Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:38 AM

60 posts, read 394,155 times

Advertisements

racism is part of hawaiian culture. but not in the mainland sence. everyone in hawaii is subject to racism hawaiians are subject to racism. for being to light or to dark... its all in good fun tho. its not like the mainland were racist remarks express hate. in hawaii we use racism to point out our differences. as long as u can make light... and get in the fun to... youl be fine. its not like the southern us... were racism is evil. just good old fun. hawaii is a culture shock. have an open mind and an open heart.

mahalos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:40 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times
Cyn - Thanks for that link. woowee! I know what you mean, my husband's folks were from Arkansas and West Virginia. Can be scary places.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 34,778 times
Default Molokai

I am being sent to Molokai to care for the National Park. I am so thrilled to be going to a peacful place to learn and enjoy the culture. I have a great respect for all who are there and want to learn and experience this place. I am tired of rushing through life and being pushed by the fast pace of where I live. I know I will meet wonderful people and have great memories made there.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 34,577 times
I am black, and I was born and raised in Hawaii. I was raised in Mililani, and i just moved to Salt Lake. My brother and sister were also born and raised here. Honestly, being black and living in hawaii is rewarding. I have never lived on the mainland, so I cant compare. I do know that many blacks that move to hawaii do act as if they are still back in the states. Hawaii is a whole different world. If you act like you have sense, and try to embrace the culture of hawaii you will like it. Trying to speak pidgin, and you know cant, WILL insult sum1 who does speak it, because they will think your trying to be an ass. UNLESS theyre your real good friends and your jokin around. Another big issue is associating all blacks with the military. Being black, many people assumed im from the mainland. If you are military, and black,dont act a fool, because then you will start to embrace the stereotypes of black people, people wont like you and might just tell you to go back to where you came from. Another thing is the N word. Most people in hawaii will say it and not mean anything by it, so dont get offended. Usually friends may use it with you. The word is rarely ever used though. All that talk about hawaiians being rude people isnt true. If you are kind and cordial to anyone who is from Hawaii, they are kind and cordial to you. If you want respect, you give respect.

Alot of people have learned this the hard way: If you are ever gonna talk about someone, be careful who you say it to, and who you say its about, or mess with. Its an island. A tiny one in fact. Word travels very fast. All it takes is a phone call people!!!!
If you talk about anyones family member, or cause trouble, expect to get beat, especially if you arent from Hawaii. Hawaii has VERY STRONG family ties, and everyone is related to someone in some way.
Also, if you want to make it in Hawaii, you must remember that you have to work extra hard to get what you get, especially if you're black. Yes, there are prejudice people in Hawaii, and I have experienced that. Overall, if your black, you are welcome in Hawaii, you just have to learn to live the local way. It's a great place to live,and there are nice people no matter where you go. From Waianae, to the North shore, to Pearl City, to Salt Lake, to Kalihi, and all the way to Downtown, Hawaii Kai, and Kailua, there are nice people everywhere. Don't limit yourself to your little living space, the more you explore Hawaii, learn more about other peoples culture,drive across the island, eat different foods ,the more you will see that Hawaii isnt all that bad.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-05-2009 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: watch your language

Old 01-05-2009, 02:57 AM

11 posts, read 70,263 times
I was born and raised in Hawaii and moved to California in 1977 so that I could have a better chance at exposure for sports, I moved to Bella Vista which is in Northern California. I can say this much, I learned what hate and discrimination was right off the bat. It seems that an island boy coming in and trying to fit was not going to happen. It turned out that not only were the kids prejudice but so were the parents and it was magnified. Here I was an island boy who never wore shoes (flip flops only) and played sports bare footed most of the time and showed the kids up. It was like I disrupted their whole eco system. I learned even after moving around till I joined the military was I some what accepted, until being unleashed in the South. I became less tanned by living in the states and found myself changing just so I could fit in. I can say this much, at least I could fit in.

My friends always joked with me, calling me a little mexican, or Italian or whatever. I found that I was a chameleon. In the military they used it to their advantage by sending me to language school after I was assigned into my special forces unit. Yes, I learned to speak 2 dialects of Arabic so guess what I was considered? I guess my situation has made me sensitive to those of color even more and caused me to be prejudiced towards some whites who are ignorant. I miss Hawaii for it was and always will be the melting pot. Afterall i was family, and everyone is related somehow whether it be 1st 2nd or even 3rd cousins....Family is Family in Hawaii. Now you can choose to fit in and if you act civilized (According to island standards) and respectful you may be considered family.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 34,545 times
from my experience of living in the islands for over 15 yrs., with multi-cultural diversity and so many different nationalities,,,, blacks are treated the same as anyone, but maybe treated better than caucasians. the caucasians seem to have more difficulty fitting in....take care and i think you will be happy here

Old 01-08-2009, 04:38 AM

2 posts, read 38,574 times
Okay I am born and raised in Kona but lol currently living in O'ahu. Anyways, at times skin matters but all depends on the people other than that the way you stare and act can caus problems. Watch what you say and do then your fine. Heads up. Kona can be really booring if you dont know what to do. Find the right thing to do and it will be worth the stay

Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 36,186 times
Default You'll be fine

Hawaii is a beautiful place in that race, in general, is not an issue. Having said that, there are ignorant people everywhere. And the one thing you can be sure of is that ignorant people make sure to be recognized. By being ignorant.

But here is the deal - they would have been ignorant regardless of who you are. In Hawaii, because there are just so many races here, you will be judged, in the words of MLK, "...by the content of your character..." before anything else.

So welcome, and good luck. Just be a good neighbor, and everything else will work itself out.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 31,148 times
well racism is everywhere against black people always will be until the end of time...may not be verbal.. the silent killer...regardless of what one may think black people will always have this "Mark" mentally and physically.. However to rid thine self of any of the most popular beliefs and mockeries since we were bought and brought after being stolen and robbed of all of our great possessions the lie must live and breathe otherwise the Truth will escape rapidly and the reversal of fortune will annihilate every race that has waxed the their filth against this race..Us..An african poeple who have been used and misused and abused for over 1000s of years.... so my friend go to hawaii after all they have been mis-treated the same...remain in America after all The Indians a most loved people too have been mistreated the same.

DESTROYED

remember the past broaden your horizon...never look for anyone to keep you from seeing and entertaining your wealth(mind)...Everything belongs to God and soon He will put a quick end to such racism and hatred. SO go please go and never let racism eliminate your beauty and functioning. Hawaii is just the beginning keep travelling black people are of every nation and race something that can never end or be destroyed.

The darker the skin the more you are hated...the more intelligent you are the more you are hated...the more graceful you are the more you are denied...It happens to the caucassion race too...
soon God will change all this mockery we have suffered into something excellently beautiful and full of His grace. Always challenge your fears and turn them into precious GEMS! GOOOO!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le'Darnelle' View Post
well racism is everywhere against black people always will be until the end of time...may not be verbal.. the silent killer...regardless of what one may think black people will always have this "Mark" mentally and physically.. However to rid thine self of any of the most popular beliefs and mockeries since we were bought and brought after being stolen and robbed of all of our great possessions the lie must live and breathe otherwise the Truth will escape rapidly and the reversal of fortune will annihilate every race that has waxed the their filth against this race..Us..An african poeple who have been used and misused and abused for over 1000s of years.... so my friend go to hawaii after all they have been mis-treated the same...remain in America after all The Indians a most loved people too have been mistreated the same.

DESTROYED

remember the past broaden your horizon...never look for anyone to keep you from seeing and entertaining your wealth(mind)...Everything belongs to God and soon He will put a quick end to such racism and hatred. SO go please go and never let racism eliminate your beauty and functioning. Hawaii is just the beginning keep travelling black people are of every nation and race something that can never end or be destroyed.

The darker the skin the more you are hated...the more intelligent you are the more you are hated...the more graceful you are the more you are denied...It happens to the caucassion race too...
soon God will change all this mockery we have suffered into something excellently beautiful and full of His grace. Always challenge your fears and turn them into precious GEMS! GOOOO!
Only people can bring an end to racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii