Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 AM

44 posts, read 97,987 times

Advertisements

Just my $0.02, but I think these articles should be made into a 'sticky'.

Slightly Off Topic Item
While doing a little work related research, I came across some data that surprised me regarding the finances of the state of Hawaii.

State Budget Solutions' Fourth Annual State Debt Report > Publications > State Budget Solutions

Seeing Illinois prominently featured for messed up state finances was something I expected, but I did not expect to see Hawaii make any of the top 5 lists. Hawaii was #1 for highest per capita unfunded OPEB liabilities and #2 for highest per capita debt. (OPEB = Other Post Employment Benefits i.e., retiree health care.)

Absent large increases in revenues from a booming economy, correcting the state's finances will likely increase the magnitude of the 'paradise tax' (higher taxes, fewer services and/or services of lower quality, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketMaker View Post
I came across some data that surprised me regarding the finances of the state of Hawaii.
No surprise to those who live here

Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
All that information should be a sticky.

I always thought food was around 30% more here, but that says 70%.

I was kinda freaking that hubby and I spend about $500 to $600 a month for food. Granted I keep a well stocked pantry, and we eat good cuts of meat, but almost everything we eat is homemade, and we probably only eat out a few times a month. But crikey, it's just the two us with kidlets here and there.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
All that information should be a sticky.

I was kinda freaking that hubby and I spend about $500 to $600 a month for food. Granted I keep a well stocked pantry, and we eat good cuts of meat, but almost everything we eat is homemade, and we probably only eat out a few times a month. But crikey, it's just the two us with kidlets here and there.
But its ok, go back to sleep. Its just supply and demand, I mean don't you want to pay those high prices? Why are you upset? You choose to buy food didnt you? So you must be saying its ok?

Oh come on, we have such a good thing going here why change it? You get to eat and I get rich, schools get funded. If I say please will you forget you learned the truth? How about pretty please? Oh come on, you should be happy, you live in Hawai'i and paradise. Im sorry you can't make it to the beach or see the sun, but im doing you a favor the sun causes cancer. Cont next post

Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 PM

(Cont from above post)

See im your friend. We just can't change things, you know. There our people counting on us. I mean we almost got rid of all those pesky poor lower class people and soon we will be getting rid of all those locals and middle class. Think how nice paradise will be without the Howzits, or Alohas, and worse of all bruddahs. Imagine no traffic, no waiting in lines. It will be just us and the rich japanese tourists, life will be grand. Go back to sleep. lol

Paid for by the mainland interesrs firm. Support us because we know what best for you, better then you know. And don't you know we are friends?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Don't you all get it. High prices are a conspiracy!!!

(Ad paid by those who can't afford to live here and are bitter)

Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
Should prices be the same no matter where you live?

I live in a resort area at the foot of Mt Hood. Things up here like food and gas, are way more expensive then down in town. Yet for me, it is worth it to live in the mountains.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:

And that's bull****, or, pipi kane kukae

Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
But its ok, go back to sleep. Its just supply and demand, I mean don't you want to pay those high prices? Why are you upset? You choose to buy food didnt you? So you must be saying its ok?

Oh come on, we have such a good thing going here why change it? You get to eat and I get rich, schools get funded. If I say please will you forget you learned the truth? How about pretty please? Oh come on, you should be happy, you live in Hawai'i and paradise. Im sorry you can't make it to the beach or see the sun, but im doing you a favor the sun causes cancer. Cont next post
I spent 6 years at the state with people who were trying to fix it. What's your point? I've already said once the youngest turns 18 we are leaving.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I spent 6 years at the state with people who were trying to fix it. What's your point? I've already said once the youngest turns 18 we are leaving.
I was joking it was humor guys! Geez lighten up. I wasn't attacking you Mikala43. Well when It becomes a big enough issue, it will change. Things get worse before they get better.

@McFrostyJ and no, prices don't have to be the same anyplace. But It doesn't have to be that expensive in Hawaii.

@whtviper1: no not bitter. Shoot I live in Honolulu right now, just need to walk out my door. We have starbucks, safeway, mcdonald's, wholefoods and the same highpriced retail stores, shoot we even have our own international market place! The only difference is sun and ocean. Wow kinda expensive for sun and ocean? Expensive tan huh.

I prob would had said it was worth it 30years ago, when things were still local and unique. Further, the quality of people has drop alot since then. So no im not bitter, in fact im lmao at you. (next post)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii