Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
What does good coffee taste like? To me, all coffee tastes bitter, at least all that I have ever tasted.
Try some Gesha Acatenango from Guatemala if you can find some. Roasted full Vienna it's the best coffee I've ever had. A little pricey, but no more so than Kona Select. AND, if it isn't less bitter, you can add some rum and kahlua to it. I would think 4 parts of one to one part of the other would do quite nicely, which part is which is up to you.

Just to clarify, you need to have coffee in one part of the equation.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 PM

749 posts, read 852,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Try some Gesha Acatenango from Guatemala if you can find some. Roasted full Vienna it's the best coffee I've ever had. A little pricey, but no more so than Kona Select. AND, if it isn't less bitter, you can add some rum and kahlua to it. I would think 4 parts of one to one part of the other would do quite nicely, which part is which is up to you.

Just to clarify, you need to have coffee in one part of the equation.

Well that would just ruin the rum And the Kahlua!!

Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
its never over so to speak. and its not about GMO either its all about the patenting of plants and animals to control the worlds food source.

Mansanto you say... well Judge Clarence Thomas who sits on the the SCOTUS was one of those who voted for the patenting of plants. Before becoming a Judge he worked for Mansanto.
You have a couple of inaccuracies there... the company you are trying to refer to is Monsanto. And plant patents actually started with the Plant Patent Act of 1930.

Plant breeders have been patenting plants ever since to protect their commercial interests in the new varieties they develop. The patents today last 20 years. The very first GMO "RoundUp Ready" soybeans that were patented have already had their patents expire, and anyone at all may now grow them without license or payments to Monsanto.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:05 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Quote:
What does good coffee taste like? To me, all coffee tastes bitter, at least all that I have ever tasted. The only way I can drink coffee is IF it is mostly, not coffee. I have been told it is only because I haven't tried, "GOOD" coffee. So, while we were on the big island I went on a search for the "GOOD" coffee. I tried many, many, MANY different coffees. Both Kona and Kaʻu. What I found is that they all taste like....coffee!

One good thing did come out of my search. I learned that they sell some great Laulau up at the Kaʻu Coffee Mill!
real pure coffee has a slightly bitter taste, you mix with water and add sugar to balance the flavor.... you can then manipulate the flavor adding milk at different temperatures and making foam with it, or you can add pure vanilla or cinnamon

but starbucks is nothing like that, starbucks is chemicals with fake coffee flavor mixed in

Old 11-25-2014, 03:07 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Irene, you are right. But the coffee served in the USA before Starbucks came was worse.

Starbucks is not really selling coffee but the sugar and milk in it, the saying goes. That's where the GMO labeling would hurt them, because the grain the cows eat is GMO corn. Their sugar is from GMO sugar beets.

That the argument about GMO would be over as OpenD says is just the opposite: What I see there are more and more. It's not about science, it's about consumer choice. Consumers don't like to be patronized in their preferences and neither does a democracy.
hawaii produces quite nice coffee, on the bitter side but if you like strong coffee is very good

Old 11-25-2014, 09:36 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
hawaii produces quite nice coffee, on the bitter side but if you like strong coffee is very good
Not necessarily the way many would describe Kona coffee. You can prepare a not-strong cup of Kona coffee by using a light roast, or less ground coffee per cup, or both. And some of us enjoy it without sugar.

Most coffee experts classify Kona coffee as a medium body coffee, such as this...

Quote:
Most batches of Kona coffee have a medium body with floral aromas and light acidity and hints of sweetness. Better batches of Kona are typically richer with a distinctive, but not overpowering acidity and a medium body
Kona - The Coffee Wiki
And most coffee has at least some bitterness. It's part of the flavor profile for what we identify as coffee taste. Of course, it all gets a LOT more complicated than that when you look at the flavor wheels that professional coffee tasters use to categorize coffees. Here's a link to one of those.

https://counterculturecoffee.com/lea...s-flavor-wheel

Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
real pure coffee has a slightly bitter taste, you mix with water and add sugar to balance the flavor.... you can then manipulate the flavor adding milk at different temperatures and making foam with it, or you can add pure vanilla or cinnamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And most coffee has at least some bitterness. It's part of the flavor profile for what we identify as coffee taste.
Ok, so plain black coffee is SUPPOSED to be bitter. Thanks Irene-cd and OpenD! For years people have been telling me that I just hadn't tried "good" coffee. Now I know that no matter how "good" the coffee is, it's still going to taste like crap unless I add a bunch of sugar and milk.
Thanks again!

Old 11-25-2014, 01:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Ok, so plain black coffee is SUPPOSED to be bitter. Thanks Irene-cd and OpenD! For years people have been telling me that I just hadn't tried "good" coffee. Now I know that no matter how "good" the coffee is, it's still going to taste like crap unless I add a bunch of sugar and milk.
Thanks again!
Try next time your in starbucks, ask for your coffee to be brewed on the clover. The process doesn't take the natural oils from the beans as regular drip does. This also effects taste.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Try next time your in starbucks, ask for your coffee to be brewed on the clover. The process doesn't take the natural oils from the beans as regular drip does. This also effects taste.
Or, on the other hand, don't go into Starbucks, if you're looking for some good coffee.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Or, on the other hand, don't go into Starbucks, if you're looking for some good coffee.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: