Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

Most likely, it is fishermen who think that they own the fish and don't want seals eating "their" fish.

I wouldn't have a problem with seals on my boat or in my backyard. A small amount of effort will fence them out. Wildlife can be managed without killing it.

Seals are good for tourism. People come to see them and spend money at local businesses.

If an individual seal is a problem animal, it is possible to get a special permit to remove it. It has to be doing something worse that eating "your" fish.

As far as I can tell, the seals in Hawaii aren't bothering anyone except for Robin Rossi and half a dozen fishermen who think they own everything in the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 PM

189 posts, read 282,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Would you like a bunch of Seals on YOUR boat, crapping it up, tearing it up and there is NOTHING, I say again, and listen real hard, NOTHING you can do to get them off..
Uh, you guys, I'm pretty sure we have our answer now.

(kidding RR )

Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Most likely, it is fishermen who think that they own the fish and don't want seals eating "their" fish.

I wouldn't have a problem with seals on my boat or in my backyard. A small amount of effort will fence them out. Wildlife can be managed without killing it.

Seals are good for tourism. People come to see them and spend money at local businesses.

If an individual seal is a problem animal, it is possible to get a special permit to remove it. It has to be doing something worse that eating "your" fish.

As far as I can tell, the seals in Hawaii aren't bothering anyone except for Robin Rossi and half a dozen fishermen who think they own everything in the ocean.
I am explaining why they probably are being killed. Because people perceive them as a threat to their properlty rights.

Only a fool wouldn't have a a problem with a seal on his boat, because by the time they are done with it, it will be wrecked inside and out, full of crap, and possibly sunk from the weight of the seals.

The Seals aren't bothering me in the least.

You try and get a special permit from the Feds. Good luck. And the ONLY one who said ANYTHING about fish is YOU.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 06-14-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
Uh, you guys, I'm pretty sure we have our answer now.

(kidding RR )
And what is that answer???

Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 PM

I say let's check your freezer. I'm pretty sure I can taste the difference between beef and seal my brother

Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I say let's check your freezer. I'm pretty sure I can taste the difference between beef and seal my brother
Seal, Whale, Porpoise - it's all GOOD EATS!!!!!!! (just kidding).

For me - scallops, shrimp, King Crab and Y/B/LFT. I think OWS is into Tuna-Safe Porpoise. Spinners in a pinch.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Seal, Whale, Porpoise - it's all GOOD EATS!!!!!!!
uh, we call it "ono grindz", my friend.

Quote:
For me - scallops, shrimp, King Crab and Y/B/LFT. I think OWS is into Tuna-Safe Porpoise. Spinners in a pinch.
In Florida (and many other places as well), they eat a fish called 'dolphin' (really just Mahi mahi or C.hipparus), we used to have much fun freaking out our little nephews and cousins saying "you guys are eating Flipper!"

Though this may not be thrust of the OPs point, I don't think there's really any real answer for this other than drunk or angry fisherman, drunk or severely angry people in general, or stupid kids. Sad reality of life, but not everyone believes in conservation. As RR points out, perspectives can be really different, especially with this kind of situation.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
uh, we call it "ono grindz", my friend.

In Florida (and many other places as well), they eat a fish called 'dolphin' (really just Mahi mahi or C.hipparus), we used to have much fun freaking out our little nephews and cousins saying "you guys are eating Flipper!"

Though this may not be thrust of the OPs point, I don't think there's really any real answer for this other than drunk or angry fisherman, drunk or severely angry people in general, or stupid kids. Sad reality of life, but not everyone believes in conservation. As RR points out, perspectives can be really different, especially with this kind of situation.
Ono also means "Wahoo", one of the finest eating and potentially-dangerous fish around (except sharks).

Dis is ono Ono.

Score some Grindz, Grind Out,

In Mexico and CA, they call MahiMahi, Dorado or dodo's. We were fishing for them off of a Mexican BFT pen, and you threw a bait in the water and you would see a whole school of fish race for it a foot or so below the surface. Every cast was a fish, if you could get it in past all the other zinging lines and the aerobatics. Once you get a big one on deck, stand back - waaaay back, until a deckie puts it to "sleep".

As the number of seals inicrease, you may get reports of surfers being attacked by "dogs". They have serious teeth.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
As the number of seals inicrease, you may get reports of surfers being attacked by "dogs". They have serious teeth.
Welp, send the seals up to Waianae first, and see if they don't quickly beat a retreat back to Moloka'i - "Yo, dis kine hairy kane try fo' steal my wave!"

You do know why they call that area "Nanakuli", right?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
He aha kou pilikia? A'ole wai? WIKIWIKI,,,, NANA KA KULI!!!!!

Do some research on the monk seals over here, has nothing what so ever to do with seals in California. Totally different scenario, totally different situation, and indicative of a larger problem in Hawaii. But some people just wouldn't grasp that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii