Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,786,874 times

Advertisements

Hula is just a Dance? False Hula is a form of language that was outlawed by the haole missionaries in the 1800, when they took over the islands and politics. Hula is very much a part of the Hawai'ian Culture. Heres some info on the history of hula.

Kuamo'o O'lelo O Ka Hula - The History of Hula - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 AM

337 posts, read 615,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Hula is just a Dance? False Hula is a form of language that was outlawed by the haole missionaries in the 1800, when they took over the islands and politics. Hula is very much a part of the Hawai'ian Culture. Heres some info on the history of hula.

Kuamo'o O'lelo O Ka Hula - The History of Hula - YouTube
Video link is broken.

And wasn't Hula also a form of history lessons? I remember my Kupuna in elementary told me that every Hula told a story or history of something, and its how things got passed down from generation to generation without writing.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
Video link is broken.

And wasn't Hula also a form of history lessons? I remember my Kupuna in elementary told me that every Hula told a story or history of something, and its how things got passed down from generation to generation without writing.
Yes u were right the hula served two purposes. To pass down history, and used as a form of language, almost each hand or movement had a meaning.

Hmmm the link was working a few days ago.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 PM

Another common myth about Hawai'i. That if Hawai'i pasts and culture of the past was any good it would still be here. False, How many(local or any) business do we know who provided great service and a good product(and is a comunitty favorite) but got closed down because its not as profitable or didn't have enough money to compete or reverse, its how many business we know who provide crappy service and not the best products but still in business because they are part of a major corporation?

I think it comes down to what peoples values are. The future of Hawai'i and what will come down to will be based on what values people have.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 PM

Hawai'i isnt a foriegn country true its a state in the Unitted States. But False it could easily be a foriegn country with different customs, languages. Also Hawai'i is prob the only state where whites are the minority.

Does anyone have any false things or misconceptions they want to reveal about Hawai'i.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:30 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
Hawaii is not the only state where caucasions are the minority. I'll let you look that up.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 AM

Hawai'i isnt a foriegn country true its a state in the Unitted States. But False it could easily be a foriegn country with different customs, languages. Also Hawai'i is prob the only state where whites are the minority.

Does anyone have any false things or misconceptions they want to reveal about Hawai'i.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:44 AM

33,021 posts, read 36,588,969 times
Sounds a bit like Louisiana.

Hawai'i isn't the only state where whites are the minority.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Also Hawai'i is prob the only state where whites are the minority.

You keep repeating the same false statement.

New Mexico

California

Texas

Hawaii

Are all states comprised of less than 50% of non-Hispanic whites.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sounds a bit like Louisiana.
According to the US Census, as of 2012, Louisiana is 63.7% White

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You keep repeating the same false statement.

New Mexico

California

Texas

Hawaii

Are all states comprised of less than 50% of non-Hispanic whites.
Ah, but "Hispanic" is not a race, it's an ethnic group, largely comprised of racial Whites. So when we look at all Whites together, we find that the White racial composition of the states mentioned are:

New Mexico 83.2%
California 73.7%
Texas 80.6%

Hawai'i 26.1%

Clearly Hawai'i has a unique racial makeup, just as Hawaiian by Heart said.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii