Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,771,331 times

Advertisements

Lol all joking aside, Mahalo you all for your posts and debate, even if we don't agree on everything we can always part with Aloha. So aloha and mahalo.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:20 PM

56 posts, read 110,219 times
Shoes off at the door is the rule up here in Alaska. All year long. Its not a cultural thing, of course, its a "Dude.. seriously, you just stomped mud and snow in my house, whats wrong with you!?" thing. In the summer its wet and rains all the time so same deal. Its very rude or ignorant to enter the house without stripping your shoes. Lots of ppl travel around with extra socks or slippers in their bags. Coming from The South, it was a new experience and I had to adjust to this. Now its like second nature.

I imagine in HI the cultural experience varies greatly on your location and how you live. Here in Alaska we have alot of Native Alaskans ( to you Lower 48ers ... eskimos). They have their own culture, language, and customs. You see a little of it here in Anchorage. But when you go to the villages, and the much smaller towns, it is very pronounced.
I have been to Honolulu. Its a big dirty city that happens to be in Hawaii. (IMO). But going out to a smaller island and going to local places you find Hawaiian culture and the differences that make HI unique. Just like here in Alaska. If you only live in Anchorage and dont ever leave the city, then its only really the climate and environment that make it unique. But if you travel out into the villages, see the subsistence living, eat ice cream made of whale fat, catch wild salmon with a net, observe a few bears, and talk and visit with locals you get a taste of the culture.
However, even in the city you get wild moose and bear. And fresh caught salmon is always on the menu

Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 PM

@creativelytaylored

Aloha i have to say your post was prob one of the best ive heared in awhile Mahalo. Aloha welcome to CDF Hawai'i forum. Mahalo again for the awsome post.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 PM

Aloha,

lets get back on track and on topic.

#3 As a rule, most locals are bicultural. That is, We know how to behave in different ways when situational pressures dictate it. Culture and cultural differences are programmed into us.

We all grew up with different cultures. For me personally, there was the Hawaiian culture which we all were exposed to. Then there was the Japanese people in our town whose influence was unavoidable. And in our ohana it was Hawai'ian, asian, native american and western culture. This is normal for local people.

Each culture blending and bringing customs and beliefs with it.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,956,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha,

lets get back on track and on topic.

#3 As a rule, most locals are bicultural. That is, We know how to behave in different ways when situational pressures dictate it. Culture and cultural differences are programmed into us.

We all grew up with different cultures. For me personally, there was the Hawaiian culture which we all were exposed to. Then there was the Japanese people in our town whose influence was unavoidable. And in our ohana it was Hawai'ian, asian, native american and western culture. This is normal for local people.

Each culture blending and bringing customs and beliefs with it.

I am not trying to be condescending or mean, but I have a hard time understanding what point you are trying to make.

Define situational pressure. I think most people with a functioning brain are able to behave themselves when under pressure. Why would that be a special thing for locals? I don't get it.

Last edited by Pikake; 10-09-2013 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
I am not trying to be condescending or mean, but I have a hard time understanding what point you are trying to make.

Define situational pressure. I think most people with a functioning brain are able to behave themselves when under pressure. Why would that be a special thing for locals? I don't get it.
Good question, well if your a Malihini would you know what the right actions to take if your visiting a traditional asian home for the first time ever? or socially just hanging out because things that are ok in mainland are sometimes not ok in Hawai'i. What about being invitted over for a potluck etc, would you know what is required of you? Or trying to date a traditional asian girl? See these are things we learn from growing up being exposed to multiculture in Hawai'i or after living there for awhile. Unlike mainland where its all american culture, Hawai'i isnt. That all that i meant nothing more. All of these examples are of situational pressures.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:02 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,957,158 times
Quote:
Or trying to date a traditional asian girl
What does that have to do with Hawaii? A non-issue in Hawaii (my wife is Asian so I have some expertise in this area)

Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What does that have to do with Hawaii? A non-issue in Hawaii (my wife is Asian so I have some expertise in this area)
God Its not about you viper!

Can two people experience something and have two different experiences from it. Viper is it possible for two people to have opposite truths? Or different realities?

There are two types of asians, americanised and traditional. Forgive me if im missreading you but everytime you write and the way you write comes across as an attack. If that is not your intention then forgive me? Well anyguy who can win the heart of an asian woman is a blessed man even if they are american or off the boat(traditional)

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-10-2013 at 01:24 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 01:33 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,957,158 times
Quote:

Can two people experience something and have two different experiences from it. Viper is it possible for two people to have opposite truths? Or different realities?

There are two types of asians, americanised and traditional. Forgive me if im missreading you but everytime you write and the way you write comes across as an attack. If that is not your intention then forgive me? Well anyguy who can win the heart of an asian woman is a blessed man even if they are american or off the boat(traditional)
Hmmm, considering my wife was born in Vietnam that would qualify as more traditional than anything I would think. Considering I lived in Asia (Japan and Singapore) there is no similarity to dating women in those countries versus Hawaii. Another false post that dating Asian women in Hawaii is different then let's say, San Francisco.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hmmm, considering my wife was born in Vietnam that would qualify as more traditional than anything I would think. Considering I lived in Asia (Japan and Singapore) there is no similarity to dating women in those countries versus Hawaii. Another false post that dating Asian women in Hawaii is different then let's say, San Francisco.
Your such an . My first girlfriend, bestfriend and there ohana where from japan in Hawai'i not sf or etc, barely spoke english and my girlfriend was very passive and quiet. There behaviors where different from American behaviors, how they thought was different. Got it.

Also please take a look at my threads viper they all say Hawai'i not oahu, or honolulu. No sub cat. So what does the say my info is general not specific to any region.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-10-2013 at 02:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii