Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene111 View Post
Did you ever think that it may not be due to skin color but because of the way you were dressed? People treat you different if you are dressed nicely and look respectable rather than if you have saggy pants, tattoes showing etc.

It also has to do with the high crime rate among the African American community. A high % of the incarcerated population is black, whatever the reason maybe- historical wrongs, poverty, illiteracy. But it makes other people judge you differently and act suspicious than if you were from a community that is better on those things. The chinese are not white either - why are they not treated the same way? I live in a diverse neighborhood and my black neighbor was arrested for drug possession. There was shooting in the house of another black neighbor. Nothing happened with the other neighbors who were korean, chinese and hispanics. Natually when people see these high crime rates, they start looking at a particular community differently. It defintely does not have to do with your skin or racism.

It shouldn't matter. Taking the individual rather than the group should be a first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
JOIM
The thing is that everyone has a different experience, no matter what the color of their skin is. I lived in Oahu for 6 years and I was treated like crap by the Hawaiians for the sole purpose of being white. There are not many black people living there, so I do not know how they are treated, but I do know in some areas, whites are not treated well at all. I didn't like the Big Island ( I only visited, didn't live there), but then again, you can't know what life is like, unless you live there. Some people are nice, and treat everyone with respect, others are just nasty. Your experience will be completley different than mine. I guess you won't know until you try, right?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:41 AM

3 posts, read 16,207 times
Default Yes I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtoscano View Post
Hopefully, you were replying to another post and accidentally quoted mine, since I clearly have a problem with racism. If you weren't, I'd like to point out that I was angry about the racist post that I quoted and replied to.

Yes I was replying to the one that you responded to. My string connection was incorrect.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 AM

3 posts, read 16,207 times
Default Unfortunately for many.... race is the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene111 View Post
Did you ever think that it may not be due to skin color but because of the way you were dressed? People treat you different if you are dressed nicely and look respectable rather than if you have saggy pants, tattoes showing etc.

It also has to do with the high crime rate among the African American community. A high % of the incarcerated population is black, whatever the reason maybe- historical wrongs, poverty, illiteracy. But it makes other people judge you differently and act suspicious than if you were from a community that is better on those things. The chinese are not white either - why are they not treated the same way? I live in a diverse neighborhood and my black neighbor was arrested for drug possession. There was shooting in the house of another black neighbor. Nothing happened with the other neighbors who were korean, chinese and hispanics. Natually when people see these high crime rates, they start looking at a particular community differently. It defintely does not have to do with your skin or racism.

I am an intelligent black woman running my own business and let me tell you for a fact that race is the issue. I don't wear baggy jeans or dress like what America calls a "thug". I get clients for my IT business nationwide via virtual connections, which means they don't see me until I show up to honor the contract. When I am on the phone, they love me, the love my qualifications and hire my firm. But unfortunately most of these companies cancel the contract after I walk in the door revealing my blackness. I didn't get arrested, or do anything negative. I have already proved that I was qualified and they allowed my color negate my worth. I hear and read constantly about how white people have killed, left, or mistreated their family for money and things.... Almost everytime you hear one of those crazy crimes or mass murderers, they are WHITe... But guess what???? I have not decided that all white people are greedy, money hungry, mass murderers. So how dare you or anyone else decide that ALL BLACKS are bad or negative based on what the media portrays. I give each person the benefit of the doubt regardless of the statistics. And when I decide that you are a no good person, it is because you really are a no good person, not because you are White, or Asian, anything esle. So you sleep well with your justification for mistreatment and unfairness. Hug that belief well. But how would you feel if you were negated as a positive citizen based on the negative statistics for your race and nothing more......
Watch that glass house that you are throwing stones from.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:06 PM

13 posts, read 126,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Seems to me that we are all wasting a lot of energy worrying about our color ( or lack thereof) that could be better expended getting a pig in the ground, a fire going and the ice chests loaded up. Some kalua pork, grilled ono and mahi and a few cold ones sounds like da universal language! Be exellent to each other....party on dudes! Aloha!

Sounds good to me! But as a Mexican, I have a feeling I am going to miss some of the food, as Oahu doesn't seem to have very much authentic Mexican. Do you mind if we marinade the Pig in Achiote-Sour Orange Paste... and serve it with some pickled Red Onions & some roasted Habanero salsa for a variation?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho & Zapata View Post
Sounds good to me! But as a Mexican, I have a feeling I am going to miss some of the food, as Oahu doesn't seem to have very much authentic Mexican. Do you mind if we marinade the Pig in Achiote-Sour Orange Paste... and serve it with some pickled Red Onions & some roasted Habanero salsa for a variation?
Sounds wayyy Bueno to me amigo! Something I'm going to miss about Nv is being able to run up the mountain and grab some Mountain Mahogany to use on my grill. Ahh the sweet tangy smokey smell of Mahogany grilled steak! Might maybe we need to stock up on some of these culinary delights before the big move. Good food leads to good fellowship aye!? Preparing food such as we are disscusing could even turn into a way to make a living. Whata ya think ...Pancho and Zapatas Moutain Mahogany grilled Carne Assada with a side of Achiote pork served with your choice of corn or flour tortilla fresh jalepeno and for a little Island flavor ...garlic cilantro crusted grilled ono appetizer....Ya never know. Aloha bro!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sounds wayyy Bueno to me amigo! Something I'm going to miss about Nv is being able to run up the mountain and grab some Mountain Mahogany to use on my grill. Ahh the sweet tangy smokey smell of Mahogany grilled steak! Might maybe we need to stock up on some of these culinary delights before the big move. Good food leads to good fellowship aye!? Preparing food such as we are disscusing could even turn into a way to make a living. Whata ya think ...Pancho and Zapatas Moutain Mahogany grilled Carne Assada with a side of Achiote pork served with your choice of corn or flour tortilla fresh jalepeno and for a little Island flavor ...garlic cilantro crusted grilled ono appetizer....Ya never know. Aloha bro!
Sounds good to me... we should setup at a Farmers Market & see if it flies.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:25 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
If you guys do this, just tell me when & where, & I'll be your first customer! Yummm!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Barack Obama

How boutz a cheer for Hawaii's most famous Black man, product of Punahou Prep School... and the next president of the United States of America

Old 05-21-2008, 07:24 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
Indecision 2008 - West Virginia | The Daily Show | Comedy Central (watch at least to the two minute mark...these interview clips are somewhat shocking to me)

My personal opinion here...but I think that everyone should see this as they evaluate exactly why Clinton won by such large numbers in WVA and KY...

The national news coverage I've seen have recently started referring to "Appalachian white working-class voters" as a distinct group.

Yes, I know that it is not right to stereotype all residents of these states, and I certainly do not. But I grew up in these areas. I am glad to see someone address the issue honestly--even if it is with Jon Stuart's cynicism.

Another reason why I choose--and am glad--to live in Hawaii!

For balance, here is a link to an article with another take on the issue: The Charleston Gazette - Op-Ed Commentaries - Ron Eller*

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 05-21-2008 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii