Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhalualani View Post
*King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread*

My Dad always has to let everyone know, "Stuff should be called Portuguese Sweet Bread!!"

I usually just keep stuffing my face to avoid any sort of confrontation....
That's so funny. Pass me some!!

I was researching shark population in Pearl Harbor before I bought 2 bikes and a kayak to commute to work ANYHOW ... I found out when Pearl Harbor base was being built they found evidence of an underwater arena. The article said the Hawaiians lured a shark in, closed the entrance, and picked a warrior, handed him a shark tooth protruding from a stick which he held in his fist so the tooth stuck out between two fingers. then they tossed him in! Of course, if he killed the shark he got to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
True or False: There is no obake or spirits in Hawai'i.

If that is true? Then why is it to this day that islanders of all races continue to bless their houses and business b4 taking occupancy? Why are ti plants carefully planted around certain places considered sacred or sometimes haunted? Why is the pikal ceremony or ritual sprinkling of Hawai'ian salt, still performed for ppl or places bothered by restless ghosts? Hmm modern non believers use certain words that come to mind to explain such daily behaviors and experiences - "superstitious" "quaint cultural customs" "ignorence" "popular delusions". I felt the same way as the sceptical intil i had a Chicken Skin experience in Hawai'i myself and know differently. What do u think?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
Whole 'nother subject! HOWEVER, the blessing of homes is common in many religions. After all, there is certainly evil in the world. If you believe in angels, then you know 1/3 of them went over to the dark side!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Whole 'nother subject! HOWEVER, the blessing of homes is common in many religions. After all, there is certainly evil in the world. If you believe in angels, then you know 1/3 of them went over to the dark side!
Yup there is a darkside. Its all on subject as long it dispells falseness and falsehoods in history or ideals about Hawai'i.

Ya alot of cultures pratice these rituals. Makes you think sometimes.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 PM

129 posts, read 390,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
The discovery of Hawai'i by Captain Cook. The Spanish (and according to some sources the Dutch as well) had Hawai'i on their maps.
There was a book published in the early seventies, heavily promoted in the islands, called "The Lost Galleon", in which the author lays out evidence that at least one Spanish Galleon landed in the islands. I have not had the opportunity to read the book, but some of the evidence given was that the Spanish had conducted regular trade across the Pacific on a route that passed only a few hundred miles south of Hawaii for some 200 years before the arrival of Cook. The other piece of evidence that I recall (from an interview with the author) was that Cook noted that the Hawaiians seemed to know about metal, in spite of having none in the islands naturally, they really wanted to get as much as they could -- thus the trade of 4 pigs for one nail, and the theft of the blacksmith's forge from Cook's ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Then the contact of Polynesians with the American mainland (American sweet potatoes brought over here; Polynesian skulls in Chile, asian chicken in pre-columbian South America, Inca-like architecture in Easter Island and on the Menehune Ditch.)
Yep. And when you consider that the Polynesians *systematically and deliberately* went on voyages of discovery, it's hard to imagine them missing the Americas.

One note about "discovery": While the term may mean "saw it first", what's important is the consequences of the discovery. The Vikings unquestionably were in the Americas before Columbus, and possibly others were, too. But it was Columbus's "discovery" that really had the major consequences, and for whom.

Hawaii was discovered by Polynesians, and it mattered -- had consequences to them. Centuries later, Spanish and maybe Dutch sailors found the islands, but nothing came of it. It was the Polynesians, then Cook, who had the most effect on Hawaii and the rest of the world.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 PM

@Razzbar

Mahalo im going to have to find that book, interesting post.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,374 times
Very interesting story. I hope they find the table one day.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 PM

Ok ok the argument goes on lol. Yes Hawai'i is a state in the United States but its not the United States. This is an untrueth that Hawai'i is like the mainland, this false ideal has caused alot of ppl problems when wanting to move here. Here is some easy advice to help.

Melting Pot

Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 PM

Heres another myth about Hawai'i that t.v startted.

Hawaii 5-0 was the longest-running police drama until Law and Order. While the stars worked for the state police department in the series, in reality, Hawaii doesn’t have a statewide police department or DMV. They are managed by each county government.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 PM

Heres another myth that the Hawai'ians where savages and were not advanced. Well there has been a resurgence of ancient pratices, like navagation. Did you know that the ancient polynesians were a seafaring ppl? They traveled for long periods and great distances by canoe to settle the southern pacific islands. Hmm dosnt sound too savage like. Here is some info on the resurgence of navagation and Hōkūle‘a

Founding the Polynesian Voyaging Society; Building and Naming H?k?le?a

Wayfinders : Polynesian History and Origin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii