Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times

Advertisements

I thought everybody drove around Kaua'i listening to "I'm yours" by Jason Mraz:

Jason Mraz - I'm Yours [Official Music Video] - YouTube

We like Makana around here as well, he plays live pretty often (and always at the Orchid festival in Hanapepe at the end of March). For live music listings (including bar and restaurant performers), see Kauai Music Scene

Otherwise, I just listen to the radio:

90.9/91.9 is KKCR, Kauai community radio and has Hawaiian music every weekday morning
93.5 KONG is contemporary music, some Hawaiian contemporary
95.9 (FM 96) is easy listening, but not too bad
96.9 (FM 97) plays a lot of reggae and jawaiian
98.1 jamz is young but not so hawaiian
98.9 Island Radio has some reggae and jawaiian as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM

25 posts, read 45,194 times
Yes, Jeff Peterson, Maui born, Grammy Award winner, slack key guitarist. On our tour of Hana, Maui, our driver played Jeff's "Maui on my Mind" CD which fit perfectly with the Hawaiian ambiance. Check out this cut from that CD, "Lilinoe": www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwTxq71aaI

Old 01-16-2014, 05:18 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,482 times
Default Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha i have an extensive hawaii music collection.

One of the alltime best bands from Hawaii was Cecilio and Kapono.
See if this is something you would url]
Over the last year, I have been searching my brain for the name of the awesome band from Hawaii that I used to listen to back in the days of my youth. For the life of me, I couldn't remember nor find them by googling, and had long ago lost my vinyl albums.

Saw your post and that is them - Cecilio and Kapono! Because of your post, I just listened to some samples and was taken back to my youth and visits to my aunt in Hawaii...beautiful times! Am downloading the mp3 version of Elua from amazon as I type, and when it is done, am taking the dogs for a long walk in the sun to smile at the memories as I listen!

A million thanks to you...

Old 01-16-2014, 05:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
Over the last year, I have been searching my brain for the name of the awesome band from Hawaii that I used to listen to back in the days of my youth. For the life of me, I couldn't remember nor find them by googling, and had long ago lost my vinyl albums.

Saw your post and that is them - Cecilio and Kapono! Because of your post, I just listened to some samples and was taken back to my youth and visits to my aunt in Hawaii...beautiful times! Am downloading the mp3 version of Elua from amazon as I type, and when it is done, am taking the dogs for a long walk in the sun to smile at the memories as I listen!

A million thanks to you...
Mahalo for posting that, that brings so much aloha to my heart. Its when we forget is when the Hawai'i of our hanabada times and aloha we known goes away forever. Im glad i was able to help you remember. Enjoy Aloha.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:10 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
@Jonah K

Gee does O-Shen,Na Hoa, and Sudden Rush count? Or maybe your talking Palolos finest? Or Angry Locals, B.E.T? I have them all.

Scary huh lol?
They count...

But, if your "Hawaiian music" collection doesn't include music by artists that aren't even that well-known in Hawaiʻi, such as Kekuhi Kanahele, Kaumakaiwa Kanakaʻole, Beach 5, Butch Helemano, Cityside, ʻEhukai, HI Town, Hoʻaikane, Hoʻokoa, Hoʻonuʻa, Joshua Alo, Kaipo Kapua, Kamau, Kekai Boyz, Koaʻuka, Kuaʻana, Mixjah, One Inity, Dai Hirai, etc., then you can't really claim to "have them all."

For instance, here's a song by Dai Hirai called "Inoribana" (Prayer Flower)...

Inoribana 「祈り花」Â - YouTube

Old 01-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post

After Cecilio was busted for child molestation a couple of years ago, some of those old Cecilio & Kapono songs have taken on a different, more ominous meaning (e.g. "Don't Say No", "We're All Alone", "You and Me", "Make It Up to You", "Longing", "Here With You", "Life's Different Now", etc.).

Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
They count...

But, if your "Hawaiian music" collection doesn't include music by artists that aren't even that well-known in Hawaiʻi, such as Kekuhi Kanahele, Kaumakaiwa Kanakaʻole, Beach 5, Butch Helemano, Cityside, ʻEhukai, HI Town, Hoʻaikane, Hoʻokoa, Hoʻonuʻa, Joshua Alo, Kaipo Kapua, Kamau, Kekai Boyz, Koaʻuka, Kuaʻana, Mixjah, One Inity, Dai Hirai, etc., then you can't really claim to "have them all."

For instance, here's a song by Dai Hirai called "Inoribana" (Prayer Flower)...

Inoribana 「祈り花」Â - YouTube
Good song bruddah, but i have a hawaii music collection. You know you could always give a bruddah a break you know? I haven't been home since the early 80s. So competing against me is like fighting a one armed man. Geez i meant alot. lol But you got to admit not bad for someone so faraway from home so long.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
After Cecilio was busted for child molestation a couple of years ago, some of those old Cecilio & Kapono songs have taken on a different, more ominous meaning (e.g. "Don't Say No", "We're All Alone", "You and Me", "Make It Up to You", "Longing", "Here With You", "Life's Different Now", etc.).
Now why you go and tell her dat fo? She was enjoying da music and getting joy out of it?

Yeah Cecilio was a sick guy, but dat don't change dat their music had mana in it. I don't get you guys on here sometimes itz like if anyone gets joy or brings joy or apears to get ahead, someone else has to come over and take it away. Enough said.

If im wrong sorry b4 hand.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Good song bruddah, but i have a hawaii music collection. You know you could always give a bruddah a break you know? I haven't been home since the early 80s. So competing against me is like fighting a one armed man. Geez i meant alot. lol But you got to admit not bad for someone so faraway from home so long.
You haven't been back to Hawaiʻi since the 1980s?

Thanks to the iTunes store, the Google Play store, Amazon.com, and websites like Mele.com, it's fairly simple for almost anyone to acquire a fairly decent Hawaiian music collection nowadays. Although I have approximately 2,000 CDs in my Hawaiian music collection, I can't claim to "have it all", since I don't have much music recorded before the mid-1960s.

Whenever I'm away from the Big Island, I manage to keep up with the latest in local music and news by streaming it from my tablet or phone using TuneIn Radio.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
You haven't been back to Hawaiʻi since the 1980s?

Thanks to the iTunes store, the Google Play store, Amazon.com, and websites like Mele.com, it's fairly simple for almost anyone to acquire a fairly decent Hawaiian music collection nowadays. Although I have approximately 2,000 CDs in my Hawaiian music collection, I can't claim to "have it all", since I don't have much music recorded before the mid-1960s.

Whenever I'm away from the Big Island, I manage to keep up with the latest in local music and news by streaming it from my tablet or phone using TuneIn Radio.
Yeah bruddah, im just getting back to my roots again two years ago. I mean all those years I haven't forgotten my home and she has always been in my heart. Its just not as serious as its been the last two years.
Yeah i try to keep track on my phone with events and some music. Ya bruddah it sounds like you have an awsome collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii