Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Breaking News... Health Department: Hawaii man does not have Ebola

Quote:
The state Health Department has determined that a man hospitalized in isolation at the Queen's Medical Center does not meet the criteria for testing for Ebola and the man is no longer under evaluation for possible Ebola infection.

"The hospital acted in the best interests of the community, with an abundance of caution," said Health Director Dr. Linda Rosen said in a news release. "We commend the facility for being prepared and remaining vigilant regarding the risk of Ebola. After investigation by the health department, it was determined that the individual did not meet the clinical or travel exposure criteria for an Ebola infection."

Health Department: Hawaii man does not have Ebola - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 03:19 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Breaking News... Health Department: Hawaii man does not have Ebola
Fantastic news!

Old 10-02-2014, 04:06 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,443 times
How much did that just cost? How many just concluded to vacation close to home.

Notice in Texas the first case is now known to have lied. He didn't have a fever, no symptoms, but lied on form.

Many people lie on those endless forms. They do not want their vacation plans squashed.

So what do we do?

BTW follow the money trail and you may conclude this is due in part to a corporate takeover.
Mining Weekly report that a firm is positioned now to buy two huge West African mines at 90+ discount.
That firm employed the Ebola bomber.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:10 PM

749 posts, read 852,414 times
"does not meet the criteria for testing for Ebola and the man is no longer under evaluation for possible Ebola infection"

Whew, what a relief and Even More reassuring, from the same article:

Benjamin N. Haynes CDC spokesman, said Thursday: "We can't say definitively it's not Ebola if no test is done, but it doesn't appear to be Ebola based on symptoms and history."

Cool.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:58 PM

111 posts, read 181,265 times
I think the guy suspected that he was exposed and got here as quickly as he could....The best medical care in the World and free....Paid for by the American taxpayer.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Dr. Kozak,
I read your article and defense of Queens. Not acceptable. Information leaked out of that hospital and traveled around the world.

You failed to mention that in Texas a doctor sent someone home with the wrong medications. We need to drill home the message that antibiotics should NOT be used unless a bacteria.

Stand on your feet and shout.

You also, in defending flights to Liberia and Sierra Leone, some how forgot where you live. You live in the USA where trial lawyers have helped make sure it is the most expensive health in the world.

PBS.org still reports 44 million Americans with zero health care.

Then we have all the illegals and seniors.

If Ebola becomes endemic in these areas, each year we will have more and more deaths.

And for what? So we can go defend some iron ore mines owned by a billionaire?

The medical industry, as I read your glowing support of Queens, should treat Ebola as an opportunity to whisk anyone with a hang nail off to isolation because it is prudent. Prudent to whom? The billing department?

Doctors, nurses, paramedics, are going to be more hesitant to provide vital care to any person of color if they know the borders are open. "Excuse me sir, see you just collasped, before giving CPR we have a new travel history form. Sir can you hear me?

So I disagree. The idea of ending air travel to countries wirh out breaks is valid.
The acceptable way is the same way we prevent rabies. Mandatory quarantine.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 PM

59 posts, read 82,974 times
It is very hearting to hear that..

Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
As former resident of Hawaii, I've sometimes wondered if it is possible (theoretically, at least) for Ebola to "go wild" in the islands. Its primary natural wild host in Africa is thought to be fruit bats, I believe. I know it's extremely unlikely, but if somehow the virus ever "got loose" in Hawaii (perhaps brought into the islands by an infected human, and somehow transmitted to a Hawaiian fruit bat), could it establish a foothold in the tropical rain forests of Hawaii?

It would require a very unlikely series of events - so many, and probably so unlikely, as to make it almost impossible in practice - but Hawaii is probably the only state in the US that has the same ecosystem in which the virus thrives in Africa. That would be one invasive species the Islands could truly do without, in my opinion.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:01 AM

189 posts, read 260,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
- but Hawaii is probably the only state in the US that has the same ecosystem in which the virus thrives in Africa. That would be one invasive species the Islands could truly do without, in my opinion.
This ecosystem that you are talking about is one where human hygiene is almost inexisitent, medical advice is ignored and hospitals are no better equipped than your kitchen. HI is very far away from that.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 PM

It is important to watch and learn from other people's mistakes: Hopefully, someone in Hawaii is paying attention. Now that a 2nd nurse who was supposed to be in quarantine we know that:

1. Despite fact she directly cared for patient known to have Ebola

2. Despite knowing a co-worker became infected

3. Despite being required to self-monitor.

4. Despite fact fever being a warning sign.

5. Despite knowing she had a fever.

6. Despite telling the CDC she had a fever.

A person infected with, and showing a symptom of Ebola boarded an airplane in Chicago. Why? Because her fever at the time was less than 100.4 F

I am not an expert, however, experts are making all sorts of claims. This expert I agree with:

Thomas Geisbert, a professor at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston who has researched the Ebola virus for decades, said it isn’t entirely clear when an infected person actually becomes symptomatic. “We don’t know with 100 percent certainty” when an infected person begins shedding the virus, Geisbert said. “People go out and say things that are black and white, and they are getting themselves in trouble.” He agreed that, typically, patients become contagious only after developing symptoms, and as the level of virus mounts in their blood and other bodily fluids. But he there have been anecdotal cases in the past of “super shedders” – people who, for some genetic reason, give off much more of the virus than the average patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: