Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Some GMO stuff is a little creepy to me - trying to cross shrimp with wheat to increase protein content, for example, sounds reasonable but I still picture whole fields of wheat trying to slither away at harvest time!
I suppose that reaction is natural if it were anything at all like traditional "crossing" of breeds, involving entire genomes of unrelated species... but it's actually not anything like that. Swapping out a single gene or two, in the midst of an entire genome consisting of thousands of genes, is nothing like you imagine. Nothing.

What it is most like is substituting a very small snip of computer code for another in an existing program, primarily for the purpose of turning some innate property of the organism on or off. Each of those snips of code consists of only 4 tiny bio-chemical bits, designated by the letters... A - C - G - T... arranged in various combinations and sequences. In and off themselves the place where the donor snips came from is completely irrelevant, just as copying a tiny bit of computer code from a game program to a financial program would not change the latter into a game.

That's why Dr. Gonsalves correctly said (paraphrased) "It was a papaya before, and it's still a papaya afterwards," about his development at Cornell of the UH Rainbow RSVR (Ring Spot Virus Resistant) Papaya for the University of Hawai'i. The solution to the infectation which was killing the Hawaiian Papaya industry, was to substitute a biochemical switch for self-immunization against viruses which was turned "ON" in the donor organism, for the natural one which was turned "OFF."

Yep, that's what that simple change made possible... the papayas now inoculate themselves against the RSVirus by turning on their own immunity system to combat it, rather than leaving that ability turned off. What's there to fear from that?

Old 12-28-2014, 06:28 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
The bad PR of fighting labeling is odd in a general biz plan, Starbucks is hurting not helping themselves with this stance I believe. Back in the 1980's they did not care about the coffee growing countries and thought no one would notice, now they think no one notices this.

Today many consumers Do care about the 'little details' in a company's practices, while avoiding a store like Walmarts may be too expensive for most, avoiding a specialty store like Starbucks is easy.

I doubt people are afraid of the type of modifying you mentioned. I think most people would just like to be told what they and their children are buying, ingesting and supporting with their tax dollars.

Btw, thanks so much for keeping this thread going, "stink", snark, off point, whatever, LOL, each post puts it out there for folks to think twice before setting foot in Starbucks again!

Old 12-28-2014, 06:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
The bad PR of fighting labeling is odd in a general biz plan, Starbucks is hurting not helping themselves with this stance I believe. Back in the 1980's they did not care about the coffee growing countries and thought no one would notice, now they think no one notices this.
I doubt must Starbucks coffee drinker today were drinking coffee in the 80's and have no idea about where they grow coffee or issues. I doubt 90% even know what GMO is. I'm even struggling with remembering Starbucks even being around in the 80's.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I doubt must Starbucks coffee drinker today were drinking coffee in the 80's and have no idea about where they grow coffee or issues. I doubt 90% even know what GMO is. I'm even struggling with remembering Starbucks even being around in the 80's.
The first store opened in 1971 in Seattle.
Original Starbucks

Old 12-28-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The first store opened in 1971 in Seattle.
Original Starbucks
I didn't doubt that - I just doubt most people who frequent Starbucks were coffee drinkers in the 80's (as in, they are a younger demographic) - I'm not saying they weren't there - but I don't remember any Starbuck's in Chicago in late 80's when I was going to college - I'm don't remember any in San Francisco in the early 90's - I'm sure they were there - they seemed to explode in the late 90's in my mind.

I just personally don't believe the average Starbuck's drinker knows how they source the beans or have any idea what GMO is.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Just on issues of what is truth or not, please try to remember that just because something hasn't been found doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Does a falling tree in the forest make noise even if we are not there?

Old 12-30-2014, 02:19 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
Starbucks brought European coffee culture to the USA. They deserve credit for opening little urban oasis everywhere. One can have a cheap hot drink, pluck themselves on a sofa or chair and won't be bothered. They actually offered free newspapers. Critics did not understand how a shop can make money without turning tables quick and serving liquor or food. Yet they did! Of course they attracted a young urban clientele, many students, shoppers, even business folks to sit down for some quick chats. The next were the corporate offices they conquered. But coffee houses were always synonymous with politics and hotheaded folks arguing and debating.

All of these aforementioned groups were higher in their education, more engaged in politics, than i.e. fast food shoppers and blue collar workers. Child labor in coffee fields? Organic coffee? Women's rights or farm owner ship? Bird friendly coffee? All these issues came on to the map mainly through Starbucks existence. Therefore this boycott will be much noticed in their headquarters. Even comments to a barista and store managers will be wired up the command chain. The new GMO potato was not automatically picked up by the fast food companies because of exactly these concerns. McDonalds sales are not good and a similar boycott would really bring their franchisees in trouble.

So, if McDonalds says no (for now), Starbucks will have to do the same and show support for its customers

Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Starbucks brought European coffee culture to the USA. They deserve credit for opening little urban oasis everywhere. One can have a cheap hot drink, pluck themselves on a sofa or chair and won't be bothered. They actually offered free newspapers. Critics did not understand how a shop can make money without turning tables quick and serving liquor or food. Yet they did! Of course they attracted a young urban clientele, many students, shoppers, even business folks to sit down for some quick chats. The next were the corporate offices they conquered. But coffee houses were always synonymous with politics and hotheaded folks arguing and debating.

All of these aforementioned groups were higher in their education, more engaged in politics, than i.e. fast food shoppers and blue collar workers. Child labor in coffee fields? Organic coffee? Women's rights or farm owner ship? Bird friendly coffee? All these issues came on to the map mainly through Starbucks existence. Therefore this boycott will be much noticed in their headquarters. Even comments to a barista and store managers will be wired up the command chain. The new GMO potato was not automatically picked up by the fast food companies because of exactly these concerns. McDonalds sales are not good and a similar boycott would really bring their franchisees in trouble.

So, if McDonalds says no (for now), Starbucks will have to do the same and show support for its customers
Exactly, many good points there!!

Old 12-30-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post

Therefore this boycott will be much noticed in their headquarters. Even comments to a barista and store managers will be wired up the command chain. The new GMO potato was not automatically picked up by the fast food companies because of exactly these concerns. McDonalds sales are not good and a similar boycott would really bring their franchisees in trouble.

Uh, what boycott? They didn't seem to get the memo.

"Record Q4 EPS of $0.77; Non-GAAP EPS jumps 23% to a record $0.74 excluding non-routine items

Comp sales increase 5% globally

Consolidated net revenues increase 10% to a Q4 record $4.2 billion

Company grows dividend 23% and increases outlook for a strong FY2015"

Starbucks Reports Record Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2014 Results | Starbucks Newsroom

Old 12-30-2014, 03:41 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
You don't need to see a boycott reflected in an immediate drop in profits, viper. A shot in front of the bow is often all what's needed to get the suits going internally. Customer retention, easier picking of top employees by competitors, dealing with minimum wage issues & health benefits, rent negotiations, etc is all so much more difficult if public opinion is against you.

Along the way the revolution also still needs a decent cup of joe to succeed. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: