Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:54 PM

100 posts, read 138,600 times

Advertisements

I didn't say your 2 year old daughter cost more than you did. I said mine cost more than me. I bought the tickets during a US and North America sale. The coding was set up to give children a 75% prorated discount...apparently to correspond with the normal US fares which price children at 75% of the adult price. Except, as above, Hawaii is not part of the US and 2 year olds usually cost the same as adults on Pacific flights. The effect for me was an extra $85 (above the adult ticket price) to fly a 2 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Mmmmn gourmet picnic.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 PM

781 posts, read 736,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Nine hours with no food!

Oh, the horror!
Having to read your idiotic comments, there's the real horror...

Old 06-15-2014, 08:42 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Tasty looking bento boxes. Well, almost bento boxes, there's usually rice in bento boxes. You could sell each one for a lot of money to the folks who didn't bring food. I'm not sure if the airlines would allow the whole tomatoes, though. We once tried to take some apples with us on a flight to the mainland and they didn't want to let us take them. We only had two so we ate them since we were early for the flight. They didn't like the seeds, so we probably could also have cored the apples and still been able to bring them.

We will be going on vacation later this week, I haven't even looked to see if they will serve food on the airplane. Not even sure how long the flight will be, it's between Kailua-Kona and Phoenix. The house sitters just flew over from the mainland, but they flew first class on a 777 and they really liked it. Apparently food was included, they said the flight crew was always trying to feed them.

We won't be flying first class, nor will we be on a 777 that I know of. Oh well, it's faster than swimming, I guess. We may as well pack up some munchies to take with in case we will need them. We won't be flying Air New Zealand, though, or we'd already know that there wouldn't be food.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Those meals on Hawaiian Airlines aren't exactly "free" -- folks usually pay for them via higher airfares.
Well - perhaps. I can say, specific to the AKL-HNL route, over 90% of the time where Hawaiian Airlines and Air New Zealand compete with nonstop flights with at least a 7 day trip, Hawaiian Airlines is cheaper than Air New Zealand - and bag fees are no charge and food is no charge for Economy.

Air New Zealand offers Star Alliance miles and redemption - that is why they are generally more expensive.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 PM

You must mean the HNL-AKL route...I've never seen Hawaiian come up cheaper on the AKL-HNL route.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:56 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm not sure if the airlines would allow the whole tomatoes, though. We once tried to take some apples with us on a flight to the mainland and they didn't want to let us take them. We only had two so we ate them since we were early for the flight. They didn't like the seeds, so we probably could also have cored the apples and still been able to bring them.
It's not the airlines that examine fruits and plants etc., and confiscates some of them on outbound flights to the US Mainland... it's the Agricultural Inspection team.

Quote:
All baggage bound from Hawaii to the U. S. Mainland is subject to pre-flight inspection by the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Restrictions on the movement of fruits, plants, live snails, and other items from Hawaii to the Mainland are enforced to prevent the spread of fruit flies and other hazardous plant insects and diseases.

Agriculture Inspection — Hawaii Airports
And for more info on USDA regulations and inspection procedures, here's the index of their detailed info...

USDA APHIS | Plant Health

Old 06-16-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
You must mean the HNL-AKL route...I've never seen Hawaiian come up cheaper on the AKL-HNL route.
Ok. Let's start a couple of weeks out. In USD.

7/3 to 7/9 AKL to HNL return

Air New Zealand $2,284, Hawaiian $1,991

7/17 to 7/23 AKL to HNL return

Air New Zealand $1,699, Hawaiian $1,503

7/24 to 7/30 AKL to HNL return

Air New Zealand $1,808, Hawaiian $1,063

This is Sunday, 10pm Hawaii Time on 6/15. It may (probably will) change - but the first 3 airfares I looked up, Hawaiian was cheaper - and sometimes much cheaper (7/24 to 7/30), airfare leaving AKL to HNL. In economy on Hawaiian, bag fees are no charge international - and so is food.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:06 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - perhaps. I can say, specific to the AKL-HNL route, over 90% of the time where Hawaiian Airlines and Air New Zealand compete with nonstop flights with at least a 7 day trip, Hawaiian Airlines is cheaper than Air New Zealand - and bag fees are no charge and food is no charge for Economy.

Air New Zealand offers Star Alliance miles and redemption - that is why they are generally more expensive
If one's booking a flight from the continental United States or Hawaiʻi, I agree that HA's flights on the AKL-HNL route are generally cheaper than NZ's. However, the OP is located in Aotearoa (i.e. New Zealand). In order to check out the OP's results, I used a "proxy server" that was located in Auckland and checked fares on www.hawaiianairlines.co.nz and www.airnewzealand.co.nz. To my surprise, Air New Zealand's fares on the AKL-HNL route were usually lower than Hawaiian's. I'm no expert on airline IT departments, but I suspect that the difference in results might have something to do with NZ's testing of the IATA's "New Data Distribution Capacity" (NDC).

Old 06-16-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If one's booking a flight from the continental United States or Hawaiʻi, I agree that HA's flights on the AKL-HNL route are generally cheaper than NZ's. However, the OP is located in Aotearoa (i.e. New Zealand). In order to check out the OP's results, I used a "proxy server" that was located in Auckland and checked fares on www.hawaiianairlines.co.nz and www.airnewzealand.co.nz. To my surprise, Air New Zealand's fares on the AKL-HNL route were usually lower than Hawaiian's. I'm no expert on airline IT departments, but I suspect that the difference in results might have something to do with NZ's testing of the IATA's "New Data Distribution Capacity" (NDC).
I realized when I woke it is actually a bit more complicated than looking at the Air New Zealand or Hawaiian Airlines local site. While an airline ticket can certainly be bought on those sites, it isn't like the US where most tickets are bought online. Far less than 50% of the tickets sold are coming from Air New Zealand and Hawaiian Airline site - most are bought as packages from travel companies who already committed to the seats at a predetermined price - the online air only prices are muddy at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii