Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:37 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times

Advertisements

You know, it's not the racism, everyone knows that the locals, whoever they are, hate the haoles, whoever they are, the real problem is the rampant cannibalism that has been going on for decades!!!! Am I the only one who recognizes this apalling problem, and why isn't something being done about it!!! And now, WE HAVE ZOMBIES, ALL OVER THE PLACE, SKIN WHITE AS CHALK, MANY WITH LIGHT BLUE HAIR, WANDERING AROUND LIKE THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY'VE BEEN, DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY'RE GOING, AND DON'T KNOW HOW THEY GOT TO WHERE THEY ARE!!!!!!!!! It's truly frightening........
A little sarcasm is a terrible thing to waste.

Aloha and okolemaluna, and MELEKALIKIMAKA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You know, it's not the racism, everyone knows that the locals, whoever they are, hate the haoles, whoever they are, the real problem is the rampant cannibalism that has been going on for decades!!!! Am I the only one who recognizes this apalling problem, and why isn't something being done about it!!! And now, WE HAVE ZOMBIES, ALL OVER THE PLACE, SKIN WHITE AS CHALK, MANY WITH LIGHT BLUE HAIR, WANDERING AROUND LIKE THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY'VE BEEN, DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY'RE GOING, AND DON'T KNOW HOW THEY GOT TO WHERE THEY ARE!!!!!!!!! It's truly frightening........
A little sarcasm is a terrible thing to waste.

Aloha and okolemaluna, and MELEKALIKIMAKA!!!
and i thought i was eating kalua pig?! or maybe pipikaula?! no wonder the "meat" was so chewy. and, a little bland if you ask me.

time to call in those guys from "paranormal state" (interesting show on a & e). wake up, wake up, jung! it's all just a terrible nightmare!

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-19-2007 at 09:06 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 07:59 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
I'm Black and grew up in California where many of my friends and neighbors were either Hawaiian or from Hawaii (and maybe Filipino or Guamanian or whateva). Most true Hawaiians don't trip on your skin color. It's about loving and respecting Hawaiian culture and tradition. Remember, people from Fiji, Maori, Samoa, etc. also live in Hawaii. And many of them look like any other African American of mixed heritage (heck, just look at some old potraits of King Kamehameha--you can see his partial African makeup). When I go to Hawaii, I'm among family and friends.

Just go. Know that you ain't the only pa'ele in the mix. And enjoy da kine.

Malu.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:38 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
I'm trying to understand why people feel this way about topics which (I assume) make them feel "uncomfortable."
You want to understand?.....Someone posted a question asking how well a black person would be received in Hawaii. Then a bunch of people responded by saying not to worry, that Hawaii was a chill place. Then someone misunderstood one of those responses in a negative way. The thread got off topic. Now someone is trying to post about white people.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:59 AM

90 posts, read 296,697 times
Quote:
Opinions on how Black People are Treated in Hawaii
Better than white people.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:18 AM

9 posts, read 84,058 times
Talking Thanks Everybody

I want thank everyone for the comments! I Appreciate every single opinion.
I don't think the thread should be closed and I don't think the subject of racism gets old because IT DOES STILL EXIST. Again, unless you have experienced it you don't know how it feels.

The comment I most took to heart:

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatoan View Post
Yes, the Buddha taught us forgiveness and loving kindness to help end our suffering. The Kuna of the Hawaiians teaches us to cure hala with kala. That is, to untie the bindings of wrong doings that have been suffered against you and your ancestors and forgive the debt and end the cycle of violence.

You will not find peace even in the most beautiful paradise if you are dragging along your hala.
Thanks Croatoan! I think you're psychic (seriously). I can sometimes be very negative and I think about the past very often. Moving to Hawaii would be a great new start for me thats why I want to move. But I often feel like I would bring the negativity with me and I need to get rid of it before the move.
Thanks y'all!

Old 12-25-2007, 03:20 AM

9 posts, read 84,058 times
Thanks. I appreciate your comment the most. Please tell me, what is hala and kala?

Old 12-25-2007, 12:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiM View Post
Thanks. I appreciate your comment the most. Please tell me, what is hala and kala?
Hala: Sin, Error, Offense.

Kala: To loosen, untie, free; To forgive, pardon, excuse.

A good lesson, no matter what religious/cultural tradition it comes from: Forgive the Offense. Pardon the sin. Excuse the Error. Cure the Offense with Forgiveness. Yours or another's.

Hank

Old 12-25-2007, 03:55 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
good post, hank!

there's only one word incorrect in croatoan's post: kuna. i think he/she meant kupuna (grandparent, ancestor or relative) or kahu (attendant, pastor, minister, etc.). or, kumu (teacher).

na pua like 'ole o hawai'i (the various people of hawai'i)
hele malie (go slowly) noho malie (be quiet)
lohe pono (listen carefully) lohe mai i ke a'o (heed the teachings)
ho'okahi no ko kaua noho pu'ana (let us live together)

Old 12-26-2007, 07:41 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default Wow...

Does it really matter how 'Blacks' are treated, where they are treated best etc? You are you, You are not the entire African American race. If you come to the Islands expecting trouble then trouble will find you. Just pack up and come on over and settle in whatever area suits your spirit, relax and enjoy your new neighbors. Introduce yourself and your family. Give a little something to show you don't bite (a plate of cookies, a jar of homemade jam, a personal recipe you adore or just a handful of flowers) and just let it happen. One day you will find yourself on the receiving end of the 'Kamaaina Discount' and you will sing all the way home.

Look up the meaning of 'ALOHA'. It's really quite beautiful and spells the whole thing out for you. Stop worrying all will be well.

Much Aloha to you and your family.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii