Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
What about taking away the GET on food and prescription drugs for the residents of Hawaii only? Has any state legislator there ever proposed a bill that would do that? Maybe they could make up the lost revenue with an increase in the hotel tax or something else that doesn't nail Hawaii residents.
The problem with the GET tax is it generates about half of the states tax income. Huge money. The alternative would be going to a state sales tax that would equal 14% on each sale to add up to what the GET tax brings in. I also believe that Hawaii is the only one with GET.

I agree with your direction.

You know what now that I think about it that would be a good way, but how do you return revenue lost for the state?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-11-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:17 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The problem with the GET tax is it generates about half of the states tax income. Huge money. The alternative would be going to a state sales tax that would equal 14% on each sale to add up to what the GET tax brings in. I also believe that Hawaii is the only one with GET.

I agree with your direction.
I am not suggesting they totally eliminate the GET tax. Just make it so the residents of Hawaii don't have to pay the GET on food and prescription drugs.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I am not suggesting they totally eliminate the GET tax. Just make it so the residents of Hawaii don't have to pay the GET on food and prescription drugs.
Ya i changed my post after i thought about it.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
What about taking away the GET on food and prescription drugs for the residents of Hawaii only? Has any state legislator there ever proposed a bill that would do that? Maybe they could make up the lost revenue with an increase in the hotel tax or something else that doesn't nail Hawaii residents.
It's been tried and and legislature shot it down. Lots of other states do not charge sales tax on food or drugs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-12-2014, 02:30 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
I thought prescription drugs were exempt?
We pay set co-pay amounts and I always just hand over the co-pay. Can't recall if there is anything added to that.
Pretty sure that non-prescription meds are taxed, though.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's been tried and and legislature shot it down. Lots of other states do not charge sales tax on food or drugs.
Auwe!, i just learned something new about Hawai'i I never knew. No citizen initiatives. Many legislators can be corrupted by their need to raise campaign money and please "the power players -- big business and big labor (unions). Voters use initiatives "to overcome the self-interest" of the legislators they elect.

Geez you are playing with a stacked deck. Thats also something that needs to change, because not only does the voters initiative let the citizens be part of policy and law making, but it also gives the citizens the power to keep elected legislators accountable with veto, and recall powers.

So no two party system and no citizen initiatives. Hmm and Hawai'i is a state? Sounds more like a parliament system? It sounds to me and im no expert. That the only way to challenge the system is thru judicial means. And im no lawyer.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:06 AM

Now the attitude of no change and who cares makes since.

And the way thing our politically maybe why everything is so expensive, to cater to special interests. Spooky. I got chik'n'skin.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-12-2014 at 06:17 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
I thought prescription drugs were exempt?
We pay set co-pay amounts and I always just hand over the co-pay. Can't recall if there is anything added to that.
Pretty sure that non-prescription meds are taxed, though.
They even tax your doctor and dentist visits!

You do pay a set amount for the co-pay, but the rx meds are taxed too. The insurance company pays the GET. I have seen it listed on insurance payment forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii