Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:19 AM

100 posts, read 138,977 times

Advertisements

Seriously? Air New Zealand, you suck.

-end rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 02:03 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Presumably you bought either the "Seat" or "Seat plus Bag" ticket, which are both "Meal Not Included", and saved yourself the 50 NZD in the process over "The Works' which includes a meal, right?

So what is the complaint?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Presumably you bought either the "Seat" or "Seat plus Bag" ticket, which are both "Meal Not Included", and saved yourself the 50 NZD in the process over "The Works' which includes a meal, right?

So what is the complaint?
$50 for crappy airline food (per person, each way) isn't worth complaining about?

The problem arises because Air New Zealand does not know Hawaii is part of the US. (US flights include food.) Give them a call; they'll tell you Hawaii is a Pacific Island. (Pacific Island flights don't include food.)

It is a good thing Air New Zealand executives didn't run Obama's presidential campaign. The birthers would have stumped them.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:53 AM

242 posts, read 393,161 times
So you're too cheap to buy the option that includes on-board food and you're too ill-prepared to bring your own food beforehand. I don't know what your problem is - clearly you knew the fare class (and restrictions) when you made the purchase, so I fail to see how this is ANZ's fault.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
So you're too cheap to buy the option that includes on-board food and you're too ill-prepared to bring your own food beforehand. I don't know what your problem is - clearly you knew the fare class (and restrictions) when you made the purchase, so I fail to see how this is ANZ's fault.
First of all, ANZ is a bank. I could go on a rant about Australian banks, but that would belong in another forum.

Second of all, I haven't flown yet. I will be bringing food, and it will be considerably better than anything Air New Zealand will have on offer. I suppose given a choice between spending $300 for food on an airplane and bringing my own food, I prefer the latter. But on a nine hour flight, why bother giving the option?

And I can answer that last one: Air New Zealand is a government owned monopoly. They make no secret of their business model which is to lower prices on routes with competition just enough to encourage the competition to stop competing. It's downright un-American, I tell you. Some of you are probably checking the internet right now to find that Hawaiian Airlines flys Auckland to Honolulu. That is true, but except for a couple of intercut routes, Air New Zealand owns the domestic market (even the non-Air New Zealand domestic carriers are partially owned by Air New Zealand). Getting to Auckland is often more difficult/expensive than getting out of the country.

I would probably not have gone to Hawaii at all (or at least not on the way to the US), except Hawaiian Airlines started flying the route last year. Air New Zealand has dropped prices accordingly...I realize I'm part of the problem, buying the cheapest ticket possible, but we simply could not have gone at all if the flight had cost another $2000 (NZ). I do not expect Hawaiian to be in the game much longer.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post

I would probably not have gone to Hawaii at all (or at least not on the way to the US), except Hawaiian Airlines started flying the route last year.
Hawaiian Airlines would have fed for you for free in Economy. They'd also feed you "on the way to the US" - oh wait, Hawaii is the US.

Although, if you meant to the mainland, they also would have fed you for free in Economy.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hawaiian Airlines would have fed for you for free in Economy. They'd also feed you "on the way to the US" - oh wait, Hawaii is the US.

Although, if you meant to the mainland, they also would have fed you for free in Economy.
Yep Hawaiian would have fed me, but the total cost of the trip would have gone up by $2k. Had I money to throw around, I would have.

As above New Zealanders (and Air New Zealand) do not consider Hawaii to be part of the US, though there is a joke about how Captain Cook was killed by Americans.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Perhaps if you tuck away a few extra Vegemite sandwiches you can sell them to the folks on the flight who forgot to bring food? They usually won't let you bring fresh fruit on the plane, but dried things are easy enough.

Also, if you empty your water bottle before TSA and keep the empty bottle, you can refill it from a water fountain before getting on the plane. Some places sell those dry powders you can add to a bottle of water to flavor it, too, if you wanted more than merely water.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Perhaps if you tuck away a few extra Vegemite sandwiches you can sell them to the folks on the flight who forgot to bring food? They usually won't let you bring fresh fruit on the plane, but dried things are easy enough.

Also, if you empty your water bottle before TSA and keep the empty bottle, you can refill it from a water fountain before getting on the plane. Some places sell those dry powders you can add to a bottle of water to flavor it, too, if you wanted more than merely water.
Does nobody know anything about New Zealand? Vegemite is Australian. Kiwis eat Marmite...and it's different from British Marmite.

We're taking a 7 course picnic. It will not include any mixed drinks using alcohol from Duty Free...tthat would be illegal, or at least against airline policies.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:51 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Nope, I don't know nothing about Kiwi's. One of these years I'd really like to visit NZ, but it's gonna be several years at least.

Several decades ago there was a popular song that had Vegemite in it, otherwise nobody would know diddly about it.

So what's Marmite? How is New Zealand Marmite different from British Marmite? Will you be having Marmite sandwiches in your 7 course picnic?

Didn't the Royals just visit your island not that long ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii