Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:31 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
It's the law.

If it rubs you or me the wrong way or not. The US version of freedom comes at a price, and one of them is that endangered species of this nation have a rank above the property rights of individual owners or enterprises.
I am 100% with you on this.

That is why I emailed a friend of mine in the Sierra Club, I am also going to discuss this with a well-known conservationist to see what can be done to ratchet down the protections. Hell, if one of my earless- friends wants to set up camp on Waikiki, well sorry folks, its HIS or HER beach unless or until he or she splits. If he or she frequents a particular locale, well, we have to give serious thought to indefinite closures.

You are absolutely right, the seals are far more important the property rights of a few Hawaiians, most of who are not natives anyway - mostly just haoles from the mainland who learned "aloha", "Mahalo", "Pu Pu and, perhaps, "wiki wiki", bought a pair of Churchill's and a board, and think they are islanders. And besides, everyone else is a transplant as well, even the Polynesian types who are relatively recent arrivals themselves.

I gave it some serious thought this afternoon while working in the "vineyard". Heck, since we got the butterflies protected, and the MLPA's instituted, I've been looking for my next conservationist issue to take up. Perhaps I can get some face-time with some state-officials as well after my annual World Cup tourney this July.

As far as I see, it's Five-Monk hand, and I am going All In.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 06-16-2013 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 PM

206 posts, read 466,229 times
The misinformation in this thread highlights just how stupid and reactionary those who murder monk seals are. The words of the Robinsons are truly sickening. Globally people insist on their "right" to overfish and soon there will be none left for them to kill. People can creatively make changes in their communities and their lives to make living with the environment and positive environmental regulations work better for them. But thinking there will never be any sacrifices to living sustainably is a joke.

Last edited by Vaedrem; 06-16-2013 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
The misinformation in this thread highlights just how stupid and reactionary those who murder monk seals are. The words of the Robinsons are truly sickening. Globally people insist on their "right" to overfish and soon there will be none left for them to kill.
Once again I am in complete agreement

Trawlers that will wrap the last 50,000 Tons of Tuna, Bottom nets wreaking havoc with the bottom. Gulf shrimpers killing turtles (before TEDs), /There has to be balance, and I am doing something to bring things back to balance.. But when it comes time to put up money, don't shy away., when they close the beach, don't complain. It's the only way.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 06-16-2013 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 08:09 PM

189 posts, read 282,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
As far as I see, it's Five-Monk hand, and I am going All In.
I love the image of you and like, 6 monk seals at a downtown Hono board room. Of course, the monk seals in this image are all wearing cute little suits and hats and possibly one is smoking a cigar.

Robin vs Monk Seals... round one. Who's got the spread?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
I love the image of you and like, 6 monk seals at a downtown Hono board room. Of course, the monk seals in this image are all wearing cute little suits and hats and possibly one is smoking a cigar.

Slight pilikia there, someone's not playing with a full deck, and it ain't the Monks

Old 06-16-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post

Would that be mayonnaise or Tartar sauce.

And

Who is the 6th Monk? Perhaps Friar Jungjohann!!!!!

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 06-16-2013 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Slight pilikia there, someone's not playing with a full deck, and it ain't the Monks

Slight to partly non-existent.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Hell, if one of my earless- friends wants to set up camp on Waikiki, well sorry folks, its HIS or HER beach unless or until he or she splits. If he or she frequents a particular locale, well, we have to give serious thought to indefinite closures.
This is simply not true. You have completely run out of creditability.

When a Monk Seal comes up onto the beach, they put up ropes which gives it about a 40 foot circle (just a guess based on what I have seen, not the actual size) so that hopefully it won't be harassed. The beach is still open to the public. That's how I got the picture I posted earlier. I just cropped the ropes out of the picture. When the seal goes back into the water, the ropes go away.

Jeffington, you might want to go back to talking about your future basement on the Big Island.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
This is simply not true. You have completely run out of creditability.

When a Monk Seal comes up onto the beach, they put up ropes which gives it about a 40 foot circle (just a guess based on what I have seen, not the actual size) so that hopefully it won't be harassed. The beach is still open to the public. That's how I got the picture I posted earlier. I just cropped the ropes out of the picture. When the seal goes back into the water, the ropes go away.

Jeffington, you might want to go back to talking about your future basement on the Big Island.
There you go confirming Einstein's theory about insanity again, and again, and again......

The error in your post is you are speaking current and I am speaking future - prospectively. Serious steps need to be taken. Roping in a seal just isn't enough. We need to widen that out to, say 100 yds in both directions.

We are talking about a species nearing the brink of extinction, not some beach-comber curiosity or publicity stunt.

Where is your concern for nature....oh yes, I forgot, you are one of Einstein's case studies.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Rossington, you were further ahead when you were behind. Why not give it a rest. You don't have the slightest clue as to what goes on currently in Hawaii, let alone what might happen down the road. Stick to the political forum where you can 'sling your pap' without sounding like a complete moron. You are rapidly devolving into the Hawaii forums resident, and once banned, troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii