 10-15 years ago is going to have half the mortgage cost of your rent. Or the new arrivals live as roommates when single, or if in a couple with their own place, they have 2 incomes. Given the cost of housing, a single living in his own appartment is somewhat of a luxury in Hawaii--maybe that's the thing you wish you'd known.

BTW, most people consider student loans to be debt, and I would never consider a retirement plan to be available money--too many fees and hassle to get it out.

Hope you're still hanging in there, however.

I can easily see someone living in a group house with friends paying relatively little for rent, and saving on food costs with group-cooking, etc. Living with family is even cheaper, and probably very common there.

Agreed on student loan debt. We rack up too much of that on the mainland too, instead of going to community colleges for two years, living with our folks, working during school, living in group houses, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii