Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times

Advertisements

Demand is not tied to population. If that were the case, just think how expensive things would be in China or India.

Basic economic theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Demand is not tied to population. If that were the case, just think how expensive things would be in China or India.

Basic economic theory.
Wasnt one of your arguments about the high cost of housing, rents etc wasnt it based on the fact of population growth and not having enough housing to cover population growth? Thus a land owners market? Or did I not understand what you were saying?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Wasnt one of your arguments about the high cost of housing, rents etc wasnt it based on the fact of population growth and not having enough housing to cover population growth? Thus a land owners market? Or did I not understand what you were saying?
You weren't understanding what I was saying.

Demand is the willingness and ability to pay for something. No demand = lower prices. That determines the market. Obviously people are willing and able to $9 for milk or it wouldn't happen.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
You weren't understanding what I was saying.

Demand is the willingness and ability to pay for something. No demand = lower prices. That determines the market. Obviously people are willing and able to $9 for milk or it wouldn't happen.
Or they are left with not that much choice if they want milk. Safeway, Foodland, Don Qs and walmart is the only stores in oahu right? If im wrong then fine, learning experience.

I believe one thing that is awsome that the article said was often people were to busy making a living to try and change things or that the way politics runs makes it difficult to have community debates or discussions.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times
@Hawaiian By Heart
It is simple, we weigh things out. To many the cost of living in Hawaii is worth it. So they do. To many, many, MANY more the cost is not worth it. So they don't. It's the same with milk and cigarettes. To you they are worth the price you pay here in Oregon. To me, no way! Again, you have to weigh things out. Is living in Hawaii more or less important than having your milk and smokes? If you want to have all of the above, then maybe you would choose to work your butt off, save your money and move to Hawaii later down the road. That said, life isn't fair and not everyone will be able to afford to live exactly where they want to. I am still working on my second 10 year plan and everything is going good. However, I still might be priced out. If so, then at least I can say I gave it my best.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Or they are left with not that much choice if they want milk. Safeway, Foodland, Don Qs and walmart is the only stores in oahu right? If im wrong then fine, learning experience.
Apparently the ABC store is before your time. A Hawaiian staple.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:30 PM

@McFrostyJ

I really don't smoke or drink milk, they were just examples i could find prices too. I also believe in hardwork and am doing the same as you. Yes life isnt fair. But it can also be unfair because good men don't stand up and say something. Anyway we talk it to death. I think its funny that we couldn't find one solution oh well. Aloha

Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Apparently the ABC store is before your time. A Hawaiian staple.
No not b4 my time just forgot about them thats all. Mahalo for reminding me.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:

I believe one thing that is awsome that the article said was often people were to busy making a living to try and change things or that the way politics runs makes it difficult to have community debates or discussions.

Costco, commissaries, Times, various other small supermarkets, 7-11, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-11-2014, 01:49 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
I wonder how many tourists come over here, go grocery shopping at the ever so convenient ABC store, and then base their expenses upon that alone.""OH MY GOD MILDRED!!!! MILK IS 9 BUCKS!!!!!! FOR A HALF GALLON!!!!"

TADTS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii