Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:26 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingpattaya View Post
Does anyone else have any stories where some people just can't figure out that hawaii is part of America?
I have tons, it has been 2 years since I moved home and my grandma still asks me how it feels to be back in the states. When I lived there people would ask if they needed a passport to come visit. I think a lot of folks assume it is still a territory like Puerto Rico or something. Of course, that is not terribly unreasonable (4th grade geography aside) given the way it is marketed... you don't see wheel of fortune saying "you won a trip to Texas or California", they will say Austin or San Diego. But when you win a trip to Hawaii it is just a trip to Hawaii (not even "the State of Hawaii") just Hawaii, maybe they specify the island it is typically referred to as its own entity.

... but I also have tons stories about people in Hawaii referring to the rest of the U.S. very ambiguously as the "mainland" and describing it essentially as homogeneous, racist, cold, and full of haoles. I get phone calls from my in laws when it snows in Massachusetts to see if we are OK (in Virginia 600 miles south) because the Star-Advertiser feels the need to post the worst weather in all of the continental United States on their front page each day as some sort of propaganda tool (my best guess). Case in point:

Tornado hits Kansas; state of emergency declared - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

They might as well have a section dedicated to "Bad Mainland Weather today" LOL.

So my point is that I think it goes both ways. Locals view themselves as unique and separate from "mainland people" and most Americans think of Hawaii as an abstract tropical paradise out in the ocean somewhere. Plus there is the whole sovereignty movement or Akaka Bill thing where many in the state actually DO want to be a separate entity (or at least have a separate representative government). But that is a different thread all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
When I was moving to Hawaii, I had several of my friends in Florida ask if I had my passport.

It's a shame that Hawaiian history or at least the history of Hawaii becoming a state is not taught in mainland schools. I engulfed myself in learning as much Hawaiian history and culture as possible while I was there - I remember being angry that I had never been taught at least the generalities in school. History class stresses so much but blatently leaves out the parts about Hawaii.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Even when people know Hawai'i is part of the US, they still refer to the mainland as "the states."

I think it is somewhat understandable. I mean, who wants to go around saying "the contiguous 48"?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
My brother in-law from Oregon stated that living in Hawaii is like living in another country.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Hawaii was the first country that the US overthrew the government Iraq being the latest. Amazon.com: Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq (9780805082401): Stephen Kinzer: Books

Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Does anyone else have any stories where some people just can't figure out that hawaii is part of America?
At one time or another, many of the chambers of commerce in Hawaiʻi had "municipal dollar coins" available for sale. Several of the local stores would accept them as payment and occasionally, some tourist would think that they had to convert their "foreign" U.S. dollars to one of the local "municipal dollars."

Here's how the Hilo and Kona "dollars" looked...

Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 PM

124 posts, read 333,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
While somewhat funny it is not difficult to understand what the woman was trying to ask.
Everyone understood what she was trying to ask. People laughed because she had been talking about how it was her first time to go to Hawaii and how she was excited and such. Not sure but it came off as it might have been her first time to get out of the mainland US.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Quote:
The guy I sit next next to at work is planning visiting Hawaii this summer. Yesterday he told me he was going to bring me some Cuban cigars if he makes it past customs. I could only wish him the best of luck in finding them and sneeking them past customs. Does anyone else have any stories where some people just can't figure out that hawaii is part of America?
Actually, Hawaii ISN"T part of America. That's the big continent over there which consists of the North American and South American continents connected together. We are (at least technically) part of the United States (of America). But Hawaii is it's own separate self and will probably eventually become so again, although it will probably not be any time soon. "Soon" being within several hundred years, at least, IMHO. Political boundaries change all the time. Kamehameha consolidated the islands, they have been annexed by the United States for awhile. Eventually they will have a different political attribute, everything changes if you wait long enough.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Eventually they will have a different political attribute, everything changes if you wait long enough.
Not to mention, there's a new island forming SouthEast of the Big Island.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 PM

41 posts, read 109,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Actually, Hawaii ISN"T part of America. That's the big continent over there which consists of the North American and South American continents connected together. We are (at least technically) part of the United States (of America). But Hawaii is it's own separate self and will probably eventually become so again, although it will probably not be any time soon. "Soon" being within several hundred years, at least, IMHO. Political boundaries change all the time. Kamehameha consolidated the islands, they have been annexed by the United States for awhile. Eventually they will have a different political attribute, everything changes if you wait long enough.
Geographically you are correct. However, I will argue that politically it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii