Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 02:14 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times

Advertisements

you don't even live in Hawaii

Old 10-10-2013, 02:30 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,549,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Good question, well if your a Malihini would you know what the right actions to take if your visiting a traditional asian home for the first time ever? or socially just hanging out because things that are ok in mainland are sometimes not ok in Hawai'i. What about being invitted over for a potluck etc, would you know what is required of you? Or trying to date a traditional asian girl? See these are things we learn from growing up being exposed to multiculture in Hawai'i or after living there for awhile. Unlike mainland where its all american culture, Hawai'i isnt. That all that i meant nothing more. All of these examples are of situational pressures.
I've got to say that I think you're just going in circles here. You keep on repeating the same thing over and over. You bring up these little anecdotal situations and assume it's such a huge part of everyday life. A "traditional Asian home" in Hawaii? What is that supposed to mean? You mean immigrants? Or local Asians like myself? Invited over for a potluck? Well most people invited over for a meal anywhere in the country would think it's considerate to bring over a dish themselves. Date a traditional Asian girl? You mean an immigrant? So there are no immigrants in other U.S. cities? Not everywhere on the mainland is the same either. There are differences between different places on the mainland just like there are differences between Hawaii and the mainland. Maybe 50 years ago when my parents were growing up in Hawaii your claim about Hawaii being so unique would be valid but today, not so much.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong and I know that perception plays a big role in how we view our surroundings but I just don't relate to what you're saying and I grew up here too. When I lived on the mainland I really didn't find it that big of an adjustment except for the fact that most of my family wasn't within a 30 minute drive. I didn't find the weather or food differences that big a deal and I even related to people the same way I did when I was in Hawaii. I just think you're nitpicking a lot but if that's you're perception it's hard to argue with you.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Maybe 50 years ago
Even 20 years ago things were somewhat unique. Today, not really.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:36 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
you don't even live in Hawaii
Omg wiper now your getting desperate, please stop before you make more of a fool of yourself then you already are. E'Pupule hupo pa'a ka waha okole puka!

Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,593,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I stand corrected! I received a DM from Loo Biffy on the building that was in question. The name of the building is Lele Pono. I never thought the building had that many floors.
Nope, it's pearlridge square. I just want to know how can one building have more stories than another and not be taller??? And Loo had to live in the taller building, he was having an identity crisis....

Now, back to what ever it was..............

I picked a hell of a night to quit smokin nahele

Last edited by Jungjohann; 10-10-2013 at 03:50 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 03:55 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
You know what OpenD said is true you guys really need to get out of waikiki ok. Nitpicking? Well guys your kinda on my thread no offence. And if you don't care for what i post your welcome to just not come onto my threads but you keep comming back. Further, your right it is perception. But guys what you forget is i understand the difference between right or wrong, its wrong to hound or harrass someone because you feel what they post is irrelevant or not. Its not ok to hound or harrass someone because there realities don't match your ideal of what is correct. Its not ok to playgames to breakdown there credibility to other. All this time you have selfrightously appointed yourself as CDF content manager. But what your forgetting is, i don't agree with your point of view. Soooo should that give me the right to go to your threads and sabotage you? No i understand diversity and everything is not about me, unlike you.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 AM

136 posts, read 331,189 times
Quote:
Hmmm, considering my wife was born in Vietnam that would qualify as more traditional than anything I would think. Considering I lived in Asia (Japan and Singapore) there is no similarity to dating women in those countries versus Hawaii. Another false post that dating Asian women in Hawaii is different then let's say, San Francisco.
I find your posts to be entertaining. Instead of trying to find common ground or agreeing to disagree, your attitude is "I'm experienced on this topic. So I'm The Expert! Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong because I'm The Expert!" Keep it up

Anyway, I agree that dating an Americanized Asian women in Hawaii is generally similar to dating an Americanized Asian woman in San Fransisco. And dating Asian women in Asian countries is different from dating Americanized Asian women.

Only thing is, you're arguing against something that hawaiian by heart never said (straw man). He said that living in Hawaii may help one learn about dating a traditional (first generation immigrant who does not identify much with America) Asian girl. There are some traditional Asians in Hawaii and even more in San Francisco. But, Asians are less than 1% of the population in much of the country. Chances are, people will not learn about dating a traditional Asian girl there. So they might actually learn something about traditional Asians in Hawaii.

I'll give an example: white male living in San Francisco/Alabama/North Dakota- doesn't matter. Doesn't know much about Asian culture because he mostly hangs out with whites and has never dated a traditional Asian girl. Moves to Hawaii and has no idea about dating traditional Asian girls. Surrounded by Asians for the first time, he decides to date a traditional Asian girl in Hawaii and learns all about it (hawaiian by heart's point). Later he breaks up with her and moves to San Francisco where he dates a traditional Asian girl and discovers it's pretty similar to dating traditional Asian girls in Hawaii (your point). He also discovers that his traditional Asian girlfriend is different from more Americanized Asians he meets in San Francisco (your other point) So you're both right

Last edited by Jonny08; 10-10-2013 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Aloha,

#3 As a rule, most locals are bicultural. That is, We know how to behave in different ways when situational pressures dictate it. Culture and cultural differences are programmed into us.

We all grew up with different cultures. For me personally, there was the Hawaiian culture which we all were exposed to. Then there was the Japanese people in our town whose influence was unavoidable. And in our ohana it was Hawai'ian, asian, native american and western culture. This is normal for local people.

Each culture blending and bringing customs and beliefs with it.
True, but some other areas of the country are also very diverse. For example, in parts of the SF Bay Area the white, Asian, and Hispanic populations are about 30% each. I learned a lot about different cultures by living in California. Being exposed to different cultures is not exclusive to Hawaii.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Unlike mainland where its all american culture, Hawai'i isnt.
Not true. The mainland does not have one unified "American culture" that is absent in Hawaii.

I would say that everywhere in the US is affected by mainstream American culture. In Hawaii, mainstream American culture is mixed with Asian/Pacific Islander culture. Similarly, Mexican culture influences parts of the southwest, etc.

Last edited by Jonny08; 10-10-2013 at 06:53 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
I guess we have a different idea of what "culture" is. You think anywhere in the world where there's traffic, fast food, department stores, and people speak English automatically has the same culture?
Quote:
Yes. We have a different definition. More Asian restaurants and bad Mexican food does not make a culture.
You used straw man again here. I never mentioned food yet you respond as if I said food is the only difference about Hawaii. How about you try to avoid using informal fallacies in your posts. It really hinders having a productive discussion when you distort what someone says and attack a claim that they never said in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii